Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ce254961c714f492e949d666c292d021Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New standard] Duchess Satine Kryze - Rose outfit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: [New standard] Duchess Satine Kryze - Rose outfit Reply with quote

We have another Satine up for discussion after getting a standard suggestion from one who made this costume. Smile

Please discuss how to best describe the costume in the standard and what is missing right now.
The discussion will stay open for about two weeks or until the debate has run its course.

Satine Kryze - Rose Outfit (The Clone Wars)

Required:

1. Dusty rose jacket made by semi-stiff wowen, textured fabric, lined with a brocade or jacquard dark green fabric. The whole jacket is bordered with a darker rose/burgundy trim. The collar is worn turned up and the neckline goes down to the buckle. The jacket is knee-long on the side and shorter in the back.
The jacket is open on the front side, showing a light green bodice made by two petals starting from the buckle and ending in the middle of the neckline. Under the waistline you can see a pointed end of the same fabric as the sleeves going down on the stomach and ending in a point.
The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. There is an orange/bronze string that follows the shape of the belt and ends under the central buckle. The buckle is set with green stones. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.
The sleeves are made of light and gauzy grey-soft pink fabric. They are puffed up on the upper arm and close-fitting down to the wrists. There can be small pleats at the elbow.
The cuffs are stiff and made with the same fabric as the jacket and decorated with the same cord of the belt, ending with two green oval cuff links.

2. Gloves are fitted and made by dark grey fabric or suede.

3. Boots made by dark grey fabric or suede with big and beige heel. Above the knee there is a reverse of the same color as the fabric of the sleeves.

4. The hair are light blond, styled back with curls on the nape and without visible clips. The forehead is framed by two locks of hair. Wigs should be of a good quality and seem like true hair.

5. Earrings are a central drop in acid green with five dark red petals/points.

Optional:

1. Blue eyes or colored contact lenses are preferred.

2. Light make up in shades of pink.

By Utapau-Costumes Lab and Marzia Trapolino

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader

Last edited by Lora Skywalker () on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marziatrap ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for posting our references for the Satine's Rose Outfit. Please, feel free to get more suggestions to make this costume perfect!

Marzia and Utapau Costumes Lab

Member of RLGS
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: [New standard] Duchess Satine Kryze - Rose outfit Reply with quote

Hey ! More than discussing the standard itself (I will too) I would like to discuss the way it is written, in order to ease comprehension for non native english speakers are most of the time some words are obscure for us.
First thing first, just to be 100% could you put a picture so we agree about which costume we are talking ?
This one right ?

Bigger pics
https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fr.starwars/images/b/b0/Satine_Kryze.png/revision/latest?cb=20150609092106
https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/theclonewiki/images/3/36/Duchesssatine_detail.png/revision/latest?cb=20111219203704

In red is the propose things, and in normal color my comments Wink
In blue eventual proposing of modification.

Required:

1. Dusty rose jacket made by semi-stiff wowen, textured fabric, lined with a brocade or jacquard dark green fabric.

Should not be made of more than made by ? Or it is because it needs to be made a specific way ?
Why semi-stiff ? How can you appreciate that from a pic ?
What is wowen ? could not figure this word. I guess it's woven ? Then what is exactly woven for you ? Because once translated... it does not mean anything specific. It is just for me a fabric which is not non-woven. So could be velvet could be linen, wool... most of the fabric. Could be made ov PVC canvas too :p
It seems from a google search woven is something really rough, I'm not sure it's could kind of tissu, I would see more a fine detailed linen with floral pattern, or maybe a embossed velvet similar to padmé red followers ? (and would then avec also a velvet lining)
Regarding the lined part, Taking the first picture I linked, it is for me clearly not a jacquard pattern. But in addition to brocade I would say it could maybe be a cashmere or Paisley pattern too ?

The whole jacket is bordered with a darker rose/burgundy trim. The collar is worn turned up and the neckline goes down to the buckle. The jacket is knee-long on the side and shorter in the back.
According to this picture I would add it as a reverse V shape in the back maybe ?
Also, maybe a precision for the trim : It is larger at the neck and go small towards the chest. After it is all the way same width than collar for the bottom of the jacket.

The jacket is open on the front side, showing a light green bodice made by two petals starting from the buckle and ending in the middle of the neckline. Under the waistline you can see a pointed end of the same fabric as the sleeves going down on the stomach and ending in a point.
Should it not be listed as another item as it's not part of the jacket itself ?

The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. There is an orange/bronze string that follows the shape of the belt and ends under the central buckle. The buckle is set with green stones. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.
The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. There is an orange/bronze string that follows the lower shape of the belt and ends under the central buckle. The buckle is set with green stones : a central round one in the top half, and smaller elongated ones of three different size under it, mimicking rays coming from the biggest one.. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.
Should be as separated item as it's belt and not jacket ?

The sleeves are made of light and gauzy grey-soft pink fabric. They are puffed up on the upper arm and close-fitting down to the wrists. There can be small pleats at the elbow.
Precise until mid of the upper arm ?

The cuffs are stiff and made with the same fabric as the jacket and decorated with the same cord of the belt, ending with two green oval cuff links.

It is called "string" for the belt, so maybe keep same word and write "the same bronze/orange string than the belt" ?
Ending on each side with a green oval stones ?

I see them more dark dusty purple/ dusty eggplant color, just like the trouser (which has not been set here). Would say them fabric than the trouser and so more a suede/velvet.

3. A fitted high-waist trouser made of a dark dusty purple/dusty eggplant color suede or velvet. No seam line should be visible on the front of the trouser.

3. Boots made by dark grey fabric or suede with big and beige heel. Above the knee there is a reverse of the same color as the fabric of the sleeves.

Maybe add something about the cut in front in the reverse ?

4. The hair are light blond, styled back with curls on the nape and without visible clips. The forehead is framed by two locks of hair. Wigs should be of a good quality and seem like true hair.

Should not be longer than the neck.

Earrings are a central diamond stone of the same green that the cuff links and the belt buckle. There are 5 dark red petals all pointing down. The length of each petal is shorter form the central one to the side ones.
Marziatrap ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ritin Kornas, I'd like to thank you for your suggestions. I'll come back asap with detailed answers and pictures.

Member of RLGS
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so excited about this standard, as I have been planning this one for a while! Since I have enjoyed pondering this one I thought I would add my two credits. I have created a whole fIle on my computer of fabric swatches and Satine pictures and have been studying the rose outfit for awhile. I will post my reference pictures in a seperate post. My discription of costume in green. On with my two cents........

oops....I needed to edit a few things in my post! Edits are in red

Required:

1. Dusty rose jacket made by semi-stiff wowen, textured fabric, lined with a brocade or jacquard dark green fabric. The whole jacket is bordered with a darker rose/burgundy trim. The collar is worn turned up and the neckline goes down to the buckle. The jacket is knee-long on the side and shorter in the back.

Jacket
Dusty rose, heavyweight jacquard or brocade fabric, lined in dark green jacquard or brocade, and trimmed in solid dark rose. Jacket has an upturned collar also in dark rose measuring two inches at the nape of the neck and tapering down, ending just under the bust. Top part of jacket is gathered under the bust.

Bottom skirt part of jacket is one piece and has no side seems. It is fitted down to natural waist then flairs out in a modified a-line, ending mid-thigh and rising in a gentle curve, approximately 5-6 inches higher at mid back. Skirt of jacket hem has a curve at the bottom front sides.

Lightweight dusty purple fabric is used for the puffed sleeves that gather midway to the elbow. Attached lower sleeve is fitted to costumers arm ending in a dusty rose curved cuff, with two opaque green oval cufflinks, one front and one in back, connected by a matte gold or rose gold heavy gauge wire. Pleats at the elbow allow for costumers arm movement.

I agree with Rintin that the belt, as well as the undershirt are separate articles from the jacket

Undershirt
Under the jacket is a bright green, sweetheart neckline, created from two separate pieces sewn at the center. Dusty purple fabric is used for the triangle shaped piece that connects at the bust line, under the jacket, and ending bellow the belly button.

***for logistics I had planned to make this a seperate garment. Basically it would be a fancy tanktop, which would make room for my ample bosom, that would feel constricted if it was attached to the jacket.

Belt
A belt of matte gold or rose gold with a centered circle with one green stone and six teardrop stones, three on either side. The curves around the waistline of the jacket as seen in photos

***side note I kinda feel the belt is a metal or plastic, perhaps some in-cannon Mandalorian metal. I had long ago thought of using a combination of metal and polymer clay, but got stuck on what this was made out of, in-cannonwise.

no issues

Dark gray suede or non shiny leather boots are above knee-high and lined in dusty purple, and has a 2 1/2 inch turnout, with a V cutout at the center. A dimpled protrusion is at calf height. The heels are about 1 inch

no issues!

no issues!

6. Pants velvet or suede in a dark gray-purple color that is a different fabric than the boots

Optional:

3. Rose gold circlet Decorated with green opaque stones as seen in season 3 episode 5 "Corruption"

Last edited by Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers () on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few reference Pictures I used for my discription.

Collar width the reference

Circlet Reference

I'm not sure if it's my computer but the picture Ritin posted was a bit blurry here is a high resolution version. It's also the one I used most for referencing.
Kuma Dashana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, about the whole 'made by' thing.

I believe I'm not threading on Marzia's toes if I say that the standard wasn't written by a native speaker ( she's Italian, like I am) so some questions I see here may originate from slight translation problems.

I believe (and Marzia can correct me if I'm wrong), that she actually meant 'made of' rather than 'by', as the clause always refers to the material or shape.

It goes without saying that I'm available if I can help with language issues.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good comments on this. Smile Yes, it can be harder to write a standard when your first language is not the one you have to write in. This is also why I asked for discussion on wording.

All references are welcome as they help illustrate what we are talking about.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Marziatrap ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dusty rose jacket should be made with a fabric that has small, shadow and irregular designs. Is recommended to use fabric that have two shades of different pink, light pink and darker pink.  It's a good choice to use “chenille”: with this fabric the colors alternate in small, shadow drawings similar to those of the cartoon. We do not recommend using brocade fabrics with large designs or flowers because the original texture of the jacket has very small and uncluttered designs (never equal to each other). For dark green interior linings, those that come out in the collar and lining the inside of the jacket, is recommended a brocade cloth (“jacquard” or “painsley” texture) with a well-defined fantasy with light green designs on a dark green background.

The jacket should have darker borders dark rose/burgundy and green lining. The front jacket should be open and long up to the knees. On the back, the jacket forms a downward V with an opening that rises up to half the thigh, slightly above the knees. The jacket’s collar, lined with green fabbric, is taller and more visible around and behind the neck and shrugs to the belt. It must form a collar that from the neck goes down to the belt in a regular V, decreasing to the extent until it disappears behind the belt/buckle.

The green “bodice” is attached to the jacket. Two green “petals” of “bodice” are sewn into the jacket and close to it on one side. If you prefer, you can create a piece apart from the jacket but the end result may be a wrong dress.

The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. There is an orange/bronze string that follows the shape of the belt and ends under the central buckle. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle. The buckle is set with green stones : a central round one in the top half, and smaller elongated ones of three different size under it, mimicking rays coming from the biggest one. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.

The belt made of the bronze/orange cord is sewn into the waist of the jacket while the buckle is an element that attaches to the jacket with a clip or a magnet. This solution was adopted not to put the buckle weight on the lanyard.

The sleeves are made of light and gauzy grey-soft pink fabric (may be pink chiffon over grey cotton). They are puffed up on the upper arm and close-fitting down to the wrists (until mid of the upper arm). There can be small pleats at the elbow. The cuffs are stiff and made with the same fabric as the jacket and decorated with the same string of the belt, ending with two green oval stones.

Gloves and trousers should be dark gray (dusty grey), preferably suede fabric.

Boots made by dark grey fabric or suede with big and beige heel. Above the knee there is a reverse of the same color as the fabric of the sleeves. Boot reverse should have a V-Reverse open cover with rounded edges.

The hair are light blond, styled back with curls on the nape and without visible clips. The forehead is framed by two locks of hair. Wigs should be of a good quality and seem like true hair.

Earrings are a central drop in acid green with five dark red petals/points. Earrings are a central diamond stone of the same green that the cuff links and the belt buckle. There are 5 dark red petals all pointing down. The length of each petal is shorter form the central one to the side ones.

Pink make-up and blue eyes (or ice blue contact lenses if possible)

Member of RLGS
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I tried to combine everyone's comments into one set of standards. How does this look now?

Quote:

Required:

1. Jacket
a. Dusty rose jacket made of medium to heavyweight chenille, jacquard or brocade fabric with a fine pattern or texture. Top part of jacket is gathered under the bust. The front jacket should be open and long up to the knees.
b. Jacket is lined in dark green jacquard or brocade.
c. Jacket has an upturned collar of dark rose fabric measuring 2” (5 cm) at the nape of the neck and tapering down, ending just under the bust. Dark rose trim roughly .75” (2 cm) wide also goes around the outside edge of the lower part the jacket.
d. On the back, the jacket forms a downward V with an opening that rises up to half the thigh, slightly above the knees at the mid-back. No back or side seems. It is fitted down to natural waist then flairs out in a modified A-line. Bottom front corners of the jacket are curved.
e. Lightweight pale dusty rose fabric is used for the sleeves. Sleeves are puffed on the upper arm and gather midway to the elbow. There may be small pleats at the elbow. Sleeves are fitted on the lower part of the arm
f. Sleeves end in wide dusty rose cuffs. Cuffs are stiff and curve around the arm, shorter under the arm and longer on top. Cuffs are decorated with thick metallic orange/bronze cord or wire bracelets that end in green ovular gems under the wrist.
2. Undershirt
a. Under the jacket is a bright yellow-green, sweetheart neckline, created from two petal pieces joined with a seam at the center. Pale dusty rose fabric is used for the triangle shaped piece that connects at the bust line, under the jacket, and ending bellow the belly button.
b. This may be a full undershirt or a dickie snapped into the front of the jacket.

3. Belt
a. Belt buckle is a flat gold disk roughly 3” (7.5 cm) across.
b. The buckle is decorated with green gems the same color as the jacket lining. There is one large circular gem roughly 1” (2.5 cm) across, and six smaller teardrop shaped gems extending under it like sun rays. The teardrop gems decrease in size from the center outwards.
c. There is a thick metallic orange or bronze cord or wire just under the seam of the jacket that ends under the central buckle. The cord turns down at a right angle under the bust, then turns horizontal again. The cord curves turns upward again at the sides of the jacket and sits just below the waist line at the back of the jacket.
d. The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. The jacket fastening shall not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.

4. Gloves
a. Gloves are fitted and made by dark grey fabric or suede. Gloves should match pants.

5. Pants
a. Pants are made of medium to heavy-weight stretch fabric (velvet or suede suggested) in a dark gray-purple color. Pants should be a darker color than the boots.

6. Boots
a. Knee-high boots made of dark gray suede or non-shiny leather.
b. Boots should have a low (1”-2” or 2.5 cm – 5 cm) heel that is light brown or beige in color.
c. A reverse flap folds down at the knees over the top of the boot, in the same pale dusty pink color as the sleeves. Flap should be roughly 2.5” (6.5 cm) wide. There is a V-shaped cut-out on the flap at the front center with curved corners.

7. Hair
a. The hair is styled back with curls on the nape and without visible clips. The forehead is framed by two curled locks of hair. Natural hair colors only, blond hair recommended.
b. If a wig is used, it should be should be of a good quality and seem like real hair.

8. Earrings
a. Earrings are made of a larger teardrop shape in bright yellow-green with five dark red petals/points coming out of the lower half of the teardrop.

Optional:

3. Rose gold circlet Decorated with green opaque stones as seen in season 3 episode 5 "Corruption"

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Marziatrap ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jenna! For me it's ok ❤

Member of RLGS
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is perfect to me as well. Thank you for taking the time reading our opinions. This standard really does seem to combine a bit of everyones observations. Can't wait to start Satine, we'll next year, as I promised my husband no more till then. But I can PLAN!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I was just thinking I should look at writing all this together. You beat me to it. Wink

SongofAmazon wrote:
Thanks everyone for all of your input. I tried to combine everyone's comments into one set of standards. How does this look now?

I made some minor language changes, but I think this looks great. Smile Shall we move onto the next step?

Required:

1. Jacket
a. Dusty rose jacket made of medium to heavyweight chenille, jacquard or brocade fabric with a fine pattern or texture. Top part of jacket is gathered under the bust. The front jacket should be open and long going to the knees.
b. Jacket is lined in dark green jacquard or brocade.
c. Jacket has an upturned collar of dark rose fabric measuring 2” (5 cm) at the nape of the neck and tapering down, ending just under the bust. Dark rose trim roughly .75” (2 cm) wide also goes around the outside edge of the lower part the jacket.
d. On the back, the jacket forms a downward V with an opening that rises up to half the thigh, slightly above the knees at the mid-back. No back or side seems. It is fitted down to natural waist then flairs out in a modified A-line. Bottom front corners of the jacket are curved.
e. Lightweight pale dusty rose fabric is used for the sleeves. Sleeves are puffed on the upper arm and gather midway to the elbow. There may be small pleats at the elbow. Sleeves are fitted on the lower part of the arm
f. Sleeves end in wide dusty rose cuffs. Cuffs are stiff and curve around the arm, shorter under the arm and longer on top. Cuffs are decorated with thick metallic orange/bronze cord or wire bracelets that end in green ovular gems under the wrist.

2. Undershirt
a. Under the jacket is a bright yellow-green, sweetheart neckline, created from two petal pieces joined with a seam at the center. Pale dusty rose fabric is used for the triangle shaped piece that connects at the bust line, under the jacket, and ending bellow the belly button.
b. This may be a full undershirt or a dickie snapped into the front of the jacket.

3. Belt
a. Belt buckle is a flat gold disk approximately 3” (7.5 cm) across.
b. The buckle is decorated with green gems the same color as the jacket lining. There is one large circular gem approximately 1” (2.5 cm) across, and six smaller teardrop shaped gems extending under it like sun rays. The teardrop gems decrease in size from the center outwards.
c. There is a thick metallic orange or bronze cord or wire just under the seam of the jacket that ends under the central buckle. The cord/wire turns down at a right angle under the bust, then turns horizontal again. The cord/wire curve turns upward again at the sides of the jacket and sits just below the waist line at the back of the jacket. The same cord/wire and color should be used for the cuffs and belt.
d. The belt is placed on the center, fitted part of the jacket roughly at the waist. The jacket fastening must not be visible, but hidden under the buckle.

4. Gloves
a. Gloves are fitted and made by dark grey fabric or suede. Gloves should match pants.

5. Pants
a. Pants are made of medium to heavy-weight stretch fabric (velvet or suede suggested) in a dark gray-purple color. Pants should be a darker color than the boots.

6. Boots
a. Knee-high boots made of dark gray suede or non-shiny leather.
b. Boots should have a low (1”-2” or 2.5 cm – 5 cm) heel that is light brown or beige in color.
c. A reverse flap folds down at the knees over the top of the boot, in the same pale dusty pink color as the sleeves. Flap should be approximately 2.5” (6.5 cm) wide. There is a V-shaped cut-out on the flap at the front center with curved corners.

7. Hair
a. The hair is styled back with curls on the nape and without visible clips. The forehead is framed by two curled locks of hair. Natural hair colors only, blond hair recommended.
b. If a wig is used, it should be should be of a good quality and seem like real hair.

8. Earrings
a. Earrings are made of a larger teardrop shape in bright yellow-green with five dark red petals/points coming out of the lower half of the teardrop.

Optional:

3. Rose gold circlet decorated with green opaque stones as seen in season 3 episode 5 "Corruption"

Marziatrap ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please, go ahead! 😉

Member of RLGS
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hereby moving to the detachment. Smile

If you spot anything else, please go discuss it there.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: