Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=840373d50879b8aae0c404989932a7daMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Han Solo, first time building a costume for the RL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyLoggins (Richard)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: WIP Han Solo, first time building a costume for the RL Reply with quote

Hey Rebel Legion, I'm working on Han Solo, and this is the first costume I feel really serious about trying to apply with. I still have a few things to do, like repaint the blaster and get the three pronged belt, but aside from that, how does it look? I'm in the AZ area, so I'll be wearing this to Phoenix Comicon in a couple weeks.
http://i.imgur.com/XWnXYXf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o1zRLFs.jpg
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't look like Kenny Loggins Laughing

If I were you, I'd improve the holster, and try to stiff or harden the boots' calves.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the pin tuck and riding seam.

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-iv/
KennyLoggins (Richard)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Don't forget about the pin tuck and riding seam.

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-iv/

Ooh I forgot about the pin tuck! Riding seam is definitely there though.
KennyLoggins (Richard)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:

If I were you, I'd improve the holster, and try to stiff or harden the boots' calves.

Just got the boots in yesterday, so I've only polished them so far. How would you go about stiffening the leather?
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KennyLoggins wrote:
Joe Solo wrote:

Just got the boots in yesterday, so I've only polished them so far. How would you go about stiffening the leather?

Maybe glueing some hard leather or cardboard in the inside of the boot... I'm thinking aloud...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tailor that shirt and pants. The pants are pretty baggy for my taste.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea for boots: get some stiff vinyl on sale at Joanns with a coupon. With some spray adhesive, you could stiffen the boot cuffs that way. And it wouldn't really matter what color you get since it won't be visible anyway.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the RL KennyLoggins!! You're off to a great start here!!

Everyone has hit on the big things here: pintuck, riding seam, etc. I would agree, the pants definitely need to taken in. They're too baggy. They need to have a very "fitted" look to them (the ladies will love you for it! Cool )

You also need to get hold of the correct belt tools-you're missing the two little white relay boxes, and the cylinder is actually shorter than a standard CO2 cylinder and it's green, not silver.

The boots, while not the greatest, do appear to be approvable. At the very least, they are tall enough and zipperless, so I've certainly seen worse...

It's hard to see from the pictures what the pockets look like on the vest, or if all the necessary pockets are present. Same with the blaster. Without seeing specific pictures of the blaster, can't really tell how approvable it is.

As mentioned by others...that gun rig is going to be an issue. There are several inaccuracies/problems with it that would need to be addressed in order to get it to approvable standards. We see a lot of these come through, unfortunately, and I always hate to see people spend the money on them. It can be made approvable, but only with a lot of work and even then, the underlying quality of the belt makes it really not worth it. It's kind of like putting perfume on a pig...

I'll look for you at PCC in a couple of weeks and see if we can get a closer look...

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: