Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cdd473b82ab6592637653eab23ac9d91Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

General Rahm Kota Lightsaber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: General Rahm Kota Lightsaber Reply with quote

Some may know that I am building a Rahm Kota armor costume from The Force Unleashed II. I had originally planned to use the lightsaber from my TFU costume with the new armor, but since it was designed off of the action figure and not the game renders, the accuracy was lacking.

Other than the in-game cut-scenes, the only official visual reference in existence was the low-resolution shot seen here:

Based on this, and having viewed all of the game cut-scenes in HD ad nauseam, I drew up some 2D orthos and commissioned Don Close of Do-Clo Props to build the frame and electronics:

The most interesting (at least to me) and challenging features of the design is that all of the in-game references suggest the diamond pattern of the hilt wrap is only on one side of the hilt, with the opposite side being solid black wrap. The topology of this enigma eluded me for a very long time, but after much experimentation I discovered a way to visually simulate the pattern.

And so I present, from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Jedi General Rahm Kota's lightsaber:

This lightsaber features a green Tri-Rebel LED with a driver for fade-in/fade-out and flicker, and no sound with a 7.4v power pack. I believe it to be the first replica in existence with the screen-accurate single-side diamond wrap pattern, as well as an extremely close scale match to the reference shown above. It will be worn with the TFU II Rahm Kota armor when the costume is completed.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking prop, but you wear that kit so well...I think your probably more suited to it then the actor
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat looking saber!

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this version was completed, I wasn't happy with the size/shape of the diamond pattern compared to the CG reference. I asked Don Close (Do-Clo Custom Sabers) to machine a slightly longer mid-section without the flat milled side. After making the diamonds wider I think it looks more like the reference. In any case, I'm calling it finished.

~ vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome looking Lightsaber. The accuracy to the game is dead on.
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done nice saber. Force Relics and Darth Alice makes some nice versions of the Kota. Definitely wort checking them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: