Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0bb87411aa7ed536341b98b83acfef0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My first 30 days in office - a newsletter to Mos Espa Base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Espa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwstarfan ()
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: My first 30 days in office - a newsletter to Mos Espa Base Reply with quote

Hello Mos Espa Base. This is your newly elected Base Commanding Officer, Ian Johns. I wanted to share some news and projects that we’ve started in my first 30 days in office.

1) The “cabinet” positions which will help serve the base
2) The Social Media Presence of Mos Espa Base
3) Projects in the works

Cabinet: The following positions have been assigned.

Executive Officer: Cliff Snyder
As many already know, I nominated Cliff Snyder as my Executive Officer during the election Q&A. Cliff brings organizational and business skills to the table along with a background in volunteer organization.

State Captain/Event Coordinator:
A little history: Rebel Legion Bases once spanned several states. With Base Command sometimes located several states away, a state captain was needed to help organize troop events and conduct base business for each state. (Of course there were far fewer troops per year compared to now.) As membership grew, the states formed independent bases. I decided to honor our history by creating 3 State Captain/Event Coordinators for Mos Espa Base to better serve the membership across the entire state of Indiana.

Northern State Captain/Event Coordinator: Tim Helbing
Tim has agreed to continue his work as State Captain and focus on event coordination for the northern part of Indiana as Northern State Captain.

Central State Captain/Event Coordinator: Matt Hofmann
Matt has a long history of working at several leadership positions within the Rebel Legion and will continue to work for Mos Espa Base as a Central State Captain. Matt also serves as Event Coordinator for the 501st.

Southern State Captain/Event Coordinator: Charles Gray
Chuck is a long-time member of Rebel Legion and will serve as Southern State Captain. Chuck also serves as Event Coordinator for the 501st.

Public Relations Officers: Jeff Angel and Jason Scheuer
Jeff and Jason have agreed to continue their service to Mos Espa Base as Public Relations Officers. Each has experience with different aspects of media and complement each other’s skills. This provides the base an enriched and rounded Public Relations presence.

Charity Officer: Donella Abell
Donella has agreed to continue in her role as charity officer for Mos Espa Base. Donells also serves as Charity Officer for the 501st.

Webmaster: Jon Kendrick
Jon has agreed to continue in his role as Webmaster for Mos Espa Base, reflecting his 501st role.

Let’s congratulate these members. There is a ton of unseen work which goes into making this Base run efficiently. These members each contribute extra time and effort to make sure we all get to enjoy successful trooping events. I personally thank each and every one of you.

Social Media:
As you may have noticed, since I took office, the Mos Espa Base Facebook page has increased activity. The Facebook page had previously served as an event posting board.

The troop template serves as an information posting to give our membership another reminder and allowing the public to see where the next troop will be held and what charity it will benefit.

Posting pictures from the previous year’s troop creates more interest from the public in anticipation of the event.

Posting pictures of the events soon after they are held enriches the content for members and allows the public to reflect on a successful event
Announcing new members and new costumes on Facebook is a great way for our membership to celebrate their achievements.

I’ve begun to throw in some other Star Wars content in order to drive traffic to the page and increase engagement. The more public traffic we have; the more public interest in the troops which will create increased event submissions by other charities and public event organizers.

I have also started a Mos Espa Base Instagram as a way to reach more people on the social media front and create more interest in Mos Espa Base and our charitable work.

All social media outlets are to be considered extra forms of communication. The primary Base communications and event planning are contained on the forums.

Projects:

Website
I’ve received several comments about the Mos Espa/Boodfin/SWIN website problems. I’ve tapped Cliff Snyder’s knowledge and abilities to assist Jon Kendrick with fixing the website. The primary goals are to develop a new website to give the starwarsindiana and Bloodfin Garrison domains a fresh, modern look that makes a great first impression on the public as they visit our site to request events. This new site will also display properly on mobile devices. Forum functionality will remain unchanged, but there will be patches and updates that fix current bugs.

Meeting venue
I’ve also received several comments from members whom feel we have outgrown the Downtown Scotty’s Brewhouse location and it is not conducive to the meeting process. The common issues appear to be difficulty in being able to hear the presenters and a lack of two way communication. I’ve tasked Cliff Snyder and Jeff Angel with finding a new meeting location. Both have experience booking various sized venues for different musical and theatrical productions. We are trying to balance a space large enough for the membership, which doesn’t require a cash deposit or a purchase minimum (maybe leaning on the charitable attributes of the organization), which can provide food and beverage for the group. Between securing a new venue and using a small PA system we expect the next Mos Espa meeting will add more value.

Improvement to northern Indiana operations
The Base has seen explosive membership growth in northern Indiana and we need to evolve to reflect and support this area. In this effort we have begun to engage more deeply with northern MEB membership and work to better collaborate with our sister garrison, Northern Darkness. In January, we will host a regional meeting to collaborate with the membership and improve processes. Mos Espa leadership is very excited to embarks on these improvements and we will have a stronger base for it in the end.

As always, be good to each other and may the force be with you.
Sincerely,
Mos Espa Base Commanding Officer
Ian Johns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Espa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: