About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c7cc11023f231fcb0919de1a090bbec4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hothgirl's Father passes.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Hothgirl's Father passes. Reply with quote

It is with a heavy heart that I pass this information along to Echo Base and the Legion as a whole.

Ronald Thomas, Father to Katie Thomas (Hothgirl) Has given his life in an act of true heroism. I am attaching a copy of the article, explaining What Mr Thomas did.

This is a Tragedy beyond words considering Katie is just months away from her wedding.

Katie is one of my closest friends here in the the hobby and I can not put into words the extent to which I grieve with her.

Along with members of the 501st and SciFiheros.com (all groups Katie belongs to) a memorial Fund is being established to help their family get through the reality they now face.

Donations via PayPal.com can be made to the RonThomasFund@aol.com
If you are not able to make donations through PayPal, Contact me and I will arrange to get all other donations to the family.

I also ask that we all give Katie the time she needs. I'm positive that she would love to hear from all of us and know we want to help. But right now, a flood of those well wishes may very well become overwhelming. Give Her family time to grieve and I promise that anything I hear concerning this will be passed along.

Ronald Thomas is the highest form of hero I have every known. He regularly put his life on the line to save others and when it happened right in front of him, he gave his life to save another's.

Please take a moment to read the attached article. And join me in sending Katie our love.

From the Associated Press
4/30/2007, 1:34 p.m. EDT
http://www.silive.com/newsflash/metro/inde...orylist=simetro

Volunteer firefighter dies in river rescue

WELLSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — A volunteer firefighter died while trying to rescue a man caught up in a whirlpool near a small waterfall on the Genesee River.

Ronald Thomas, 56, was fishing along with hundreds of others during the Great Wellsville Trout Derby on Sunday afternoon when Kevin Allen, 46, lost his balance near the shore, tumbled over a small waterfall and got his fishing vest caught while battling to swim out of the vortex.

Allen's 16-year-old son, Dan, jumped in after him, followed by Thomas, his 23-year-old son, Ryan, and another young man, police said.

Allen managed to remove his fishing vest and swim away from the whirlpool, enabling other fishermen to pull him to shore. His son also swam over to a rock and was rescued. But the others took longer to escape from the swirling currents, and Thomas was pulled under when his waders filled up with water, police said.

"We could've had five people killed," state police Investigator Jack Migliore said in Monday's Wellsville Daily Reporter. "He tried to do what he could do. Unfortunately, there was a chain reaction and while everyone did their damnedest to save him, there was nothing they could do.

"Eventually, the whirlpool spit Ron out, who was the third in, and he floated down the river."

Colleagues pulled him out but could not resuscitate him.

Witnesses said they believed Thomas may have hit his head on a rock and was under the water for as long as eight minutes.

An autopsy will determine if Thomas drowned or possibly suffered a heart attack, Migliore said. The other four people were treated for hypothermia at a hospital in this southwestern New York town and later discharged.

********End Article*******

Edit I've just recieved more links to add here.

MORE LINKS Also video links on the pages
Wellsville Fire Department Site: http://wlsvfire.com/Memorial.html

Channel 4 - Buffalo: http://www.wivb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6446369&nav=menu41_2

Channel 2 - Buffalo: http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=47619

http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=26948&bw=

Last edited by Reaper on Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 am; edited 2 times in total
MerlynNY ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar messages have gone up on the 501st forums, as well as the ScifiHero.net forums. FanForce will be next.

Lets all help the Thomas family in whatever way we can in their time of need!
JediMom3 (Andrea Samulewicz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for passing this along Ed.

I was so upset when I got the call about Katie's Father. He truely was a hero. May God Bless her and her family. My prayers and condolences go out to the Thomas Family.

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send my best wishes to the Thomas family. I know they are proud of what a real hero Katie's father was. Best wishes for them during this difficult time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked and sadden to learn this news this morning. I join all of Echo Base in condolences to Katie and her family.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most sincere condolences go out to Katie and the entire Thomas family.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ShadowScout ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our condolences and prayers from the Terrapin Base.
Rogan Creel

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always hurts to lose a brother to the job. Of couse, our hearts and prayers are with the family, friends, and the men & women he served with.
Reaper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new links added to the bottom of my post.
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On behalf of Central Base, our most sincere condolences to the Thomas family. We will keep them in our thoughts.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Phantom6 (Justin Craig Manning)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On behalf of Alderaan Base members.. I wish to Katie and the entire Thomas family our deepest heeart felt Condonances in the sad news..

Crying or Very sad

here for you.. just let us know how.. HUGS...

Justin C Manning -
CO of Alderaan Oct. 2007-Sept. 2009
Current member of Rebel Legion PR Team and Alderaan Base's BRO

ID-6872 New England Garrison 501st
Jedi Master Justyn Ma'Ning of Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn- Charity fundraiser "walk on role".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt just informed us MWBers of the news, "I'm so sorry for your lose" just doesn't seem to be enough. Confused

Katie - Many of us remember you from COSI, and we'll be keeping you and your family in their thoughts.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
darthig88 (Ed Bartlebaugh)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences and Prayers go out to Kaite her family and friends.

Kaite if you may need us we are here, Peace be with you and your family.
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so deeply sorry for Katie's and her family's loss. She and her family have my deepest condolences.

Last edited by cyranodb (Mike) on Tue May 01, 2007 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences and prayers go out to Katie and her family. Much love and hugs to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: