Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=049e95ca4f43cb7217981960c160265bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Belt Hardware

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hdcfabrication ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Chicago
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Han Solo Belt Hardware Reply with quote

Hello all,

New costumer here and I'm working on a smuggler and then a formal Han Solo approval. I'm looking for a nice set of, preferably stainless, han buckles but I haven't had much luck. I may be able to do aluminum myself. Todds is no longer selling them. I'm trying to reach out to a few metal workers as it's one of the few things I don't have a lot of the tools to do myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ichnob ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 92

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, nothing shows up on Etsy, and only the buckle shows up on Shapeways without any means of attaching the drop holster.

While I can provide some shape measurements for the buckles, I have no access any of the tools in order to get metal cut. However, I have seen people use rectangle ring hinges for the buckle parts with some JB weld to a similar effect of Todd's holster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdcfabrication ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Chicago
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response. I may end up having to cut some myself it seems. Would you be able to pm me the measurements?



ichnob wrote:
Sadly, nothing shows up on Etsy, and only the buckle shows up on Shapeways without any means of attaching the drop holster.

While I can provide some shape measurements for the buckles, I have no access any of the tools in order to get metal cut. However, I have seen people use rectangle ring hinges for the buckle parts with some JB weld to a similar effect of Todd's holster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ichnob ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 92

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on The RPF. Looks like he went to a metal worker through Etsy and got that made for him. Cost $150 for the hardware as a commission it seems.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273894&highlight=todd+hardware
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdcfabrication ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Chicago
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info! I'll need to look at the measurements as it says his aren't screen accurate but they look damn good.


ichnob wrote:
I found this on The RPF. Looks like he went to a metal worker through Etsy and got that made for him. Cost $150 for the hardware as a commission it seems.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273894&highlight=todd+hardware
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Crazylegsmurphy ()



Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Posts: 93

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdccosplay wrote:
Thank you very much for the info! I'll need to look at the measurements as it says his aren't screen accurate but they look damn good.


ichnob wrote:
I found this on The RPF. Looks like he went to a metal worker through Etsy and got that made for him. Cost $150 for the hardware as a commission it seems.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273894&highlight=todd+hardware


The measurements are close, but slightly off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Han_Sulu ()



Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 14

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I designed and 3D printed mine and used Smooth On's XTC to smooth out the ridges. I'll be working on 2.0 with using metal pigment instead of clear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ichnob ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 92

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Rough tracing of Todd's buckle dimensions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crazylegsmurphy ()



Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Posts: 93

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week while trying to nail down the Episode 7 buckles, I revisited the others. I am becoming more. and more convinced that most people do not have the proper sized buckles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ichnob ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 92

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
This week while trying to nail down the Episode 7 buckles, I revisited the others. I am becoming more. and more convinced that most people do not have the proper sized buckles.

Todd's buckles are actually better suited towards 1.75" leather instead of 2." So you might be right about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crazylegsmurphy ()



Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Posts: 93

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
This week while trying to nail down the Episode 7 buckles, I revisited the others. I am becoming more. and more convinced that most people do not have the proper sized buckles.

Todd's buckles are actually better suited towards 1.75" leather instead of 2." So you might be right about that.


Well, lets put aside for a moment that there is growing evidence that each holster has different size/shaped buckles.

The buckle patterns I've been seeing online look to be very large, and perhaps too wide. I am going to put a bunch more research into it this week, go over all my patterns with an even finer toothed comb and see if I can't work out what is going on here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kman ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 1263
Location: Tarzana, CA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagged to follow, since I may be making a belt in the not too distant future. No one seems to make a TFA belt, after all...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdcfabrication ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Location: Chicago
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help. I couldn't find the quality to I decided to make them. I need to redesign the hangers though. My han solo belt has been delayed due to some luke and mara jade belt and gun comissions but here is the hardware. I'll have belts available. This hardware is stainless steal. but the kits are comperable to what Todd's offered.





Here is an image with my in progress generic smuggler with a dual holster set up on the unfinished Han belt and custum blasters. You can see why I need to redo the hangers.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kman ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 1263
Location: Tarzana, CA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be selling that hardware somewhere?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group