Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc4090e7b9453471308ac7b23b2d93c5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Scavenger Rey Costume Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Scavenger Rey Costume Build Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm collecting all my photos/updates from my Scavenger Rey build into one giant thread for advice, critiques, and other fun things! This is my very first homemade cosplay (well, partially homemade) and I'm super excited about it!

Here is a photo of my shirt and pants before modifying/dyeing them. I need to trim the sleeves on the shirt and add ties to the cuffs of the pants, as well as tea dye the shirt and full on dye the pants with Dharma Safari Grey and Ecru dyes. I'm wearing the Po-Zu Rey boots in the photo, so my shoes are already screen accurate.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TJGEumb.jpg?1[/img]

I've also included a link to my as yet undyed arm wraps. They're just cotton bandages from Walgreens. It's a little bulky around the wrist, but this was just a practice wrap - it will be less clunky for the finished costume.

I have enough time before work to start tea dyeing my shirt and wraps. I will post pictures of the finished versions once they're done!
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! I dyed my pants, as well as tea dyed my arm wraps and shirt. Unfortunately, the lighting in my apartment building is super yellow so everything has a bit of a yellow filter, but I like how it turned out!

For the pants, I used a ratio of 50/50 for both colors and used about half a tablespoon of both. For the wraps and shirt, I used about fifteen Liptons tea bags.

Here are a few photos. Over the next couple of days - it's time to finally tackle the wrap dress!! Also, the pants look a little spotty because they're still a little damp - even a turn through the dryer hasn't dried them out completely yet.

gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with the pant ! I really love the color, it looks very good Very Happy
For the shirt, don't forget to modify the hem at the bottom too. It should be straight, not curved in front and back. Then for the arm wrap you can weathered it by spraying some paint (black acrylic mixed with water) on half of it. You'll have one white side and another dirty, so when you'll roll it on your arm, the contrast will appear better on pics and in person
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gallica wrote:
Nice job with the pant ! I really love the color, it looks very good Very Happy
For the shirt, don't forget to modify the hem at the bottom too. It should be straight, not curved in front and back. Then for the arm wrap you can weathered it by spraying some paint (black acrylic mixed with water) on half of it. You'll have one white side and another dirty, so when you'll roll it on your arm, the contrast will appear better on pics and in person

Thank you so much for your help and your compliment! I think I might give the pants one more quick bath in RIT Frost Grey because they're super light in daylight, but I'm very pleased with how they turned out!

Tonight, I sewed ties onto the cuffs of my pants and sewed my tabards together. I've got a few photos to show how they turned out

Next up - gathering the tops of my tabards so they're not in the way and fixing my arm wraps. Also, at some point I'll need to find or make a sidebag as well. As always, i welcome any advice! And I'll definitely post some daylight pictures soon!
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the chance to debut my Rey at a con! I need to fix the arm wraps, shorten the tabards, and get a sidebag, but other than than, any thoughts?

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm absolutely not an expert in Rey, but it looks great Smile
And I would just add... take care to that left leg and loop when going upstairs :p

What's wrong with arms that you want to fix ?
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Well I'm absolutely not an expert in Rey, but it looks great Smile
And I would just add... take care to that left leg and loop when going upstairs :p

What's wrong with arms that you want to fix ?

Thanks! Very Happy The arm wraps keep slipping down my arms and I need to find a way to secure them so they stay up my arm instead of falling down by the elbow/wrist. I also need to work on covering up my tattoo, but that's a different story Razz
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what I was guessing. So, you basically made a sleeve with them right ? Or do you wrap them around your arm everytime?
If it's a sleeve, what you could do, is to sew a loop of elastic band inside the top part of the "sleeve", just over the elbow so it's block by the elbow.
Please take care to get it not too thigh for blood circulation ^^ (tusken speaking, know many who go too thigh)

For the tattoos, got someone here in my base refuse for same reason. No miracles: Make-up ^^ Or if you find something ok for that, you could have a long sleeve skin-color t-shirt which mimics the arm, like you can find some mimicking tattoos. Not sure however the sleeves would render well on such large section.
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using sport compression sleeves under the arm wrap is the best way to keep it in place I think. There is a topic about it here : http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83368
Also, I would add a bit a black acrylic to weathered it more, but otherwise your costume looks really good ! Well done !
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your colors look lovely! I especially like your pants. Great build so far.

The tabard/wrap length looks okay to me in your most recent photos here; if you shorten it, don't shorten very much. (A good rule of thumb is that the loop and the loose ends should all just brush the top of your boot when standing straight up.)

Your arm wraps should go higher up your arm, so that the top is around the top of your bicep. (There should only be a a couple of inches of bare skin at your shoulder.) I use skin-toned compression sleeves under mine, which helps keep the wraps in place. The ones I have are "The Elixir" brand and I just got them on Amazon. They've worked great for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: