Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2e44973578874282e019cc3e3fe60770Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Navy Blue Linen Dress Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Padme Navy Blue Linen Dress Build Reply with quote

I had forgotten about this costume of Padme's. I have lots of beads left over from my Fireside Padme build and wanted to use them so I figured this would be the next costume I tackle to put those extras lying around to good use.

I had a few questions on this before I purchased any fabric though.

The standards on the dress say the following:
"matte fabric with a dense matte lace in dark navy or black"

Given the title of the costume and verification from the Padawan's Guide, is it safe to say that the dress can be/is made of a navy blue linen with black lace over it?

The lace overlay is definitely not floral and I have found 2 pretty good options. Can I get an opinion on these? Would either (or neither) work for this dress and be approvable?

I also found THIS and it would need to be dyed to a darker blue but it's also a possibility.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Amadalia

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme, Flame Handmaiden Padme, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
rab96 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no judge but to me I'd go with the first fabric choice, as it has the circular pattern that I'm kind of getting from the original. But thats just my opinion, I'd love to see what the judges have to say and I am looking forward to see this build! Good luck!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expanded my search for lace a bit and found both of these!

Both have the right look to my eye but I'm leaning more towards the first option over the other one.

I'm waiting till there is a sale on linen at JoAnn's before I purchase my fabric for the bottom layer of the dress but I have located the perfect color and type. I used the same material for my Talisa Stark costume. The bottom portion of the costume even looks like Padme's. Just need to fix the neckline and add the V at the waist basically.

Any other thoughts on my lace finds? Will any of the ones I posted be approvable?

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme, Flame Handmaiden Padme, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a dark blue lace as black would easily swallow the light and make the beads disappear even with a blue underlayer.
The third option does have some potential, but it depends on how big those holes are.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

The third option does have some potential, but it depends on how big those holes are.

https://i.imgur.com/evGwZyO.jpg

It looks pretty small in this photo and the blue under it should help. Plus it’s navy blue which is a bonus!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found the perfect fabric to go over the linen. The shapes look to be very close to what was used in the film and it also matches very closely with the fabric I will be using under it. The price is right but before I buy, just wanted to check. Will this work and be approved for this costume?

Ritin Kornas ()
Swiss Outpost CO
Swiss Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great indeed ! Smile
rab96 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that one!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that, yes, it would work. Smile I know pictures can cheat, but the pattern and sizing of it does look good. Might be a bit royal blue or it might just be the lighting. But get your navy linen to put underneath and it will probably look right. I suspect the white background makes it lighter than it is.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback all! Fabric has been purchased, both lace and linen, and is on the way.
JoAnn's had a 60% off sale yesterday on beads so I stocked up on some extra ones for the beading between the crystals. Since I won't be really working on the gown till after Halloween, I wanted to at least start beading the belt/necklace from now till then.

Will post photos as progress happens. So excited to put this together and wear it. Mr. Green

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This costume was put on hold for a week as I focused on finishing up my Endor Briefing Room Leia. Luckily, the fabric arrived last night and I love it! My camera is not picking up the color perfectly but its a beautiful navy blue and the lace paired with it looks amazing.

The lace is so beautiful and incredibly soft. I was worried it would be an itchy material but luckily, that is not the case. My friend will be making the dress for me so I am in charge of making the belt and the necklace. I purchased some gorgeous beads/crystals at JoAnn's when they were having their 60% off sale last week and I am starting to string them together today.

My friend, who makes 3D print files for fun, is going to be making me a file to print the bigger gemstones on the belt. Once that is done, I can print and paint and add them to the belt.

Excited to start this new costume and can't wait to wear it.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck. 3D print is also what my base mate did for her larger gems. It was impossible to find the 50 mm one with the right fracturing and the 40 mm ones I did find, but they were very expensive.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally started the beading for the belt. It is looking like it is going to take more beads then I initially thought. I measured around my natural waist and added 5 more inches to accommodate the "pregnancy" but after making the first strand, I saw my error. I needed to also account for the looping of the strands. So, basically, what was meant to be one full strand turned into half of one. Surprised

However, it is looking pretty good overall. Once I got the rhythm down, it went quickly. More progress to come this weekend hopefully.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go any further I can see that your small beads are taking up too much space between the larger facetted beads and it's causing the chains to drop too low. You need the smallest beads you can get in between those larger beads. Smile Otherwise your measurements will end up completely off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: