Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a200944c98ad58d5d963d9945286823cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hera Season 3 WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chantel11 (Chantel)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Hera Season 3 WIP Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
I'm new around here and in the process of upgrading my current Hera costume so it meets legion standards. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer. Smile

There's a long list of things I need to do, but I'm starting with the headphones/goggles. My first attempt at making them did not turn out that great, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share ideas of what materials I could use to re-make them, or had any suggestions of places I could buy them fairly inexpensively. I used a mix of foam and thermoplastic last time, but they turned out lumpy and didn't hold together very well.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sourcing, however, I can tell you this can be 3D modeled and printed pretty easily.
I for the lens you can use soldering/welding goggles lenses, they are great for that.

S3 is flat headset right ? not the half-sphere ones ?
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
I don't know for sourcing, however, I can tell you this can be 3D modeled and printed pretty easily.
I for the lens you can use soldering/welding goggles lenses, they are great for that.

S3 is flat headset right ? not the half-sphere ones ?

Okay cool, thanks. I'll look into sourcing 3D printing. Smile

Yeah, the flat headset.
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so here's where my Hera costume is at currently, minus my headset. As I said before, there are heaps of elements I need to improve.

https://flic.kr/p/X1td9B

I'm in the process of trying to figure out a way to make the shirt collar stand up and be tight on my neck, but still be able to go over my head. I've seen a few people use invisible zippers, but so far I have not been able to source one in the correct colour. Has anyone tried any other methods?
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH look really cool ! Really want to see this one finished Wink

Regarding the 3D model I could do it. Usually I can also print for just the cost of plastic (not the extras you usually found in 3D print companies), but for now I've technical problem with printer so I can only do the model :s. Also... could be better to find someone in Australia to print it for you, would be cheaper to send Wink

Edit : I could do the 3d model for you for free* forgot to precise it Wink
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
AH look really cool ! Really want to see this one finished Wink

Regarding the 3D model I could do it. Usually I can also print for just the cost of plastic (not the extras you usually found in 3D print companies), but for now I've technical problem with printer so I can only do the model :s. Also... could be better to find someone in Australia to print it for you, would be cheaper to send Wink

Edit : I could do the 3d model for you for free* forgot to precise it Wink

Thanks Smile
And yes please, that would be fantastic! I think i've found someone here in Australia to print it, I just need the model. Wink
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I've never posted any real details here, so I thought I may as well start now. Smile

First up, Hera's pants. I made them from a brown vinyl and a cotton twill which looks orange in some lighting but yellow in others. I'm worried that the top section is too big and the waistline seam isn't up high enough, but I'd have to completely re-make the pants to fix this issue, which I'm a bit opposed to since I had a lot of difficulty the first time around. Thoughts?
Front:

Back:

I made a few mockups, trying to make the pants work with only a zipper fly and also again using hooks and bars down the centre back, but neither of these options worked with my body shape without getting a weird amount of bunching up around the waist which Hera doesn't have. I also considered a zipper down the side seam, but this would not work due to the pocket placement. The only way it worked was with a zipper down the centre back. It isn't super noticeable when they are on, but I was forced to move the centre back belt loop over to the side slightly, as you can see here:

The pockets are real, but the fly and knee pads are just appliqued on.
Knee pad close up:

I had trouble with the side belt loops since the leg strapping seams to meet the belt underneath them, so I ended up sewing the strapping into a loop at the top for the belt to go through, then hiding the strapping loop under a fake belt loop. It sits flat and you can't tell it is fake when they are on.

I still need to add the box/buckle things on the leg strapping, but I'm unsure of what to use for them. I'm also unsure if the leg strapping colour is too dark, I'm considering searching for a better colour.

The vest is made from vinyl lined with polycotton. The silver details are snaps and the centre front details are topstitched on. It has hidden velcro down the side seams to make it easy to get on and off. Currently the straps are too long for my shoulders which makes it sit wrong on my body, but I'm planning on fixing that before going for approval.

The shirt is made from a jersey knit. As I mentioned a few posts ago, I've had a lot of trouble with getting the collar to sit right. At this stage, it looks like I will have to completely re-make the shirt out of a different kind of fabric to get it right for approval. The front detailing was done by creating small seams, but it doesn't always show up in photos, so I'm looking for a better method.

Here's a photo from a recent con. Not the best lighting, but you can see my collar and vest problems:

I commissioned someone to 3D print and finish the blaster for me from this 3D model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:992301 and it turned out really well, but I need to make a few paint touch-ups.

I'm currently waiting on a new headset and I'm also considering re-making my lekku out of latex, my current ones are made out of foam and don't move like they are supposed to. I still have heaps of upgrades I need to do, but I'm slowly getting there! Smile
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I figured out the only reason my collar doesn't sit right is because it is too big. I did a bit of experimenting with pinning it in and it sits perfectly if I take in a chunk at the back. I found an invisible zipper in the right colour and I could easily put it into the centre back and fix the problem without it being too noticeable, but I'm worried that won't be approvable. Thoughts?
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and put an invisible zipper in the centre back of my shirt. It solved the problem, now the collar sits perfectly on my neck, as you can see here:

I don't think it is too noticeable, but we'll see what happens once I submit for approval.

I added the buckle things to the leg strapping and made the holster out of craft foam coated in the same vinyl my boot covers are made of.

I also re-made my badge, 3D printed this time. As you can see, it looks a lot better than my old one.

My new headset has been 3D printed and I'm almost finished painting and assembling it, it should be done in the next few days. I've also been experimenting with methods of making latex lekku, I've finally had some success, so they will hopefully be finished within the next week. Smile

I'm at a loss of how to make my vest fit properly, it rides up as soon as I put the pants on. Nothing i've tried so far has worked. I might need to try re-making it out of a different material.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The collar looks great like that !
I hope the headset is fitting in size with no problem ? Smile

Good luck for the other things you have to do !

BTW, what is the problem with the vest ? do you mean it moves up when you put the pants on ?
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
The collar looks great like that !
I hope the headset is fitting in size with no problem ? Smile

Good luck for the other things you have to do !

BTW, what is the problem with the vest ? do you mean it moves up when you put the pants on ?

Yeah, the headset is fitting well, thanks again for modelling it! Smile

And yes, the vest moves up and kind of sticks out away from my body, but I think I've figured out how to fix it
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say maybe you could linen the vest with worbla or something hard to prevent it to move up.... or simply get velcro attached to the grey undercut so it can't move up ? Smile

Good to know for the headset !
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
I would say maybe you could linen the vest with worbla or something hard to prevent it to move up.... or simply get velcro attached to the grey undercut so it can't move up ? Smile

I didn't think of velcro, might give that a go Smile
Chantel11 (Chantel)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished my new lekku and headset. Smile
The headset was 3D printed from Ritin Kornas' model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2593787/#files then I inserted lenses from a pair of cheap sunglasses cut down to size, added a chinstrap made from the same vinyl as my vest and boot covers, and a craft foam nose piece.
Hera's nosepiece has a distinct curve as you can see here:

I experimented with using vinyl for the nose piece, but I couldn't get it to stay in the curve. I heat shaped the foam nose piece so it had the curve, but it flattened out again (causing the paint to crack) when I wore it for the first time. I'm going to try and pull it out and replace it with vinyl since I think it is impossible to keep the curve.
I didn't end up using the hole modelled into the headphone part for the chinstrap. Instead I attached it underneath with a bit of superglue, because it felt more secure on my head. I was worried about it slipping off as that's how I broke my original headset. Razz
But I've had no issues so far, it stayed on very well when I wore it for a 3 hour troop. Smile

My lekku are latex stuffed with pillow stuffing and reinforced at the root part with foam from a thin yoga mat. Without the foam they wouldn't sit properly on the fabric cap they are attached to:

They are relatively flexible, and a better shape than my old ones, but heavy. The weight is an issue because it causes them to not sit as 'perky' as they are supposed to. Someone I know made their pilot cap out of craft foam covered in white vinyl, I'm considering re-making mine the same way to help support my lekku and hopefully resolve the weight issue.

You can see how they droop a bit here:

I also unpicked and lined my boot covers with some polycotton fabric, to eliminate the raw edges and make them more comfortable. It had the added bonus of making them fit better. The holster attaches with velcro to allow me to remove it.

I am in the process of ordering some new body paint, alcohol based this time, as I've had too many issues with water based paint melting off my face in the heat. But I think I'm getting close to being ready to go for approval. Smile

Last edited by Chantel11 (Chantel) on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaaurGundo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the next steps in your progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: