Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c4330895df33901ba68e4aa01f8c378eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ - Lt. Kaydel Ko Connix Jacket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: TLJ - Lt. Kaydel Ko Connix Jacket Reply with quote

I just finished my new Lt. Connix jacket, as seen in the "Vanity Fair" shoot with Carrie and Billie. It took me 3 days to draft and construct the jacket, and 4 spools of thread due to all the quilting Shocked I love this jacket and hope to get it submitted this weekend Very Happy

My build page is here, with detailed notes. I try to take pictures as I go, for future reference for others.
https://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/starwarscostumes/kaydelkoconnixtljresistancejacket?n=0

So many lines!

Understitched the lining, I love this part Mr. Green

I used a heavy duty snap over the bust, to prevent bursting out of the jacket with normal movement.

I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out Heat Transfer Vinyl to apply to the jacket front. I made a weathered looking rebel symbol in photoshop and used the Silhouette studio to make a cut file.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my submission pics and wore it to a troop to treat run it. People loved it, but thought I was Leia or from Star Trek LOL Laughing

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota) on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ackredies ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously great work.
Well done.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job! I'd love to do her as well, thanks for the great progress photos!

https://www.facebook.com/ciaobirdiecosplay
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has been discussed re: this costume is some of the detail on the back of the jacket...

please see these screen captures:

Also, for the TLJ version w/the jacket...I think brown pants are more appropriate.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not images of Connix, but of generic officers. Best not to misdirect people saying that they need that belt on the back for Connix. After watching the movie, and getting opinions from a dozen other people, we all agreed that there was no belt. Until we get screen shots though, I would not add that as a required item for Lt Connix.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I managed to get done for that coat for Connix... Has yours been approved? And if so, what specific references were you able to send in? I have the full princess seams in the back just in case....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1550480311701593&set=pcb.1550480355034922&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1550398335043124&set=pcb.1550398361709788&type=3&theater
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae Quee wrote:
These are not images of Connix, but of generic officers. Best not to misdirect people saying that they need that belt on the back for Connix. After watching the movie, and getting opinions from a dozen other people, we all agreed that there was no belt. Until we get screen shots though, I would not add that as a required item for Lt Connix.

I guess I would have to wonder why Connix would be different from the others...
the aim is to have generic and Connix characters the same with Connix only requiring the hair...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Benae Quee wrote:

I guess I would have to wonder why Connix would be different from the others...
the aim is to have generic and Connix characters the same with Connix only requiring the hair...

From a real world costuming standpoint, I would assume that a large number of jackets were all made to a generic sizing by the costume department. They then found actors that fit that generic size range, and used the buckles on the back to adjust the fit to each actor. The hero coat, like Billie wears, would have been built and tailored to her measurements - eliminating the need for the buckle on the back.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with Kristin.

I've watched the movie twice now, and I can't see any evidence of a belt in the back. There is a clear shot on Connix's back towards the end of the film, and I have had it confirmed by multiple people - both members and non-RL members - that they also cannot see any belt.

My theory is the same as Kristin's: that Billie has her jacket tailored to her measurements as she plays a face character. It would make sense for the extras' jackets to have the strap to quickly adjust to people's different sizes. This is also somewhat evident in that Connix has different boots to everyone else: the extras wearing the same costume appear to have low mid-calf boots that look like the Po-Zu Poe ones (I.E. a low-cut boot with the straps round the sides), whereas Connix wears a higher, military cut boot with the small strap on the side.

There is photographic evidence that the generic officers have a belt, but no photographs that show that Connix has one. Unless there is a photograph proving that she has a belt, I don't think those screen caps can realistically be used to point people in the right direction, as they are not of Connix herself.

I am also having difficulty pin-pointing the part in the movie where these screncaps come from, as there are no scenes - from what I can remember - that show Resistance officers and FO stormtroopers in the same shot. I am going to see the film again later today, so will double check that myself.
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good about the belt...and makes sense...

so...now on to "princess seams" vs one seam up the back?

Arthrax (Rebecca Fisher-Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Sounds good about the belt...and makes sense...

so...now on to "princess seams" vs one seam up the back?

I have mixed feelings on the princess seams. I personally believe that the jackets worn in TLJ and different than the ones worn in TFA. I will have to find my reference photos for the TFA ones later, but I'm fairly certain that the TFA jackets are mainly constructed with one centre seam down the back - which is why I made mine in that way as no reference photos from TLJ had publicly been released at that point - just the exclusive photo shown at NYCC that didn't make it into the film. Connix can be seen briefly wearing the same jacket - presumably with the centre seam - in TFA: when Han and Leia reunite.

I need to re-watch TLJ, but I think they do have the princess seams.

So this makes it a bit confusing, that the TFA jackets - presumably including Connix's TFA jacket - has a centre seam, with the TLJ potentially having princess seams.
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those screen caps are not from the movie The Last Jedi. I just watched the Video Star Wars: The Last Jedi New York Comic Con Experience on Youtube and saw that image there. Those screen caps were taken at 0:43.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNjwsz8bLLI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: