Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fb68a172f779c8be1c7c09aaa5fe141aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Numa WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Rebels Numa WIP Reply with quote

Hey all! I've got a thread going over on the Elstree Base forum, but I thought I might copy things over to the global forum!

After going off on a bit of a spiral I have apparently decided that before I dive in with Rebels!Bo Katan (wherever she may fall) I'm going to try to get a Rebels Numa done. All of the twi'leks! I also feel like keeping things very localised with Rebels, what with us coming up to the show's end and it being my especial love. Going to celebrate it for as long as I can.

I don't think that there are any standards for Numa yet. There were at least three Numa's at SWCO but I didn't get the chance to talk to them or find out if they were Rebel Legion/cleared.

In theory this should be relatively straight forward. I've already got lekku ready to go from when i made up my Hera pair (I made three or four pairs in one go.) They are the fuller Hera shape, but i can adapt my cap shape so that they sit closer together so the framing effect is lessened.

I have a bundle (a very large bundle from who knows where) of gorgeous black leather that should serve as her undercap, wrappings plus her glove. I'll probably get started on this first as I already have the materials to hand. Then I'll source then either print or paint a flat weave cotton for her kerchief.

For her trousers I will adapt my Hera flightsuit pattern as the overall shape is very similar: shorten it to knee-length, use a basic waistband and add inset pockets along with the necessary applique 'patches'.

A rollneck I might make just so I have the satisfaction of knowing I made the costume in full. It's a simple enough thing.

The chestpiece I might form out of either foamex or regular foam and then cover in leather or vinyl, I'll decided further down the line. For Boil's armour pieces, I'll commandeer the armour materials i've got coming for Bo Katan and have a go at making them myself. I've only ever done foam and Worbla armour before, so effectively this will be a dry run for Bo. It seems unreasonable and costly to get a kit for just an arm and belt.

Boots I'll source. I may cover them entirely to get the correct smoothness and detail, plus to match the footguard but we will see.

I have just ordered body paint because why do things in a sensible order? Sticking with Kryolan Aquacolour - I used Mac Chromacake for Hera, which is actually made for them by Kryolan (then obviously sold at a nonsense premium - that exact shade is sold by Kryolan proper in the US, but not in the UK.) I was ridiculously impressed with how my make-up stayed on in Orlando for 12+ hours after I perfected the methodology after my first troop. I really don't enjoy alcohol-based make-up, and I see no reason to change things up. I also ordered some violet contact lenses whilst I was at it.

So.. there we go! I'll hopefully get started on the cap tomorrow, and then see how things go. This will be a much slower build than Hera as there is more going on, but hopefully will be as successful![/img]
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of update, which is unsurprising as we started shooting yesterday with a delightful 4am call (which meant getting up at 2.30am, and discovering that my car's batter was dead at 3am, YAY) so everything has been mad at work. Plus my post-Celebration fatigue is, as expected, on-going and will be for a good long while. BUT! Numa has begun!

After wrapping at lunchtime yesterday (aka 10.30am), I managed to get in some fabric shopping. Numa's soft-parts are pretty much covered: a beige heavy cotton twill for her trousers and a dense jersey for her rollneck, and a gorgeous Japanese double cotton possible option for her kerchief, though I still need to work out if i'm going to print, paint or bleach out the pattern. (While at it I picked up some more cotton to rework Hera's shirt - the collar is an on-going disaster - and a heavy grey cotton option for Hera's General coat as seen in the Freemaker's.) I also nipped down to Kryolan and picked up a darker blue body paint for the base of Numa's lekku.

(sorry for the instagram shot, all the fabric is currently drying after being washed.)

Unfortunately my headstand is, as you can see below, not in a happy state. I would have swapped it out with one of my others but it is the only one padded out to my measurements. I pinned another pair of my Hera-style lekku, wrapped a load of clinfilm and tape to keep things in place and started draping Numa's base cap.

Originally I had been thinking I would just tweak Hera's flightcap pattern, but decided it would have taken almost as much effort: The central panel is much wider and squarer at the front, and then very very narrow at the root of the lekku. There are no earpieces. The lekku 'sleeves' are plain and just 1.5" deep as they're just to keep things in place. The whole thing is much more squared off that Hera's, and there is also more head coverage and a tighter fit as Numa has no chin-strap. I'm hoping that I've taken enough care with the fit to keep it on my head!

I used a black lamb nappa backed (but not bonded) with calico for the cap. The central panel is, like Hera's, quilted with two layers of calico sandwiching some thinned out wadding and then the leather. I also added interfacing at the narrowest point to reinforce where the majority of the lekku weight will sit.

That central panel I tried to make wider so that the seams would sit right on the squared out corners and that entire width could be quilted, but the fit would have then been jeapordised and i didn't want to started adding even more panels. Hopefully this is a minor enough detail to be overlooked.

And Fin! In the pictures the left-hand lekk is trying to fall out of the cap - at some point when I made them the foam at the root was flattened while setting. I htink that I will go ahead and make new Numa specific lekku as hers sit much lower and flatter at the root than Hera's. They are also much straighter, hanging neatly behind her rather than the full sweetheart framing effect of Hera's. But I think, for now, I'll concentrate on the other costume elements. I'm hoping to get her trousers bashed out next weekend, pending any more hideous 2.30am starts!
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sounds interesting and beginning is very promising ! Please keep us updated Smile
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rather than bombing through with the soft parts as I expected/planned, I ended up charging ahead with a new set of lekku. Unfortunately I got dragged back into work both days this weekend so I haven't managed a complete pull, but not so far off!

For the sculpt I took a slightly different take on the method I used for Hera's lekku (which were essentially made of stuff lying around - modelling wire, paper, air-drying clay.)

First up I marked out the lekku sleeves on my headform, and measured them. Marking them out wasn't really essential given the lekku will be two separate pieces, but as Numa's lekku sit so low it was a useful step for the shape.

Using cardstock I roughed out the lekku shape, making a card core/guide. Numa's lekku are pretty long - about mid-bum length - and they look even longer because they're so straight.

The card frame was then coated in expanding foam, then carved down to shape once cured used the card as a guideline.

Once cut down and given a rough sanding, the form was covered in plasteline. Because i was knackered I just slapped the clay on to get it covered then went back in today to smooth it out. As they're going to be worn with a cap/separated, I didn't really fuss over getting things clean over the scalp. I'm a little concerned about the size of the lekku proportionally, but as they are they will fit the flat cap and appear to be appropriately wider than Hera's. If it turns out that they are too big after the first pull, I'll alter my sculpt. If they're just too long, I can shorten them at the root. In theory, though, they should be fine. We'll see! (My headform is in a slooooow state of collapse, held together with gaffer tape and clingfilm and hope, which is why it's at such an angle. That makes it really hard to judge the shape and proportion in pictures.)

I'm currently two layers of latex in. Coat the entire form in liquid latex using sponge brushes; by the time I finish one layer the head of the form is usually dry enough for another, so I tend to go back over it until the brush is dry or that portion of latex runs out. In between layers dust the whole thing with talcum powder as this strengthens the latex. I can't remember exactly how many layers I did on Hera - anywhere between 10 and 25 - so I'll just keep going when I have time until I'm happy.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of a lot of questions about my Hera lekku, so I'm trying to keep things as clear and helpful this time!

Again, not a whole lot of progress, but the lekku are done!

I ended up doing around 12 layers of latex - I could have maybe stopped at 10 layers, but I wanted to be safe. I dusted the whole thing again with talcum powder then started peeling the latex off bit by bit, dusting the newly exposed latex as I went to stop it from sticking to itself.

Once the latex was fully removed, I turned it inside out and made sure it was entirely coated in talc. Then i filled it with around an inch and a half of rice at the tip, polyballs to around half way up the widest part of the lekku, then wadding to about an inch away from the root. The final part will be filled with expanding foam, but I need to go get some today! This, however, was enough to check the size and length of the lekku and do a quick test fit with the cap.

Happiness! The length is spot on, the width is pretty much perfect and they should hang more orless perfectly behind me once they're stabilised with the expanding foam.

Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just watched s01e20 of Clone Wars and realized it is the same little girl ! even more cool project Smile

Nice lekkus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: