Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7547a11e754b0770893a97667a32bce7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Veranda Nightgown fabric
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, understandable. Wink But a white jersey fabric can work, too, without it being see-through.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
What are you using for a pattern? I really want to make this as I'm expecting and it would be a nice addition to my cosplay collection lol. I know the actual pattern is ridiculously expensive!

You mean the McCall pattern, right?
I am not using that one - not because it's expensive, but because I don't like it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that one doesn't have the panels on the front and it's all wrong on the back - splits in two "wings" rather than just one big piece, whose hanging pieces are pinned up in a way to form the "waterfall" style. Well, can't really explain it, but you know what I mean.

I'm being helped in this one because, as a project, this one is much more challenging than Rey and my friend (who's doing most of the sewing) is trying to pattern it herself. There's tons of great reference and tutorials on Fit For A Queen and Padawan's Guide (which I still use as main source for all my Star Wars costuming).

Plus, the McCall pattern isn't meant to accomodate the baby bump (that's what the panels are for in the movie version, to frame the belly, which is first supposed to be revealed during that scene).
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME!!

I'm finally getting around this thing and it's finally coming together. I ended up putting this project aside in order to favor my Mustafar first, but now it's time to finish this baby up.
I ended up re-ordering some fabric, because the original 5.5 yards weren't enough. I ordered 5 more yrds and here we go.

GUYS IT DRAPES BEAUTIFULLY. I don't think I've ever seen a fabric that moves around this pretty. It's so light and delicate, I'm always afraid it might rip though. It's going to be hard to try not to ruin it while trooping.

The color also: it's not light blue, baby blue, powder blue, lilac, lavander, silver... it's just such a unique shade that changes sub-tones according to the light and how it's exposed to it. Not too shiny, not too dull. It's the perfect, satin finish. And yes, it is actual silk charmeuse.
I think I'm in love <3

I'll post updates as soon as I have made progress

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color does look lovely in that photo. Smile I look forward to seeing your progress.

And if you need any more references you can always take a look here: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=padme-amidala-revenge-of-the-sith-steel-blue-veranda-night-gown

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are. I'm finally almost done with this one too.

Bit of An update

I'm stitching the X pattern to attach the panels together, lining the tiny gap between them with a flesh toned fabric.

And yes it IS harder than it looks lol

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. I'm sure it will be fantastic once done. Smile

lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lora!

I'm actually mostly done - it still needs properly pressing and steaming, but it's coming together AT LAST! <3

Also, this is my personal take on the "behind the scenes". I needed a way to give the cape a better, stronger, steadier base. The fabric is so lightweight I can't possibly manage to make it lay flat *in place*, so we came up with an alternative opening/back. It doesn't show once the cape is pinned on top of it and it also really helps supporting the weight of the pearls (which, for some reason, are really heavy - didn't get the cheap plastic ones, mine are almost *possibly* metal base). It's closed with an invisible zipper, which also helps making it more practical to wear and to take off, without having to relay on tiny delicate automatic-buttons-on-the-even-more-tiny-straps. I felt like it needed some strenght. I would hate having to sew the clips back on every event or so.

Aaaand here's with the cape attached. Still need to add the pearls, fix the last details, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel lol

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update.
I SEE THE LIGHT.

Details of the pearls on the back

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking so nice. Very Happy Have you also added the stitching detail down the middle of the waterfall? Just curious. (No, it isn't required, just a detail I noticed on the original).

lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to add it - in fact, the capelet has a seam that runs down its middle - but as I was trying to stitch, I couldn't manage to make the fabric fall right for some reason. I reckon it could be because all that I had left of the 10 yards (yes 10 yards) Wasnt enough to properly cut the fabric (I don't know if this is making any sense, but I'm trying lol). It just won't fall right as it should have and I couldn't manage to make it look even with the other part. Meh, I don't know. I gave up for fear of ruining the fabric and I didn't have any more left, soooo... nope, it doesn't have the faggot stitch on the back.

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine. I was just curious. Smile It isn't required since you don't really see it.

I guess you are about ready to submit now?

lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Just working on the slippers and then all ready to submit!!
I want to cover a pair of random slippers with the same fabric of the dress and add pearls for decor

*fingers crossed*

~ UCOTR Member
~ RLGS Member
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, that sounds nice. Very Happy And the perfect way to ensure a match between slippers and gown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: