Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c52b759506a74ffbf90ff78e72fae871Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New recruit in Rutherford, NJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michmalo (Michael Maloney)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: New recruit in Rutherford, NJ Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around for a while and figured I would introduce myself. I've been on the Astromech forum for years and recently finished my R2-D2.

I'm working on an X-Wing pilot uniform and I've made pretty good progress so far. I bought my Orange JumpSuit from Wampa Wear last year as well as a flak vest, I originally had bought one on Amazon only to find out it's not approvable but I wore it for Halloween before my WW one arrived. I have aluminum code cylinders I purchased a while ago. I purchased a Chest Box from DroidWelder, who has been very helpful with links and advice. I have my ejection harness, belt and leg flare holder already and I made belt flares from solid aluminum rods that I tooled down to the right size and rounded the ends, my leg flares I made from wood dowels and painted with a silver metallic paint and they look surprisingly metallic, all of that Droid building taught me a lot!

I had bought a resin Comm Pad a while back and thought it'd be cool to add some sounds to it so I used a sound chip and little speaker with some fun recordings from the OT, like "Lock S- foils in attach position" and "Echo 3 to Echo 7, Han old buddy do you read me?"

If I've read the requirements correctly the only thing that I'm still in need of is the proper height boots, I've found a few that are close on Amazon but I'm still looking, i don't love the idea of buying a brand new pair of boots and then cutting a buckle off but this might be the only way to go.

I'm probably going to be building one of DarthHairs helmets in the next few months so I may wait to try and get approval until AFTER I get the kit and build it.

We're having a Downhill Derby race in Rutherford on June 17th and I've built my son an XWing car based loosely on the Hot Wheels XWing car and he's going to be driving in his costume XWing pilots uniform so I may shoot to be in full uniform for the event and bring R2-D2 to it as well. I'll have to see where I am in R2 upgrades at the time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{crickets}... Hello?
Jananichole ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could help you out, I absolutely would. Hopefully someone can chime in. But welcome to the base!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jananichole wrote:
If I could help you out, I absolutely would. Hopefully someone can chime in. But welcome to the base!

Thank you!
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Echo Base and Hawkbat Squadron.

You really want to find something close to these surplus German Jackboots:

From the standard:

X-Wing pilot (Episode IV; VI), Y-Wing pilot (Episode IV):

2). Mid-calf black boots (Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable. Leather pull-on style preferred with low heels. No laces. No ankle buckles (small buckle at top edge of boot allowable if covered by blousing). No non-black zippers. Any zipper closure must either be hidden or on the inside calf. No zippers on front or outside calf of boots. High-Calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the flight suit legs.)

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two options that would probably work for boots.

The first is the funtasma boots. These aren't ideal because they do have a zipper, but the zipper is on the inside, so they should be approvable: https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Boots-Black-Pu-Mens-Large/dp/B001AH0NOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496084601&sr=8-1&keywords=funtasma+boot

These also aren't the best option because they have buckles on them, but if you cut the ankle strap, again the standards state that they're allowed to have the top buckle, although its not ideal. https://www.leatherup.com/p/Xelement-Biker-Boots/Classic-Motorcycle-Advanced-Engineer-Biker-Boot/41631.html
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazon pleather boot will last 2 maybe three troops and will need to be replaced, for the price I would not bother. There are leather boots out there that are better for around the same price.

These boots from Leather Up are too short.

There is NO Orange Mafia

Last edited by JediXXL (Gil Guemes) on Tue May 30, 2017 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:

These boots from Leather Up are too short.

Good to know, that's what I used for my RFT, figured pilots would be similar.

I know they make a taller version too, just don't have the link on hand, but if you look around In sure you can find something.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For around $60 you can find these: JACKBOOTS

I use Chippewa 27909, and have been wearing the same pair since 1998

There is NO Orange Mafia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone, I've seen a lot of these options and I've been warned to stay away from the Funtasma boots so I'm still looking. I think I have a couple of good options I just need to pull the trigger. I ordered my gloves and they should be here in the next week or so, hopefully I can find some boots that I like and maybe have my outfit complete sooner than I thought!

I definitely want to have my flight suit ready for the Downhill Derby which is coming up on June 17th, it looks like a lot of the boot options I'm finding are ready to ship so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in seeing my R2-D2 or the Derby car, I've started an album with some build pics and video that I'll be updating with my X-Wing Pilot flight suit pics as well. Feel free to check it out and leave me a comment. Thanks again!

Video of the car in action, still a WIP
http://vid58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/michmalo/IMG_9620_zpsokmutsk7.mp4

More album pics and video:
http://s58.photobucket.com/user/michmalo/library/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In re-reading through the Costume Standards for an X-Wing pilot I realized that the leg flare holder I picked up on eBay last year is NOT green, it's black. I'm going to have to find another source for a leg flare holder, maybe I'll be able to sell the one I have to offset the costs. If anyone has a good source for the proper olive drab green leg flare holder, please share. TIA.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michmalo wrote:

Video of the car in action, still a WIP
http://vid58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/michmalo/IMG_9620_zpsokmutsk7.mp4

More album pics and video:
http://s58.photobucket.com/user/michmalo/library/

Thumbs up

There is NO Orange Mafia
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New paint on the car... waiting for some vinyl Rebel alliance stickers and emblems to put on it.

https://vimeo.com/220359584
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet and I submitted my pics this weekend, hopefully I'll hear some good news and not have too much to change/modify.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Costume Build Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: