Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e8ee3f638a3cb00c0328cd00a460ff0bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP: Clone Wars Padme; Malevolence Outfit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: WIP: Clone Wars Padme; Malevolence Outfit Reply with quote

Okay so I'm super excited to start this costume, and since only one other person has been approved with it this will be interesting! Here's a picture of it:

I'm going to first start on the pants and shirt, and just picked up my fabric today! I also found what I'm going to use for the vest. The shirt/pant fabric is a 60/40 cotton poly knit, and the vest is a two-way stretch spandex. Our Joann's didn't have any velvet but I loved the look of these two fabrics together! They are a little darker than this picture shows, fluorescent lighting is not always kind!

Also after a lot of studying the episode and pictures, I've realized that the shirt/pants are the same as the outfit she wears in Bombad Jedi, which shows the pipping on the front of her shirt in more detail. I believe we're going to add that into this shirt as well. Here's the best reference I could get of the two side-by-side:

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do the boots, whether to buy knee high ones and attach the pieces with glue or something, or buy ankle boots and make spats to sew the boxes and flaps on. Finding boots this time of year will be hard so I feel like it'll come down to what I can easily find in my size.

Can't wait to get started on this! Very Happy
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure these boots are referencing Padme's movie boots for her pilot decoy costume.

Forgive my bad photo, but I saw these at the exhibit a year ago, and it really looked like a regular pair of boots that they slapped a few more pieces of leather onto.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh awesome! I didn't think to look at those, I knew some pieces were supposed to be the same parts. What would you suggest to use for those parts on the boot? Some kind of vinyl maybe?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to wish you the best of luck with it. Smile I look forward to seeing your progress.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It honestly looked like scraps of more-or-less matching leather. The boots were a lot more suede looking while the added bits were a bit shinier.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that makes sense for the boots! Now I just need to find a pair in my size thats looks correct haha

I started the pants and shirt last night. I sewed it all up to get the right fit on the thighs and arms, so that we can pattern and size the pads to add. I'm loving the look of it already! Once the bicep and thigh pieces are added I'm going to tighten the torso, since it's still a bit baggy on me, finish the front seams/pintucks, and add the collar to the shirt and waistband to the pants. (don't mind the costume mess behind me lol)

I drafted my own pattern for the pants, and used a long sleeve shirt I already owned for patterning the shirt. I used the following tutorials to help me with both pieces.

Shirt: http://mesewcrazy.com/2015/12/mock-turtleneck-swing-dress.html

Pants: http://so-sew-easy.com/leggings-pattern-tutorial/

Here is my pattern for the pants, which I was concerned about with how weird the top was, but my mock pair turned out great and I'll probably end up wearing those often!

I'm going to paint the pouch for the belt tonight, and hopefully make the belt. Hoping to also get the piece on her vest made, and soon the vest! I'm having issues finding a good pattern to use, any tips on that? Her collar and the way it lays is what's making it a bit difficult. So far luckily that's the hardest part!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay!! So I finished most of this costume, and was granted temp approval for an event this past weekend. It went AMAZINGLY and I'm in love with this costume!! It's nothing like wearing Leia, but so much fun and different in a great way. Here are some of the only pictures I have of it so far:

My boyfriend did an amazing job sewing the vest, since I wasn't confident enough just yet to tackle it. We used suede for now, but I definitely want to search for the perfect velvet and upgrade one day. Also the gold arms were a 55 cent find at Walmart!

The only things I need before I submit are more accurate gauntlets, since for this event they didn't have any of the detailing on them. I've got a couple ideas for how to do them, but I know I'm going to use the vinyl for them for sure, especially since in AotC her pilot disguise had the same ones that were painted to look like leather.

Also I need to attach the details on the boots. I have the vinyl pieces cut out, just need to figure out the best way to put them on and have them stick. My pouch on the belt looked great, but I couldn't keep it attached to the vinyl belt so I went without it for the event. That's also why I'm being careful about how to attach the boots.

I'm going to remake the badge as well, since what I have is way too big for my liking. I want to also have a magnet backing so it stays close to the vest and doesn't move as easily as it does with the regular pin backing.

All in all this was so much fun and I cannot wait to get it approved! It's so comfy and I honestly felt so badass wearing it! Any tips or critiques so far?
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote that springs to mind from seeing your last two posts is: Well, that escalated quickly. Razz Suddenly: a costume.

First impression is good and it looks well fitted to you.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
The quote that springs to mind from seeing your last two posts is: Well, that escalated quickly. Razz Suddenly: a costume.

First impression is good and it looks well fitted to you.

Haha. Yea in the rush to finish I didn't have much time to post here, but once I can I'm going to take closer pictures of everything and better explain things! Smile

Also thank you! I'm so used to seeing something big and flowy on me (my Jawa and Leia) so this will take some getting used to! XD
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks awesome ! Smile
And doesn't feel like the badge is that too big.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job! I have not seen the animated series so wasn't even aware this costume existed. You brought it to life wonderfully.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Ewok Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I've got just a few things now till I can send in for approval. I think I'm going to stick with the badge for now, and see if a different attachment helps with the look!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so life of course gets in the way of actually finishing things, currently switching jobs (what fun!) but I'm going to attempt to finish this costume completely very soon!!

At the moment I am figuring out the gauntlets and how to best show off the details accurately. I have decided to use the vinyl I used for my temp, and use contact cement to attach the details running around the gauntlet. I have become fairly decent with using EVA and craft foam for costumes, below I'll show what on this costume is foam, and will be using a both for the details. Not sure if it'll work, but hey it's worth a shot and wont leave as many seams! I am also working on attaching the small pieces to the boot, and my boyfriend is making the blaster holder for me!

Here are some close ups of the smaller pieces I have finished:

Belt pouch and buckle, both made from foam and sprayed with Plasti Dip. The buckle painting was a happy accident, when I just used a sponge and dabbed sliver paint onto it.

Belt, made from brown vinyl with velcro glued and sewn onto to keep in place. I also painted the backside of the vinyl, so there wouldn't be any white showing.

Closeup of the front seam on my pants. I just folded the pant leg and pinned where I wanted the seam to be, then sewed that so a small piece of fabric was sticking out from my leg. Then sewed that down to create a similar look to the cartoon.

Another closeup, this time of the padding on my thigh. It's hard to see but the padding gets slightly smaller as it goes down, whereas the arm is the same size from top to bottom. I pinned two pieces of the fabric (same as the pants) right sides together, with a slightly smaller piece of I believe 1/8in batting also pinned onto one of the sides of fabric. Sewed that together, leaving about an inch gab and then turned it right side out. My boyfriend then just simple sewed the lines of stitching and I sewed them onto the pants!
Also the arms were the same exact process! Smile

Hope this helps anyone who may need it, so close to being done I cannot wait!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like such a fun costume and easy to move in. You're really doing an amazing job on it!

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Ewok Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
This looks like such a fun costume and easy to move in. You're really doing an amazing job on it!

Thank you so much! It's honestly a blast to make and feels like wearing pajamas it's so comfy!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: