Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a72733b528705e015790a2e4c995cc8eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Shaak Ti -WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Shaak Ti -WIP Reply with quote

Hello there! Yup I'm doing yet another costume. This one had been an on and off again idea. I'm kinda intimidated by her montrals, but as a good jedi that I am I refuse to be put off by what my own self-doubt.

First order of business.....color! Her skirt color seems to have the power to change. Sometimes it's dark dusty pink.....

Sometimes brownish-pink....

Then there is what the standards propose the color to be...brownish-red/dark- brick.....

If this is the color^^^^^^^ how about this fabric?

Skirt color seems to be a hurtle to cross so I'm going to start there if need be i will dye the fabric myself. I just need some guidance on what color.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be my monitor, but the fabric in last image looks a tad too purplish to me. I also wouldn't use a twill for the skirt; way too heavy for the pleating.

But I love this costume and am always happy to see people doing it. Very Happy Have you checked out the KJO standard update thread? Might have some useful info for you.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
It might just be my monitor, but the fabric in last image looks a tad too purplish to me. I also wouldn't use a twill for the skirt; way too heavy for the pleating.

But I love this costume and am always happy to see people doing it. Very Happy Have you checked out the KJO standard update thread? Might have some useful info for you.

I completely agree about the purple in the fabric. I needed to see them posted next to one another to really see it. My original fabric choice was a poly crepe de chine, which is my new favorite fabric weave. I planned on buying it in white then dying ig myself. Crepe is light enough to be drappy, and the polyester would hold pleats well. Unfortunately, the store I was going to source it from, closed. So I'm back to scratch.

One of the reasons I wanted to go ahead and do this one is because I contributed to the standards revision! As i stsrted to brake down the costume into a written sense, the wheels in my brain started going. That discussion reminded me that her skirt was deceptively more difficult than it appeared to be at fist glance.

I think I'm just going to jump into dying fabric, trying different formulas until it feels right. I will post my results soon.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun with the jump. It's what I did, too, and it wasn't as complicated as I thought, I just needed the right equipment. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some color pulls based on your images

Left: correct color, studio setting.
Right: Taken on home camera with improper flash. blown out colors

The skirts not a different color. the whole costume is a different color. note the cloak is chocolate in the left and Hershey brown on the right?

tabard is mustard on the left and muted yellow tan on the right.

So to explain. if you did the right image youd have to tone the rest of your costume to the right image not the left. The entire thing would need to be toned it or itll look off. Very Happy Hope that helps

LCJ: Senate, Jedi, Rebel Supporter -GML: So Cal Garrison - LMO 501st Legion -

Troop Count (Jan 2017 to Present): 41
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the color pulls. What I have decided to do, fabric wise, is to use the undertones of the fabrics to pull everything together. That way my costume photographs similar to the original. I know that sounds weird, but go with me on it.

The brown robe is a warm brown it had subtle redish-brown undertones
The skirt is red-brown with cool undertones (this is why it photographs dusty pink sometimes)
The undershirt is either the same fabric as the robe or else dyed using the same dye as the robe, so redish-brown undertones

The undertones are what causes the funny camera changes. So I am trying to replicate the same undertones. In truth I feel this will bring me closer to what the original costume designer intended anyway. Shaak Ti"s whole costume is warm toned which contrasts beautifully with her cool toned montrals.

Also, I have decided to use only one photo as a color reference as you suggested and the rest as detail references.

Sorry for my weird post on undertones, but as I'm dying the fabric myself, undertones help me to determine if I'm on the right track within my process if dying. Which happens to be on my mind right now.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

Medals: 3 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who dyes fabric let me sympathise. I still don't think my Rey fabric is right 3 years later -.- *hugs* you got this!

LCJ: Senate, Jedi, Rebel Supporter -GML: So Cal Garrison - LMO 501st Legion -

Troop Count (Jan 2017 to Present): 41
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kylo Ren wrote:
As someone who dyes fabric let me sympathise. I still don't think my Rey fabric is right 3 years later -.- *hugs* you got this!

The most difficult, but fun, part is the experimenting. Because I have never found a company that lists the undertones on the dye. It's not until you actually dye the fabric that you discover the undertone. And certain fabrics react differently to the same dye, making the whole process an art form in of itself.

I'm very happy with how my robe fabric came out and can't wait to photograph it. I was so excited about it that I did 80% of the robe construction last night. But alas today I have too many real life errands to run that Shaak Ti (and leia) have to wait. Stay tuned for a progress update.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robe construction question...This photo shows a slit on the bottom side of her robe, which I did not add to mine last night. I feel this was added for this scene so her robe would lay correctly. Also this is from a deleted scene. Should I add this in? It's not shown in other photos
Songelin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I'm also doing shaak ti right now and I don't think it's a slit we see. I think it's an illusion of the fabric from her arm(left) and her robe actually lays "behind" her on her left side...
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other references show any slits, so I wouldn't make one. Smile Shaak Ti do have long sleeves though.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpreted that as a very carefully arranged skirt and then maybe someone got creative arranging her robes!

I have made both versions of her, and still have my molds Smile
http://www.arrayedindreams.com/costume-portfolio/sci-fi-star-wars/shaak-ti/
This set was flexible foam urethane with a latex coat. It's really quite lifelike but the urethane broke down faster than was ideal. I never did properly finish this and passed the pieces on to another RL member. You can see my petticoat (I found the skirt did need support due to the weight of the robes.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30648
see how her skirt is really full in the publicity photo, but the live action interpreter's skirt collapses around the ankles when she walks? That's why Smile

Also the robes are very sheer! And striped! The stripe is knitted in not a print. I have never found anything close. But I think a thick but loose crepe might work out.
http://imageevent.com/kay_dee/fidm/jedi?p=79&b=-1&m=45&c=5&w=4&s=1&n=1&l=0&z=9

Also I would be careful with publicity photos, you can see how much they vary for her Smile I like to get my fabric to do the same thing with flash as seen in flash photography. I really mistrust use of pantone at exhibits as colours shift differently on chip samples to dye. So I wind up often taking photos of fabric in a store with flash and without Smile And also take it to a darker part of the store and if I can out towards daylight Smile

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/costume-portfolio/sci-fi-star-wars/shaak-ti-the-force-unleashed/
Different lekku molds and plain latex.

I used about 5L of latex (1 1/3 gallon) for one set, but it also took a good few tries to get a good copy. It's easier now but mold supplies and clay was a really expensive investment.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now totally agree on the lack of slit. I guess I just "saw" it because I thought I did my robe wrong.

I also plan to mold my own montrals, as I'm not fully sold on the ones on the market. I also have a small head and I would like to micromanage the scaling to my face. Before I jump into the sculpting, molding, and casting process I plan to make some from fabric and latex, I know they may not be approved, but I need to get a feel for them. Plus a backup for Cons or parades might be nice too.

The sun has finally come back to my part of the world so I can take some robe shots and post them today!!
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaser pics!!!

I will post more photos when I finish the robe.

Flash

No flash, under super warm light to enhance undertones

Closeup of very unfinished collar of robe, notice the undertones "calm down"
Songelin ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Headpeice Reply with quote

Hi! How is it going? IM following your work with much curiosity Smile I’m doing my own Shaak and I’m now on the leather work and headpiece... I have bought a head to make my moulding on. Will then cast and use latex.... so scared Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: