About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4198de7809a9212a6c9684246c33e2d1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Looking for 100% Cotton Orange Fabric
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Looking for 100% Cotton Orange Fabric Reply with quote

Confused: Looking for 100% cotton or high cotton content orange fabric for flightsuits.

:idea: Any ideas?

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Illd Saber ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check over at Honcock Fabrics web site shows

Kona Cotton Fabric Solids in Tangerine

Wendover Cotton Quilting Fabric (click on view swatches).

Now, my question: Do you have a pattern for a flight suit? If so, where did you get it because I want one.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is currently being worked out by another member. There may be a pattern available later as a result of the project.

This has been ongoing for about a year and a half since real life gets in the way of fun most of the time... I was advised to start looking for fabric.

Thanks for the leads!

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Theyrenotdolls ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil, i know of a couple of people who have been working on patterns as a long term project....i'm still not sure that modifying coveralls isnt easier. I just finished mine and it was a ton of work, but i think starting from scratch might be tougher....but then i dont have that much sewing experience...so there.

anyway..my question is this: why 100% cotton. surely that's not an accurate material for any kind of flightsuit made after 1960. not only that...but with all of the pockets...."differential shrinkage" (if i may make up a term) could end up being a problem.

just my 2creds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, the movie suits weren't flightsuits. they were either custom made, started out ar Racing suits (a theory I'm not sure was proved false or not) or were converted coveralls.

Remember that this suit was used for ALOT of costumes in ANH. The Tie Fighter Pilots, X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots, Imperial Techs (the light grey guys) X-Wing techs (same color) The black Imperial Techs (Not sure they were in ANH but if they were there lol) And even more people in other movies. (The Falcon Gunners wore the same suits)

I know it may be different, but look at the reference pics I posted in the Rebel Sympathizer catgory. Taken from the First Ewok Movie. MAce Towani wore an Orange Coverall with similar mods done to it, but the collar stayed more like the collay before conversion (it was open with another shirt under it) This does lead one to believe (if the costuming department used the same material for The kids costume as the pilot jumpsuits) that the movie ones were converted Coveralls.

Pics -

I have started workign on the second Ewok movie, but Mace is killed off pretty quickly. but it looks like the same jumpsuit.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth be known, I can only wear cotton. There are certain metals I can't wear either. This project that will get me a better fitting suit, and one made out of better materials for me. (May not be accurate, but more comfortable wink2 )

My current suit is a converted nylon Navy flightsuit. Coverall conversion is still, by far, the easier way to go!

The by product is the creation of accurate patters, in most sizes. I would be the "big model template" so to speak, but that is a long way off.

Ed, good reference shots! Thanks!

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
Theyrenotdolls ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife is allergic to metal alloys..especially nickel.
i certainly think it'd be a good idea to come up with a reliable pattern in a small variety of sizes XS-XXXL. i'm interested to know if anyone has an idea what the material may have been...what were '70s racing coveralls made of?
imo..this is one of the most revealing pics of the flightsuit...i forgot where i got this pic...but just found it in one of my folders. I used it as the main reference when modding my coveralls.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh....Reaper...sittng on the couch at home....tears in his eyes over the terrible plight that awaits Cindel and Mace...noo....not the GORAK!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyrenotdolls wrote:
heh....Reaper...sittng on the couch at home....tears in his eyes over the terrible plight that awaits Cindel and Mace...noo....not the GORAK!!!

LOL!!! I have no pitty for anyone who let's their blaster rifle run out of power while hunting for their parents. If ever there was a time to make sure it was charged and primed!!!
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it, I'm gonna' want to watch that again now! LOL!! Laughing

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, cotton was a preferred choice in flight and racing gear up to 70's.
Before nomex fire-proof fabric appears in early 70's, there was much concert about flammability and melting of syntetic fabrics for avators (and racemen, I suppose), in danger of aircraft fires/explosions in event of a crash.
Clothes were all cotton, some flightsuit dipped in borax and some fire-retardant solutions.

In Vietnam, the helicopter crews can't wear the light jungle boots (body with nylon) nor the wool/nylon cushoned socks commonly used by gound troops, and had to go with full black leather boots and old all-wool socks (this was also a problem, the old socks were no more in production).
This, as some crewman suffered severe burnings for jungle boots melted on flesh.

So, IF the SW suit was a pilot/racing suit, may be cotton or nomex, but hardly syntetic.
If the base was a simple coverall, or work suit, a mix fabric sound likely.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Theyrenotdolls ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds reasonable.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: FLIGHT SUIT PATTERN Reply with quote

I mentioned this in another thread on RL Forums: check out "Green Peppers". They have excellent flight suit patterns, especially for women. The patterns generally show a "flange" on the shoulders, but that's an "add-in" that can be left out. Very Happy :idea:
SiaLan Wezz (Eva Vanecek)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Flight suit pattern Reply with quote

I have drafted the flight suit pattern and will be making a prototype for myself in a near future. If anyone is interested. I am a pattern maker with 20 years of experience, FIDM graduate. I have redone Dale Tolosas suit from a store bought overalls and must say in the future I will not do that again. Too much work. It is easier to make one rather than alter the pockets on store bought one. Too time consuming.
Haru Windsong ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: FLIGHT SUIT Reply with quote

Check out my flight suit under the Pilots on this site, or go to my personal site:

www.caryconder.com

under "Gallery" "Costumes" "Star Wars"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: