Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a2fe530458cc6de6b9059e77accab4b5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Costume standard proposal - Rebel Ground Crew
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: New Costume standard proposal - Rebel Ground Crew Reply with quote

I recently had this costume approved and wrote a proposed standard for it. Id like to get it listed among the RL standards.

Trooper Class:
Rebel Ground Crew

Note, this is different than the hangar
technician in that the techs with helmets
are never seen directly working on the
fighters. The helmetless ground crew load
droids into the sockets and are hands on
for preflight prep and checks.

"Rebel Ground Crew" Proposed Standard:

Required:
Flightsuit: Light tan or light gray coverall
with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab,
rectangular pocket with a flap closure on
upper right arm, 2 hip pockets and 4 leg
pockets. No visible zippers or snaps. This
is the same flightsuit as the Pilots wear
and pockets should be the same. Pants
can be hemmed or cuffed.

Boots/shoes: Black boots or black shoes
with rounded toe and smooth finish. Black
Mid calf Boots are required if pant legs are
to be tucked in. Shoes may be worn if
pant legs are untucked.

Optional items:

Jumpsuit legs may be worn inside or
outside of the Boots.

If a belt is worn, legs must be untucked.

If no belt is worn, legs must be tucked in
to boots.

Belt: dark khaki, khaki green, British
Khaki, Olive, Olive drab or dark tan with a
roll pin buckle. Belt should have mini-flare
loops that can be empty or contain the
mini-flares.

One "Code Cylinder" aka "X-Wing tool" in
left pocket.

Reference Photos

Quote -
"This R2 unit of yours seems a bit beat up,
want a new one?"

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree we see the crew chief in several scenes, but couldn't it simply be a variant of the tech?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fine as well, currently my costume does not conform to the existing standard of a tech because the standard lists Helmet and Belt as required. I needed to make the case and distinction of a new costume type in order to be approved and also to distinguish the "R2 loader" variant with the no belt/tucked pant leg.

If we want to go with just one standard for all variants, Id suggest also adding in the "War Room Tech" as well that has the belt and racal minilite headset.

Personally, I would have three separate standards to avoid confusion between the optional items, but listing them all out under the one standard could work too as long as the standard is revised and well written.

Hangar tech - Helmet, belt, untucked pantlegs
Ground crew - No helmet, belt or no belt, if no belt pantlegs are tucked in for R2 loader variant.
War room tech - Racal minilite, Belt, unsure on pantlegs so either might be fine
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a character that is not only clearly seen, but has dialogue with one of the "stars".

Coveralls and boots as the base costume.
Helmet, belt, and headset combinations as seen on screen.

I proposed this a couple of years ago but was eventually not accepted.
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of these guys on screen in ANH and countless other costume standards with less reference than these characters. Why wouldn't these standards be accepted or, at the very least, revise the current Tech standard to accept the 3-4 variations seen on screen? Why was your proposal rejected last time Mac?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58617&highlight=
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing that thread Mac is referencing, it looks like the end consensus was "I see no major issues with getting it created as a Standard." and most people in the discussion were in favor of creating new standards.

So where do we go from here to make it happen? Im down to assist, just let me know what needs doing Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard anymore about this standard?

Also, look at how many techs are seen in Rogue One with no helmet and also many with vests over the coveralls.

Iron Edge wrote:
After reviewing that thread Mac is referencing, it looks like the end consensus was "I see no major issues with getting it created as a Standard." and most people in the discussion were in favor of creating new standards.

So where do we go from here to make it happen? Im down to assist, just let me know what needs doing Smile

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 is a different movie with different costumes made up from bits of the previous films so we cant compare/ contrast in my opinion. There was little budget for ANH costumes.

I just re read the topics ...and based on everything ive experienced with multi options to a single costume as both a Judge/GML & CRL / Standard writer i feel a separate standard is better.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket has struck and the reference photos are gone now. Ibe been trying to back mine up.

suggested edits in blue, removals in red.

Iron Edge wrote:

Hangar tech - Helmet, belt, untucked pantlegs
Ground crew - No helmet, belt or no belt, if no belt pantlegs are tucked in for R2 loader variant.
War room tech - Racal minilite, Belt, unsure on pantlegs so either might be fine

I agree that sub classifications would be helpful, and there would be nothing standing in the way of approving all three (or four with the helmet variety).

Ground Crew (or crew chief since this was a speaking role)

Required:
Flightsuit: Light tan or light gray coverall
with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab,
rectangular pocket with a flap closure on
upper right arm, 2 hip pockets and 4 leg
pockets. No visible zippers or snaps. This
is the same flightsuit as the Pilots wear
and pockets should be the same. Pants
can be hemmed or cuffed.

Boots/shoes: Black boots or black shoes
with rounded toe and smooth finish. Black
Mid calf Boots are required if pant legs are
pant legs are untucked.

Optional items for Ground Crew or Crew Cheif

Jumpsuit legs may be worn inside or
outside of the Boots.

If boots are worn:

If a belt is worn, legs must be untucked.

to boots.

[ what is the suggested combination for shoes?
*edit my photo collection shows the actors on lunch outside, one with untucked legs in black shoes with a belt on]

Belt: dark khaki, khaki green, British
Khaki, Olive, Olive drab or dark tan with a
roll pin buckle. Belt should have mini-flare
loops that can be empty or contain the
mini-flares.

One "Code Cylinder" aka "X-Wing tool" in
left pocket.
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Black Mid calf Boots are required if pant legs are
pant legs are untucked."

Theres no combination for shoes, pant legs would be untucked, and a belt must be worn with that.

The only tech without a belt has his pant legs tucked in, so boots would be required for the beltless "crew cheif" variant.

this should be covered by

"If a belt is worn, legs must be untucked.

to boots. "

While I agree it would be nice to have everything in one standard, as you can see the verbiage can get tricky when attempting to explain each variant. I think that due to this fact, additional standards may be easier for the applicants, perhaps we can add links to the other variants on each standard to show an association?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last November I proposed this simplification that requires no new categories...
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80504&highlight=

REQUIRED ITEMS
1. Flightsuit: Light tan or light gray coverall with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, 2 hip pockets and 4 leg pockets. Black velcro is used on the neck and arm cuffs as well as the pockets. No visible zippers or snaps are allowed. This is the same flightsuit pattern as the ANH Pilots wear and pockets should be the same. Pants can be hemmed or cuffed.

2. Belt: dark khaki, khaki green, British Khaki, Olive, Olive drab or dark tan with a roll pin buckle. Belt should have mini-flare loops that can be empty or contain up to a full set of 12 mini-flares.

3. Boots/shoes: Black jack (half-calf) boots or black shoes with rounded toe and smooth finish. Black socks must be worn with the shoes. If boots are worn, pants should be tucked into them.

OPTIONAL ITEMS:
Note: Optional items are exclusive to each other. None may be combined with the other at the same time.

1. Arm Tools/Code cylinders. From one to three may be worn on the left arm as per the ANH Pilots.

2. Helmet: Accurate tech helmet (RFT helmet with no swoop on back) Helmet can be white or light gray and can have either a white/light gray or black com box. It may or may not have an Antenna on the comm box.

3. Headset: Original was a Racal brand headset... add description, etc...
---------------

Ian has hit on one exception to the above I myself had discounted. There are two times a tech is seen without a belt, where the waistlines are visible at all. I am basing this statement on the relatively lo-rez source material I had for the research I did and posted on YT as linked in my original thread. It's very possible that Blu-ray would reveal greater details I cannot at this time see.

The first belt-less Tech plugs R2 into the computer to d'load the DStar plans. Only the waist is seen on this guy and barely. I expect George needed a quick shot and grabbed the first person he found who happened to be belt-less.

The second time is the primary tech loading R2 into Luke's X-Wing as Luke ascends the stairs. The next shot 3PO's viewpoint looking up at R2 shows both of the Techs wearing belts. I discounted this loading shot as on-stage circumstance of production needing to get the footage shot before end of day.

The only other Techs shown loading an R2 do wear belts as they load the green R2-X2 droid. It's possible that the belt-less Tech was shot at a different time and when they shot 3PO's point of view at R2, those two guys seen are the same ones loading R2-X2 and not the two shown with Luke. The faces cannot be seen in this POV shot, so no way to be sure of how they shot it. There's no reason they had to have the same guys on top of the ship for 3PO's POV shot. It could have been done on a different day.

As edited and seen in the film, this chalks up to simple "continuity error".

No other "Yavin Tech" with or without helmet is seen without a belt. My feeling would be that just as an X-Wing pilot is not allowed to wear black shoes despite the majority of pilots wearing black shoes, a belt-less Tech is an aberration, not a standard. I happen to be in big favor of X-Wing pilots wearing black shoes with a distinct revision to their CRL, but it's not the standard as-is and this quickly diverges into a different detachment.

There are helmetless Techs with and without Arm Tools, so should not be mandatory.

The tucked/untucked note as written makes no sense to me. The guy loading R2 without a belt is wearing boots, therefore with pants tucked into them just as RFTs, pilots, et al who wear mid-calf boots in the entire film. I expect the actor was given one of the few pairs of boots available to production as he is prominently seen. Maybe his belt was falling apart and they had him remove it. Maybe he got the boots on and was rushed to the stage before the belt happened. There's little to no way to tell 40yrs later.

Most techs wearing black shoes (just like the pilots) can't tuck their pants into their boots as they are wearing shoes. If one is wearing boots with pants unfurled, then they are simply techs who appear to be wearing shoes.

--------
My Tech suit is little closer to completion than it was back in November. I will not be submitting with a helmet regardless of the CRL. The only guys seen with helmets specifically drive the personnel transports or wave the flight sticks at the launching X-Wings. The only Techs seen with Racal headsets are seen in the war room. Three different crews with the same base uniform. Ground, Flight and Tactical. One CRL, three optionals.
Wingspan ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to submit my Yavin Tech costume soon. I do have a helmet but I'd like the option of not wearing it, especially when operating my droid. If approved, this will be my first RL costume so I haven't been through the approval process before. What's the best way to proceed with this? Should I submit the costume twice as a Tech with helmet and Ground Crew without?
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tom I disagree with you on not allowing the beltless tech, its clearly seen in the film and hes the only one that has his boots tucked in so that needs to be noted, also its an approved costume already I have provided clear reference for, we just need to figure out if it goes into the existing standard or a new one. Hes even got lines its not like hes a background guy like the pilots in the celebration scene. He was meant to be there and if they didn't like that he didn't have a belt there were plenty of other techs running around they could have grabbed that day.

On that topic of the pilots you mentioned, I feel if they have that exact blue bird helmet with the smoked lenses like the celebration scene ones do members should be allowed to emulate the celebration scene pilots. I do agree it shouldn't be an option for generics. But that is a discussion for another detachment.

RAID has always been open to the different screen seen variants on troopers, example being the "Tan hat" celebration scene troopers.
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingspan wrote:
I plan to submit my Yavin Tech costume soon. I do have a helmet but I'd like the option of not wearing it, especially when operating my droid. If approved, this will be my first RL costume so I haven't been through the approval process before. What's the best way to proceed with this? Should I submit the costume twice as a Tech with helmet and Ground Crew without?

That is perfectly acceptable Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: