Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5ecd1682692a42331a9bf0ec37eb9b19Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Comprehensive Jedi Pattern
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peptidyl ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Comprehensive Jedi Pattern Reply with quote

Hello everyone! First of all I wanted to thank EeanLedgor for providing the basis on which these patterns are made. I'm new here but wanted to contribute and give back a little so I'm sharing this project. I took the base plans from EeanLedgor and have been digitizing them into a complete Jedi uniform that would be as accurate as possible. This includes details from the outer tunic lining to the pants so everyone can have access to a reliable pattern that is easy to just print off and work with. I'm placing the patterns so far on 36" X 48" paper that can easily be printed at any print shop. That's a pretty standard size. I'll be updating it as I go because I learn a lot of small things just by actually putting it together. I'll upload HighRes PDFs as I go.

__________________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: This is what you're here for:
Outer Tunic Pattern
Inner Tunic Pattern
Pants Pattern
Robe Pattern (It's big so it's in pieces that must be assembled)

These are ready for printing on 36" X 48" sheets of paper.
If you don't have access to a printer this size, any print store (e.g. Kinko's) will print it cheaply.

Note on the Inner Tunic: The "Inner Tunic Extension" piece is not necessary. I didn't include it on mine but if you wan't the Inner Tunic to tuck into your pants, then you'll need to add it to the front and back Inner Tunic Pieces at the bottom. The lengths match the front and back of the Inner Tunic and will simply extend it so it doesn't end at your waist. I did not do this on mine because the outfit is hot enough and the Outer Tunic obviously covers it.

Also, the pieces just labeled "Inner Tunic Collar" is to spare you from pleating a long stretch of material that won't be seen. You'll just fold and sew the pieces like is indicated and then attach them to either end of the pleated collar portion. Center the pleated collar on the tunic and just like that you only went through the pleating nightmare for what will be visible through the outer tunic.

The skirt will need adjusting based on the person.
Cut the Obi at an angle to the grain. The crinkles of the fabric should ascend to your right shoulder.

For detailed assembly instructions, here's a link to the original tutorial this is all based on.

Here's a link for detailed instructions on assembling the robe

FINISHED PRODUCT

__________________________________________________________________________________

I started this weekend. I finished the inner tunic. And Here's a link to the files I used for the entire Inner Tunic. It's ready for printing! Like I said, I want it to be very clear what the instructions are so everyone can follow along so I even included how I personally did the pleats. A note on the Inner Tunic, if you want to tuck it into the pants it will need to be long, but that's included in the pattern. The Outer Tunic will have a skirt but that's too much material for the Inner Tunic to tuck in personally so I went shorter. It's up to you.

The one catch is I'm currently studying medicine so I'll only be able to make big progress on the weekends but the material we're studying is quite emotionally trying and I find this to be very relaxing.

Again, any thoughts on this are welcome!

Last edited by peptidyl () on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 pm; edited 8 times in total
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the pattern for the Inner Tunic. It's ready for printing! Some things before you begin:
- This is designed for a 6' ~180lb person. You can scale the files accordingly when printing.
- All Seam Allowances are 5/8" unless specifically noted.

Tunic Instructions:
1. Pin the right sides of the Front Pieces to the Back Pieces, lining up the diamonds. Sew.
2. Iron the pleats as instructed. Make sure they're cleanly pressed. If you want, stitch or baste each pleat .5cm from the fold, it will help hold them in place better.
3. Iron the edge of the smaller Tunic Collar pieces as instructed. Pin the right sides of those to the larger collar piece and sew.
4. Match the full collar piece to the indicated square (on the back piece), right sides together. Pin and sew.
5. Line up the circle on the wide end of the sleeve piece with the seam on the shoulder (between front and back).
6. Finish the edge of the sleeves (I repeated my method for the smaller collar pieces).
7. Bunch the sleeves by folding it on itself 3 or 4 times until the sleeve length is appropriate. (For me it was 22")
8. Pin everything together from the bottom to the bunched sleeves and sew it.
9. The Sleeve will need altering because it should be snug around your rest.
10. Finish the bottom or extend it depending on your preference.
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I finally got around to putting everything together.
Here's the roughly assembled (but not finished) uniform from the patterns. I'm still having trouble with things bunching. The skirt gets sucked up above the obi and the right sleeve is difficult to press for some reason. It would be annoying to have to keep pulling it down so I'll think of a way to keep it down. The pants are really comfortable. I based them off a Kung Fu Uniform pattern I'll digitize. I'm also cheating and tacking down as much as possible. The tabbards are all tacked so they don't move around because the gauze fabric was a nightmare.

To create the "pinch" under the tabbards on the shoulders I actually used finishing tape to ensure the "pucker" stays.

I have a replica lightsaber (from saberforge) and just ordered some belt parts. I'll clean up the pattern and upload soon. I'll update the pictures when I get the the rest of the belt parts and boots.
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the Digitized Patterns for the Outer Tunic and Pants
Outer Tunic Pattern
Pants Pattern

The skirt will need adjusting based on the person. Cut the Obi at an angle to the grain. The crinkles of the fabric should ascend to your right shoulder.

I Fixed the sleeve issues. Also, here's a reference pictures for the way I did the tuck. I actually pulled off the finishing tape because my original method made the sleeves too short. Now it's just tacked with thread with the seam hidden.

I like having the tabbards tacked down so they won't move unpredictably. I also added clasps to some key areas of the collar so I don't have to worry about the "V" and the way the tunic is wrapped. I also secured the inner tunic with buttons.

Here's a close up the materials. I used the Fabric.com cotton gauze. It's okay. I actually ended up doubling the fabric (so tabbards are 4 layers, tunic is 3 with lining) because it's a little thin. A good trick I found though is hitting it with pure steam from the iron causes it to crinkle up.

I ordered some belt pieces (pouches, lightsaber clip, etc.). I'll update that if they're satisfactory.
Here's the Saberforge Lightsaber

Next up is the robe!
dannv ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the OT, with the basic square shape to the body, you don't need the flare into the underarm, it just adds more fabric. Otherwise you generally have what I draft for myself. Smile
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finished! I used this amazing tutorial for the robe.

Robe Pattern (It's big so it's in pieces that must be assembled)

Here is my finished uniform

This was a lot of fun and I feel like it's actually pretty accurate and I'm sure I'm not alone in being really grateful to EeanLedgor for supplying such great patterns! I'm honored that I could immortalize them digitally!
ibnjames ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks amazing. Great job!
jen0farc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so great! Well done!
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to take much more professional pictures of everything together. Here it is!
JohnstonMR (Michael Johnston)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for doing this. I'm engaged in a big weight-loss project and already planned on making a new outfit when I get to my goal, which is right around this size. This will make it so much easier!
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnstonMR wrote:
Thank you so much for doing this. I'm engaged in a big weight-loss project and already planned on making a new outfit when I get to my goal, which is right around this size. This will make it so much easier!

I'm glad I could help! Good luck with your weight-loss! I once lost a lot of weight and I know how hard yet rewarding it is. Let me know if I can help at all because some things are kind of tricky (especially tucking the shoulders and tacking down the tabbards so they won't move) and I can probably explain it better. Please post a picture when you're done!
PDelahanty (Patrick Delahanty)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try making this using your patterns. (I'm 6'6", so some adjustment will obviously be necessary.)

I have a question though... I've started cutting out the pattern pieces for the inner tunic. What's the "Inner Tunic Extension" and where does it go? I see it has cut lines for the back and front, but I'm not sure what those refer to.
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDelahanty wrote:
What's the "Inner Tunic Extension" and where does it go?

Sorry for getting back to you late on this! First of all. It is not necessary. If you want the Inner Tunic to extend past your belly button you can sew it along the bottom of the rest of the tunic once it's been assembled. It's basically a piece that would allow you to tuck in the Inner Tunic. I didn't do it on mine personally. The pictures included above are how it turns out without it.
PDelahanty (Patrick Delahanty)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay. Thanks! Smile
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on the shoulder tuck:
I received a couple questions about the shoulder tuck under the tabbard so I'll explain the way I did it more clearly.

1. You'll need help or a mannequin. Put on the Outer Tunic and wrap it how you'd normally wear it.
    2. You or somebody else should take the seam where the shoulder meets the sleeves and tuck it. The seam should rest at the back of the shoulder tuck. Hide the seam is far back as you can while balancing both appropriate sleeve length and where the tuck rests nicely just past your shoulders (don't forget the tabbard will be up there too).
    3. If you have the tabbards made, lay them where they will sit.
    4. Now, with a single piece of thread, tack the tuck to the tabbards. I mean run the thread as deep in the shoulder tuck as possible and also include AT LEAST one layer of the tabbard. You've now made a system where the tabbard is anchored on your shoulder so you don't need to think about it sliding when you walk around and the tuck is now anchored down and hiding the seam.
    5. Do this at least two more place in front and behind your shoulder.
    6. This is probably the most important step. IRON THIS. The tuck won't look finished unless you iron it down. Ironing alone will really make a difference and help it retain its shape.

That probably wasn't super clear but if you have any more specific questions I'll be happy to answer them.[/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: