Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2280c33bdc7ac272b92ed6087a6979bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Steve's wookiee Wip
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Steve's wookiee Wip Reply with quote

Ok so this is something ive wanted to do for over a year. I suggested it to my wife about 18 months ago and was met with a resounding "NO"! However I caught her in s good mood last week and she not only agreed to it but said she'd help Very Happy

So I've made a few enquiries and I've placed an order with Evil Chimp for a completed mask. Ive also ordered and received a BBB Full of Kanekalon hair. I went with the colours used by Evil Chimp on his masks to try and match his completed mask...Latrend #27, #8 #44 And Jazzy #44. So first question is do I need any more colours? Next question is what is the blend ratio?

The best mesh I can find over here is 5mm and I'm not sure if its right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111443052349

I've also found some 15" drywall stilts im 5ft 8 so wondered if these are any good? http://www.stelzen-shop.de/en/stilts-installoo-consumer-line/

Look forward to hearing your comments and advice.

Last edited by Buck10 () on Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is witched from those stilts to the Just stepper bucket style ones. When I got on the drywall stilts I couldn't keep my balance. Now that I'm walking in my Chewie I'm so just i switched.

Welcome to a long build. I'll be done for my comic-con next Saturday here in Phoneix, But I have 9 months of no life into mine.

Good Luck! Everyone is here to help!

"Life is an endless series of train-wrecks with only brief, commercial-like breaks of happiness."
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latch hook tools ordered. Duck tape ordered.

If those stilts are ok I want to fix some thick rubber to the underside of the small plastic feet I'm the shape of wookiee feet. Ive found some rubber sheeting with varying thickness and was thinking 10mm thick. With stilts, rubber, shoes that would put me at approx 7ft 1.

Does this sound ok?

Last edited by Buck10 () on Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Badbrad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wook head will add another couple of inches so you are looking at right about 7foot 3 or 4, sounds fine to me.
gato ()

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those stilts will work just fine. Just add some wood to the bottom to help stabilize you and make a cut where the flex is. It makes it easier to walk. I should take a pic of my stilt bottoms to show you what I mean. Then, add the foam or rubber mat that you plan to use for traction.

Mesh looks fine too.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gato wrote:
Those stilts will work just fine. Just add some wood to the bottom to help stabilize you and make a cut where the flex is. It makes it easier to walk. I should take a pic of my stilt bottoms to show you what I mean. Then, add the foam or rubber mat that you plan to use for traction.

Mesh looks fine too.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah a photo would be helpful if you could. Time to order more stuff Smile
gato ()

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom of WIP stilt

Side of foot:

Brackets built out of aluminum bar and knee pad to prevent the collapsed shin look:

Bottom of my other finished wookiee foot (not made by me):

My other Wookiee completed foot (not made by me):

Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for posting the photos. I see what you mean re the cut so that would give you a natural flex and make it easier to walk..

Ok, well stilts and mesh fabric ordered too, so when they arrive I can get started. In the meantime I'm picking up bits and pieces and reading wips non stop.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righr well my mesh fabric and stilts are here. Bit scary at first but after 10 minutes I was confident and walking reasonably quick. Problem is they seemed to want to lean out and I seemed to be walking on the outside of the feet. Is that a strap tightening issue?

gato ()

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck10 wrote:
Righr well my mesh fabric and stilts are here. Bit scary at first but after 10 minutes I was confident and walking reasonably quick. Problem is they seemed to want to lean out and I seemed to be walking on the outside of the feet. Is that a strap tightening issue?

It isnt a strap issue. You will need to adjust the knee area. I saw that part in the instruction manual with my set. You will feel a lot more confident once you attach some plywood to the bottom too.
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont do steppers. the bottoms of my stilts are a little different. I only have mesh from my foot to the bottom of my Chewie foot. That way the stilts still function normally.

Height as long as you make it over the minimal 7 ft then no issues. The mask will add some height to your overall height. You will need to know how tall you are going to be so you will know how long to make your feet. Proportions. the other thing will be combatting the foot bump and making sure the bag doesnt sink into your leg. Lastly is grooming. but that will come once you have everything and the proportions are correct

Wear the Hair!
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I should add something at this point....im no longer doing Chewie, this is now a generic wookiee build. I had a long hard think about it and I like the idea of doing my own style but still using the Chewie colours.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I've built wooden feet and attaches them to the stilts and used foam matting to build the foot up around the stilts feet. Going to use foam to hide the stilts bump today photos to follow.

Questions....where can I get wookiee feet in the UK? Does anyone 3d print them? Has anyone tried making them from expanding foam?
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anybody in the UK personally, but there are a few build threads where people have used foam sheets that are layers and cut to look like feet. I want to say that Yiyo's thread may be that way. I know he used gorilla costume parts to give the proper toe look. He is in Spain, so had the same issue you may be having with an economical way to making them. I think at least 1 person many have used expanding foam, but foam sheets seem to be the popular way to go if making them yourself and not trying to mold or anything.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouser wrote:
I don't know of anybody in the UK personally, but there are a few build threads where people have used foam sheets that are layers and cut to look like feet. I want to say that Yiyo's thread may be that way. I know he used gorilla costume parts to give the proper toe look. He is in Spain, so had the same issue you may be having with an economical way to making them. I think at least 1 person many have used expanding foam, but foam sheets seem to be the popular way to go if making them yourself and not trying to mold or anything.

Lol im not sure im skilled enough to carve feet. The expanding foam idea didnt work either. A waste of a day and a half Sad I cut wood feet, mounted em gaffer taped them up. Tried to add foam around the stilts but it was just too flimsy and I concluded the feet were too small in order to give a slope to my actual feet. So all dismantled....back to the drawing board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: