Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=38038179eaa365ed057c5b4309622494Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-wing Pilot Version 4 (Finished!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my B-wing pilot outfit finished! Took me ages (ten years to get it this level) so it feels pretty darn good. I'm pleased with how it turned out, too. I would have liked the coveralls to have been a little darker in color but this was as much dye as the material would take and it still looks pretty good, anyway. Definitely a lot better than my previous pair of coveralls. These coveralls also have all of the accurate details including a collar tab, zipper cover strip, shoulder panels, angled chest pockets, longer upper leg pockets with closure flaps, lower leg pockets/panels with no flaps, and the accurate pen pocket on the left arm. This is also the first time that I have done any weathering on soft items.

I also bought myself a green screen and a stand so that made life a bit easier when taking pictures.

Here's the completed costume...

Here are some cleaner pictures of the chestbox. I also repainted one of the diode greeblies (on the rack in the D-shaped indentation) to better match the color of a vintage diode I saw, though it's hard to see it in the pictures, it's pretty small. All of the diodes on the chestox are painted and striped like real diodes, though again they're hard to see, and probably no one but me will ever notice them. But it does add to the realism, I think. Razz

I can't remember if I posted it before, but I put a little "in memory of" memorial for one of my beloved cats, Caper, who passed away last year on the back of my chestbox. There's a bit of writing on it (the year of her birth, the date I adopted her and the date she passed) along with her paw print, and it's positioned so that even when I'm in costume she's still by my heart. I dedicated this costume to her.

And here's my helmet with a custom paint scheme...

I redid my cap just a little bit. The ear dome things didn't end up as smooth as I wanted (which was my primary reason for redoing them) but I do like the look of the material better...

Belt box...

Coveralls/flight suit with gaiters (the gaiters of the accurate rectangular stitch in the front center of the strap)...

Flak vest has the accurate greeblies (the greeblies that match this particular style of chestbox). On the inside of the front and back of the vest I put a loop of elastic to slip the chestbox hose through to keep it in place. I usually keep the hose tucked in the front but there is a B-wing pilot in Return of the Jedi who has it tucked into the back so I put a loop there, too, in case I wanted the hose out of the way a bit more. The vest also has the correct straight-edges side-release buckles, which I've been having a much harder time finding versus the seemingly much more common rounded-edge buckles. Never used to have a problem finding them before, now it's tough for some reason...

Ejection harness with accurate flat metal slides...

Belt...

Hose...

My blasters again, just because I like to show them off...
Laughing

You might have noticed that I have face tattoos now. I did that just for fun (they're temporary tattoos, of course), I thought that it added a little something interesting to the costume, and to make my character a little more unique. I have a whole bag of the temporary tattoos now, heh.

Boots...

And some "for fun" pictures...!

And in case anyone was wondering, this style of the chestbox was in Return of the Jedi. It was worn by Keyan Farlander...

Chestbox and vest greeblie reference...

Chestbox reference...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Alex, I ;like the fact that you were able to find clear shots of the chest box on the pre-production shots of 10 Numb.

I'm not sure there are any other shots of that box other than the shot here:

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, that's the best movie image there is of this particular style of chestbox. It's too bad, this is my favorite B-wing chestbox style, it needs to have more screen time! Bwing

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you nailed it dead on... Nice work!

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

It was certainly a lot of work, and it took way longer than I ever thought it would (ten years!), but I'm glad to finally have it done. Though I do plan to make a few other chestboxes and helmets of other styles, they do make for some nice displays!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Alex ! Here first pix of the helmet from you.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking very good. Nice job on it. Smile

I'm currently working on the greeblies for that one. I've got the model for the latch-like piece made (that the white cord goes into) and I'm working on the other models now. I'm also remaking the microphone tip.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Let me now if you had the greeblie ready.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. I'm going to try to get them finished and printed in the next week or two.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone currently making chest box kits? I'm mainly interested in a set of the greeblies- I got the chest box form covered.

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rando Mextra wrote:
Is there anyone currently making chest box kits? I'm mainly interested in a set of the greeblies- I got the chest box form covered.
I make the chestbox kits and the greeblies for six different styles.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: