Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7bf8d8578cb02c5b19d1936c0807286fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey -- Keeping arm wraps in place?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PenguinCrossing (Jade)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Rey -- Keeping arm wraps in place? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I am wondering if anyone has any good advice on keeping Rey's arm wraps in place? They seem to start unraveling and slide off pretty quickly. Thank you!
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add a little hidden velcro at the top to keep it from unraveling. Maybe a few tiny pieces along the way to hold it in several places?

Or some double-sided tape (bra tape) to hold it in place.

ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI
Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
Legion Costume Judge
UCGR Detachment XO
Echo Base Captain
RakoHardeen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use boxing wraps. If you get the Mexican style, as they are slightly elastic.

Edrio Two Tubes - Approved
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used white sports compression sleeves under the arm wrap (I bought medical gauze "BOOTS", it's a UK brand) and tucked the top of wrap under the elastic of the sleeves. Then I used the metallic strap (sold with BOOTS wrap), to fix it on the bottom of the arm. It don't move a lot, I've just redone my wrap 1 or 2 times in convention. That's a tip that might work if you did bought medical gauze Smile

EDIT :

[/URL]

Last edited by gallica (laure) on Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a long lycra glove and cut fingers off and cut for length. put on your arm, do the wrap over it and then pin on the underside of your arm. carefully remove whole thing and then tack down at the pins only. this allows you to slide the wrap on and off, adjust the top as needed, and no wear and tear on the ends, and it does not slide off.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
WiliQueen (Valerie Meachum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding the sports compression sleeve recommendation, and I'm about 90% sure it's actually what they used on Daisy. I spotted what appeared to be a bit of tan knit at a slight gap in her wraps at one point.

I bought a pair of white ones and tea-dyed them. The big advantage I've found is that they have a silicon strip around the inside top and bottom edge to keep them in place. Tucking the ends of the gauze into the edge only takes up an inch or so of that.

On a related note -- I've gone through three sets of wraps (using basic 100% cotton medical gauze) because the stuff snags so easily, but I haven't found anything I like the look of as well. After going to the Power of Costume exhibit and confirming that they are a tighter weave than medical gauze, but not as lightweight as, say, the standard crinkle gauze from Joann (which is also very difficult to iron flat), I'm on the lookout for a flat gauze (preferably with undyed-cotton flecks) to switch to.

Nar Shaddaa Base: Rey ~ Mara Jade ~ Shalla Varee KJO
SkyHawk ()

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171971514065...r=470860811102
I use these. Dyed they look perfect and are sturdier than gauze and not uber expensive.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkyHawk: Your link isn't working, and I'm curious!

In the meantime, I decided to see how flat I could iron some crinkle gauze from my stash, and it's working out pretty well. They don't have as much give as the medical gauze, so getting them to wrap without gapping is a little tricky, but they stay put well once I get them wrapped and look great.

SkyHawk ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went back and found the working link! These were the closest to Boots bandages as far as I can tell. I believe another member here found them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171971514065?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-53200-19255-0%252F1%253Ftype%253D3%2526campId%253D5337682641%2526toolId%253D10001%2526customId%253Dj3dodheeyo013dvz00004%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fitm%25252F171971514065%2526srcrot%253D711-53200-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D1221091386247&ul_noapp=true
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! :-)

jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use compression sleeves under mine as well. I found a pair for about $9 on Amazon (brand name "The Elixir") that come in a light skin tone color (they have other colors too). They've held up well for me after about a year of use, and are stretchy enough that they should fit most sizes. I tuck my Boots brand gauze wraps into the top, wrap down to my wrist, and then tuck into the bottom of the compression sleeve, and everything pretty much stays in place all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: