Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=49e333e0c985f2f472a379b7a9a36193Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode III "Liberty dies" senate gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Padme Episode III "Liberty dies" senate gown Reply with quote

I made this Episode III senate gown a couple of years ago, and I was wondering how much work I'd need to do to get it approvable.

It's made from wool, with velvet for the tabard and capelet-thing. Sleeves are in I think five panels with velvet piping between each. Design on the edge of the velvet pieces is painted on with fabric paint marker.

The brooches I sculpted from Fimo.

The headdress was made by my partner from plastic and foam.

The biggest thing I know needs modifying is that I didn't use burnout velvet on the underskirt due to cost - mine is a lace overlay. I am thinking about redoing the underskirt with burnout velvet - does anyone have any suggestions of a fabric I don't have to burn out myself? I don't really have the space to work on something like that.

Anyway I know it's only worth investing in that if the rest of the dress is close to clearable - I don't think I'll do it if I have to remake the whole thing.

What do you all think? How much work would I realistically need to do to get this cleared?

Last edited by chameleon () on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking very nice. Smile
I'm not sure about the fabric for the scarf, so I'd like a second opinion on that. Hair piece and brooches looks good. The coat should maybe have sharper points aka be raised a little on the sides, but that is certainly doable without having to buy anything new. The movie dress has a sharper inverted V on the sides. The lace looks pretty nice, too. Unfortunately I haven't seen a fabric with that pattern that can be purchased. Collar might be a bit small compared, but does stand up well.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora makes some excellent points. Our standards called for a pleated or crinkled scarf, and yours is nicely crinkled over the shoulders. If you can managed to get the rest of crinkle all the way down, it should work. Otherwise, you could just add the really tight pleats yourself and tack them down a bit to keep them there.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both. It's good to know it's close, but given that I can't find any burnout velvet with a pattern closer than the lace I've used, and that I don't have the facilities or funds to burn my own, this one is probably going to have to stay unapproved. Ah well! On to the next one.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're up for it I'd still suggest to make the other updates and use this for non-canon events. It's a lovely costume. Smile

chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I certainly will use it for other things. I always hoped to figure out the velvet later on, but it doesn't really matter, I'm still quite happy with it and it's not uncomfortable to wear Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear so. Smile The burnout velvet used on Padmé's costumes are frequently a source of frustration for people doing her costumes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: