Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=48400412bd83ddec242e37fd540c68eeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Poncho Padme Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Poncho Padme Build Reply with quote

You know how it is. You can never be satisfied with just one thing. Padme has all the amazing costumes and this is one of the last ones I have wanted to make/own/wear from AotC. The embroidery was the thing that always stopped me but a fellow base member has an embroidery machine and has offered to help me put this together so I figured I would go for it and add to the list of skills I am learning.

I read what little information there is on this costume as well as contacted the few members who have made it and have a good start.

I purchased Simplicty 7964 for the underdress. Others have used it and it doesn't need much modification that I can see.

I will be using View F with modifications.

I found a beautiful crinkle fabric in the perfect color on Fabric.com and purchased it right away. It's got just the right crinkle to work and, now that I have it in my possession, I can see that I can get it to crinkle more if needed. It's beautiful and soft and flows well.

I was held up for awhile on the fabric to use for the actual poncho. However, in reading over another build, the seamstress said she used linen. I found a great linen that is the perfect color and wanted to see if this would be approvable?

The standards allow for some flexibility on the fabric as it just needs to be "Poncho-like long tunic of a heavy textured matte fabric in a saturated medium blue or slightly darker."

This is definitely matte and heavy so before I purchase, will this fabric choice work?

I'm going to start the under dress build in the next week or so and then we want to make the poncho.

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably will. I think I'd personally go with a fine wool, but if it looks right. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another member has this beautiful fabric that looks perfect for the poncho. Will this work for the outer portion?

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty good in the photo. How's the weight? Does it drape like in the movie?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reviewing the standard for this as I prepare to dye my fabric and noticed it says "may be embroidered or finely painted". Has anyone actually been approved with this painted instead of embroidered? I'm not opposed to the embroidery but I was curious if that was actually a feasible option. I know that some of the areas on the sleeves are actually painted so it's not that far-fetched but will that be something that can be done (and approved) for the entire garment?

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of anyone being approved with painting. If you wanted to go that route, you would have to make the brush strokes mimic the embroidery. If you wanted to try that, I would recommend doing a test swatch to share here so the judges can give you feedback.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured but also thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the info. Embroidery it is! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: