Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8713edbd03d5c3ee8fc0c9093a0d3c33Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia buns: HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: ANH Leia buns: HELP! Reply with quote

So I've just been approved with my ANH Leia, and I found a great Etsy shop that made me custom hair buns. They look awesome and she offers many colors if you want to match your own hair. However...

The back of each bun has this elastic netting, which is then placed over smaller buns that I make with my own hair. The strings are then pulled to make them tighter. The first issue I'm having is that each bun has required at least 20 bobby pins, probably more, in order to keep them secure which is what makes it so time consuming. I also most definitely need a spotter to get them in since they need to be positioned the right way on my head. When I had assistance putting them in for my approval photos, they took about an hour to get both done. The second problem is that even with all of those pins, the buns are still not quite flush enough to my head as I would like. They are fine, but I feel they would look better if I could somehow get them to pin tighter to my head.

I'm thinking that I may end up having to do my buns before an event since having a spotter do them will not always be reliable, especially if no one there is good with hair pieces. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Smile

Link to Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Puppycatmeow?ref=l2-shopheader-name

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really look beautiful. Is the need for all of the pins because of how heavy they are? I have a similar type of insta-bun (without the draw string because I don't have enough hair to make my own buns) that I can hold on with about 6 pins apiece, but I used crinkled hair rather than silky hair like you have on yours to make me, which is a lot lighter.

How much hair do you have naturally? The reason they're not lying flat on your head may be because of how big your mini-buns are. You might be a good candidate for this bun method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZQZ-YX9H4&feature=youtu.be

Generall, I find that the more I wear my buns the better I get at it. I used to need a spotter and extra help (and lots of time) for the first year I was wearing them, but now it only takes me about 10 minutes to do my hair into Leia buns. So at the very least, I can say that it does get better with practice and mirrors. I always remember to bring a table-top mirror with me to troops in case our changing space doesn't have one.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, practice and more practice.

Five years in, gosh I've been doing this that long!? I still have to undo my hair and redo because buns aren't even, or they look wonky.

I use a mix of regular bobby pins and these guys:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html

The magic grip hairpins make for great anchor pins. I use them now on my ANH buns and my bun/braid for Bespin.

It'll get easier!
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your really into using your hair buns, what you make want to try is new bobby pins. Before I discovered "thick hair" bobby pins I wound up using about 15 standard, Walmart bought, bobby pins per bun. Even then the pins would gradually slide out and show through. Then I discovered bobby pins for thick hair, and wow what a difference. The pins hold tightly to my head and don't slide out, and I only need about 6 to feel secure.

Next what I might try, is braiding your hair. I would use a thin clear elastic to put your hair in pigtails, as these are less bulky, then braid your hair tightly while it's damp. Try coiling your braid so it lays flat. This would be a perfect place for the cheap small bobby pins, again to reduce bulk.

The final thing you may want to try is adding a small hair comb on the inside of your bun. The comb would grab ahold of your hair under the braided bun holding it securely.
[/img]
carlamariegiac (Carla)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
They really look beautiful. Is the need for all of the pins because of how heavy they are? I have a similar type of insta-bun (without the draw string because I don't have enough hair to make my own buns) that I can hold on with about 6 pins apiece, but I used crinkled hair rather than silky hair like you have on yours to make me, which is a lot lighter.

How much hair do you have naturally? The reason they're not lying flat on your head may be because of how big your mini-buns are. You might be a good candidate for this bun method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZQZ-YX9H4&feature=youtu.be

Generall, I find that the more I wear my buns the better I get at it. I used to need a spotter and extra help (and lots of time) for the first year I was wearing them, but now it only takes me about 10 minutes to do my hair into Leia buns. So at the very least, I can say that it does get better with practice and mirrors. I always remember to bring a table-top mirror with me to troops in case our changing space doesn't have one.

Thank you! The woman really did a beautiful job with them. They are very heavy, hence the need for all of the pins. My hair is just about shoulder length, and I can get my hair into tiny buns, but my hair is very soft and thin so it's hard to braid it or anything like that, so maybe eventually I can look into those hair extensions from that video. Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely need help, because I absolutely SUCK when it comes to doing hair. I'm talking like the only thing I ever do it either towel dry it or put it up in a ponytail haha. I'll definitely need to practice on my own though when I can. I'm also just worried that the hair will start to unravel eventually from them being touched often.

I'm hoping that I'll have someone spotting that can help me out beforehand. I would definitely need at least an hour to get them in and make sure they look right. Good thing there isn't much assembly required for the rest of the costume haha! Thanks so much for the suggestions and help!

plushie wrote:
Practice, practice and more practice.

Five years in, gosh I've been doing this that long!? I still have to undo my hair and redo because buns aren't even, or they look wonky.

I use a mix of regular bobby pins and these guys:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html

The magic grip hairpins make for great anchor pins. I use them now on my ANH buns and my bun/braid for Bespin.

It'll get easier!

I actually just ordered these from Amazon! I saw on another post that they were good for the Leia buns. Thanks!! It's definitely going to take a lot of time and practice.

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers wrote:
If your really into using your hair buns, what you make want to try is new bobby pins. Before I discovered "thick hair" bobby pins I wound up using about 15 standard, Walmart bought, bobby pins per bun. Even then the pins would gradually slide out and show through. Then I discovered bobby pins for thick hair, and wow what a difference. The pins hold tightly to my head and don't slide out, and I only need about 6 to feel secure.

Next what I might try, is braiding your hair. I would use a thin clear elastic to put your hair in pigtails, as these are less bulky, then braid your hair tightly while it's damp. Try coiling your braid so it lays flat. This would be a perfect place for the cheap small bobby pins, again to reduce bulk.

The final thing you may want to try is adding a small hair comb on the inside of your bun. The comb would grab ahold of your hair under the braided bun holding it securely.
[/img]

Yeah, I've been using at least 20 per bun, probably more! I'm going to try those Magic pins and see if I won't need as many. Also, I didn't think of trying a braid instead of a smaller bun. The problem is that my hair is very soft, almost "too healthy" to hold a braid. Every time I've had a braid done it just falls right out. I'll give it a shot though!
As for the combs, I'm afraid they might make the buns bulkier underneath since they're already not pinning tight enough. I'll give the braid method a try first, and then go from there.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have fine, straight, hair, and I agree it's hard to get my hair to style right after I clean it. What you may want to try is the night (or day if that's your thing) before a trooping event, don't shampoo or condition your hair. Let it dry naturally which will give your hair more hold. When your hair is squeaky clean, pins and braids won't hold as wel. It needs some oil and product to get good traction.

I learned this lesson the hard way. The night before my wedding I shampooed and conditioned with "the good stuff" because I wanted to pamper myself. Well the next day when I tried curling my hair for the "princess look" it just keep falling flat and straight.

The best way to get a style to hold in fine hair, is not wash it before styling. I have fussed with my buns for over an hour trying to get it right the day after shampooing, only to have pins popping out and my hair untwisting all over the place. Meanwhile on days my hair has that kinda rolled out of bed thing going on, I get quick perfect buns that take 20 minutes start to finish.

Also as I'm sure you know practice! I have been wearing my buns almost every day for two weeks straight, trying this technique and that one. All so I can get a technique that works for me. Nothing makes people smile more that seeing random Leia buns on someone in summer!

Good luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: