Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b2f79dbe8c8e1bf3b68ef4b249dfc593Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Resistance Trooper costume standards proposal (v. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> The Force Awakens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten thousand percent agree!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my "final" proposal for this Standard.

Please review for accuracy.

============================================

Proposal V.2.2 (final)

Proposed Standard – Resistance Trooper (enlisted and NCO)

Required Items:

1. Jacket - Light Olive, Dark Green, Brown, Ochre or tan military jacket with no visible buttons or zippers shown. Most jackets seen on screen have stand up collars. Russian Afghanistan campaign jackets (tan) are seen on some troopers, while Czech. and German field jackets appear on other troopers in shades of greens and browns. Some jackets have a red to red-orange or black Rebel Alliance “Starbird” logo spray-painted or stenciled on them. Starbird logo must match screen used location and size if applied.

2. Long-sleeve mockturtleneck shirt – cream, light tan or ivory in color.

3. Pants – Dark green or brown in color. Military trousers with no leg-side pockets preferred.
BDUs are not acceptable.

4. Belt – brown leather belt with metal rectangle buckle. Belt should be 1.75” to 2” wide and Range Tan or Canyon Tan in color.

5. Boots/shoes – Option 1: Black or brown, flat, wedge-soled boots with two dual-strap Velcro closures. Fugu Japanese Super Boots as seen on some on screen troopers and in the Visual Dictionary.
Option 2: Po-Zu Well-2 brown or black boots or similar to match screen references.
Option 3: Black low-cut boots or black shoes with rounded toe with dark brown or dark green colored gaiters to match screen references.

FORMAL REQUIREMENTS (Pick at least two. )

1. Screen-accurate flip-front combat helmet

2. Canvas patrol cap or other similar cap. A Russian Afghanistan campaign cap with back flap is seen on a few troopers; “desert” style caps and standard patrol caps are acceptable as long as they match screen references.

3. Leather belt boxes to match screen references.

4. Blaster – BlasTech EL-16 or EL-16HFE blaster rifle or refurbished DH-17 blaster where allowed by law

Additional Optional Items

5. Sidearm and holster - Glie-44 Erliss Ryloth Defense Tech Pistol - accurately modeled and appropriately painted. Holster should be Black/Charcoal/Dark Grey or brown molded holster of a hard/stiff material and secured with rivets/Chicago screws and affixed to the belt via a loop of grey webbing/strapping.

6. Backpack – Canvas olive drab or tan pack with two strap closures . The pack must match Match screen references concerning greeblies, adornments and number of pouches and straps.

7. Ammunitions bandolier – Brown or green to match screen references.

8. Gloves – black or brown leather short gloves matching those seen on screen.

9. Goggles – White or black frame with white or grey strap consistent with shapes and colors as seen on screen

Last edited by G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell) on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
OPTIONAL ITEMS (one is required for formal, pick at least two. )

The wording on this is confusing. One is required for formal, but you have to pick two?

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis explained it best here:
Schph Gochi wrote:
My two credits is that with 9 optional items on the list...there really should be a requirement of at least 4 and not only 2.

For example...generic Jedi have 4 optional items and an applicant must have 3 of the 4.

Desert Troopers have 8 additional items and applicants are required to choose 5.

When I look at the Hoth Trooper costumes....where there are a lot of additional items to choose from and the requirement for optional is very few, most of the Troopers I have judged in the past really add all of them.

Schph Gochi wrote:
Toda wrote:
I don't think all 9 should be on the optional list, since some of them are only seen once or twice (e.g. backpack and sidearm). We could probably remove those. The reason for so many options is that there are very simple troopers that only have a belt and jacket (no hat even) to heavily armed troopers that have virtually all of the optional items. Another big issue is that to my knowledge, no one is making a screen accurate EL-16 blaster. Maybe there is over on the RPF, but I don't think so.

Should this maybe be two standards: one for "assault troopers" with screen accurate helmet and blasters and one for "ground crew" with the more simple jacket, belt, soft cap/no cap? Many of these Resistance actors don't even carry weapons so they maybe more of support or ground crew. 4

You can also add or change items to simply "optional" and not "optional for formal". Some of the Trooper costumes have both designations. Optional for formal being that you MUST have a certain number...
and just plain "optional" indicates other items that can be made and added to the applicants discretion.

If the major pieces of the costume (jacket, pants, boots etc) are the same then playing with optional and optional for formal simplifies things since I really don't foresee a lot of people making these costumes since TFA is nearly 2 years ago and not many people have made any of the Rebel costumes from TFA other than Pilots.

How can i rephrase it to make it clear?
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think calling the items "optional" is confusing in the first place because it implies that there is an option to wear them. You would need to have at least two of the items for formal and that is not optional. The second list is completely optional.

I think it should read something like this (this is similar wording to the RFT standard):

FORMAL REQUIREMENTS (Pick at least two.)

1. Screen-accurate flip-front combat helmet

2. Canvas patrol cap or other similar cap. A Russian Afghanistan campaign cap with back flap is seen on a few troopers; “desert” style caps and standard patrol caps are acceptable as long as they match screen references.

3. Leather belt boxes to match screen references.

4. Blaster – BlasTech EL-16 or EL-16HFE blaster rifle or refurbished DH-17 blaster where allowed by law.

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed it
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd asked me to put the discussion to vote phase.

Can one of the mods lock this topic?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> The Force Awakens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: