Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=048998c9ce0d534854cae24690ac5d3dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel SpecForces (R1) Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddViking ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Rogue One donut color Reply with quote

I saw this in the standards:

"Variation C
Endor-styled donut (dark blue or green) and AN-H-15 cloth cap (or replica) with a ribbed strip on the top and cloth bill."

...and I disagree that the new donuts are dark blue. They appear to be almost black, or very dark gray. My guess is "graphite" or "Charcoal Gray" spray paint would be the right color.

This color would have blue refections when under the blue skies of Scarif, but when you see it in other scenes like interior shots, there is no blue unless they are facing the outside sky. All shiny, dark material reflects blue light like this, so to tell the true color of something, you have to look at the base tone (between highlight and shadow), or view it in neutral light to see the color.

I recommend that the standard should be amended.

Reference shots:

(thanks all for finding and posting such great reference that I could collect here!)
OddViking ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: More evidence for dark gray donuts Reply with quote

This is from the Black Series small helmet toy. I know toys are not the best reference, but the Black Series is in general way more accurate. This donut is also dark charcoal gray.

OddViking ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, of note: The Rogue One Donut helmets do not have the rounded leather cover added to the lower "corners" that the Endor Donut helmets do. Not sure why they changed that detail, I liked how it changed the look.

DroidWelder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainbiscuit9999 wrote:

Is this why no one has done an R1 trooper with an Endor helmet yet>? So basically, for approval, I can't just use my helmet from my ERT?

What If I were to make a add-on vac formed panel that had the detailing of the back side of the RO Donut, that could be stuck onto the back of the Endor Donut helmet? (the Donuts that I make.)

David L.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
Kjeldo (Arnold San Diego)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
captainbiscuit9999 wrote:

Is this why no one has done an R1 trooper with an Endor helmet yet>? So basically, for approval, I can't just use my helmet from my ERT?

What If I were to make a add-on vac formed panel that had the detailing of the back side of the RO Donut, that could be stuck onto the back of the Endor Donut helmet? (the Donuts that I make.)

David L.

I'd say that's a great idea, David. Sign me up for one Smile
BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowing this shot from the weekend at our National Space Centre. Group pic with Daniel Mays from Rogue One.

Last edited by BigFatCat (Geoff Hawley) on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ditzy rebel (CLAIR PARKER)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am having trouble getting helicon sfu to fit, they are a mans cut and look rubbish. Are other makes styles acceptable? Looking at these,

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-nebraska-walking-trousers-womens-p321309

Thanks
C x
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditzy rebel wrote:
Hi all,
I am having trouble getting helicon sfu to fit, they are a mans cut and look rubbish. Are other makes styles acceptable? Looking at these,

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-nebraska-walking-trousers-womens-p321309

Thanks
C x

These would pass as long as any logos are removed. It looks like there is a logo on the left leg that could be pulled out with a seam ripper pretty easily. They look to be the right color and have clipped cargo pockets. Hope that helps!

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast response, much appreciated. I can pick a pair up tomorrow .

C x
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Hoth-style jacket Reply with quote

So, there is a boat-full of great information on here. However, I have seen little about the "hoth-style" jacket that goes with the open back vest. I am guessing it is custom sewn, but what colors did they use for the fabric? Is there anyone making one yet?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Blue Squadron Leader (Sean)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoth-style jacket Reply with quote

Toda wrote:
So, there is a boat-full of great information on here. However, I have seen little about the "hoth-style" jacket that goes with the open back vest. I am guessing it is custom sewn, but what colors did they use for the fabric? Is there anyone making one yet?

I found this one. https://www.etsy.com/listing/501742477/star-wars-rogue-one-trooper-vest-cosplay?ref=shop_home_active_2
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hoth-style jacket Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the open-back vest greeblie. However, I was actually talking about discussion about the trench trooper-like jacket that is worn under the vest (which the one on the link looks well made, and I know they do good work!). As noted previously, there is no skirt opening, so it is a pull over jacket of some sort. It also looks like the lower sleeves have re-inforced material on them, but not quilting. The collar is also not quilted. The material looks like a heavy cotton.

Blue Squadron Leader wrote:
Toda wrote:

I found this one. https://www.etsy.com/listing/501742477/star-wars-rogue-one-trooper-vest-cosplay?ref=shop_home_active_2

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo

Last edited by Toda () on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
OddViking ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: More reference Reply with quote

Watching the Rogue One bonus features recently, I was able to find some more reference for the Rebel Donut, along with some other bits. If you have the BluRay, it is worth a watch. Some of the best are these artful shots of extras at the start of one of the bonus shorts. These are just iPhone-to-TV-screen shots, so you can probably get better images watching in person.

Saw's rebels have silver donut helmets, but are otherwise the same design. You can see the main differences from the Endor ones is: 1- that the donut doesn't get cut away to fit over the ear covers. 2 -The soft part doesn't have the leather covers on the lower corners. 3 - The back has a different vent texture:

edit: Images were too big, re-uploading.

This extra is wearing it backwards (probably first day on set) and so we finally get a clear shot of the new back venting!:

Top edge:

General Rebel shots:

Cassian's pants showing padded knee:
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditzy rebel wrote:
Thank you for the fast response, much appreciated. I can pick a pair up tomorrow .

C x

Maybe you want to check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1934197186801179/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you have send a join request
Clair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: