Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ffa4622e5545b005f2cf92a5fe62fd1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New wookiee in the wrockies......or is it a Sasquatch......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougie Fett ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the mask....Fudge Cement, nothing else even comes close.

Hairspray is useless especially aerosol based ones, you need spritzer type hairspray that soaks into the hair, Fudge Cement being the best on the market!
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:
For the mask....Fudge Cement, nothing else even comes close.

Hairspray is useless especially aerosol based ones, you need spritzer type hairspray that soaks into the hair, Fudge Cement being the best on the market!

Great thanks Dougie. To get the hair in place I was thinking I could wet it up, then put some dax hair wax on there and once things are sitting right hit it with fudge cement. I ordered it a while back but haven't used it yet. what do you think?
Here are pics of the sagging eye hair:

and the hair wax

Just don't want to screw it up Smile
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from one of your local 501st member. The Badlands Garrison here in Alberta and a beginning wookiee maker.

Here in Alberta, as in many other areas, the RL and the 501st troop a lot together. Most of the troops are arranged on the Badlands forum which might be why you aren't getting too much of a response on the RL forum.

I assume you will be attending the Calgary expo again this year? You should come to the 501st booth and say howdy.

I am the OX of the Garrison my name is Denise so see if I am there. I can drill you with questions as I am just starting my wookiee build. You can also ask to talk to Shawn. Shawn is the CO of the local RL.

We only have one active Chewie in Alberta and he is down for repairs right now so it will be awesome to have another one.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Denise
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bear wrote:
Hello from one of your local 501st member. The Badlands Garrison here in Alberta and a beginning wookiee maker.

Here in Alberta, as in many other areas, the RL and the 501st troop a lot together. Most of the troops are arranged on the Badlands forum which might be why you aren't getting too much of a response on the RL forum.

I assume you will be attending the Calgary expo again this year? You should come to the 501st booth and say howdy.

I am the OX of the Garrison my name is Denise so see if I am there. I can drill you with questions as I am just starting my wookiee build. You can also ask to talk to Shawn. Shawn is the CO of the local RL.

We only have one active Chewie in Alberta and he is down for repairs right now so it will be awesome to have another one.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Denise

Hi Denise!
Thanks for making contact. I wasn't sure if it was due to me not having an approved wookie yet that I Hadn't got any response. I totally understand as there are a lot of casual Star Wars fans out there too and you want to keep a certain standard in the garrison!

Would love to connect with you at the expo. Happy to talk about wookie building. I am planning to do the POW parade again. My 2 kids and wife will be going as jyn, Han Solo and Rey. We had a blast last year. We made some ewok costumes for the event which turned out great, but probably not quite to costuming standards of the RL Wink. We will see how walking around in stilts will go!

I am attending the expo on Saturday so would love to connect if you're around. I will hopefully have chewie done and hopefully approved by then. Not sure if you need a wookie at your booth for a few hours by happy to help out if you need. Not sure how it all, works if it is just 501st there or if you let rebel scum in too.

I popped by the booth last year but it was kind of awkward to talk in the chewie suit. Tried to talk to someone green but think they thought I was creepy. Didn't take the mask off while I was there as there were kids around and I am a fan of not spooling the illusion.

Anyway pm me if you want to connect.

Cheers
Shane
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Just read the Calgary Expo's FAQ and states in there that painters stilts are banned from the Expo. Very bummer since I suppose the skywalker stilts I have are classified as painters stilts. Has anyone else had these issues at other cons? How strict is Calgary going to be if I show up with my stilts. It doesn't mention no stilts at the parade though and I am sure I have seen other costumers with stilts at least at the parade.
Crap!

So went back and took a look at my lifts as a backup pair of feet. I might end up with 2 setups for feet. Have the stilts for when I want height and have lower platforms for when I want to interact or are in tighter quaters.

Here are my platforms in original configuration:

After looking at them I cut them so the toe end is too far from the ground and they are too narrow laterally. So the pal was to fix the toes and add a bit of a flatness to the lateral and front of the foot. So todays effort:

I cut wedges out to fill in the underside of the toe area. I also laminated another layer of pink foam on the outside or lateral part of the lifts.

i then shaped them. nearly there but want to drop the line laterally so there is a foot width at the base. Plan to cover the foot bump with some old hockey pads that I am rigging up to be compatible with both these feet and my stils.

Test fit on the stilts:

I probably should just put it all together with the completed stilts and get my costume approved. Any comments on if you think it is ready??

My wife thinks I'm obsessed by the way Wink
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat ideal to deal with your foot bump. I used a pool noodle in a boot sock and tuck them in my toe and shin straps makes it a bit lighter. keep up the great work

Wear the Hair!
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane,

Both Calgary and Edmonton expos are quite sticklers with regards to the stilt thing.Usually they are more lenient with the wookies that are working in the 501st booth.

We have the RL and the Mercs work the booth at both expos. We all get along.

As you will not have a 501st exhibitor pass you should probably wear your shoe lifts not your stilts. But wow you have my respect if you are going to walk the parade in stilts. Please be careful of the rough roadway!
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a parade in my stilts.....it seems odd there would be a restriction on you wearing stilts.

Wear the Hair!
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bear wrote:
Shane,

Both Calgary and Edmonton expos are quite sticklers with regards to the stilt thing.Usually they are more lenient with the wookies that are working in the 501st booth.

We have the RL and the Mercs work the booth at both expos. We all get along.

As you will not have a 501st exhibitor pass you should probably wear your shoe lifts not your stilts. But wow you have my respect if you are going to walk the parade in stilts. Please be careful of the rough roadway!

Ok thanks for the info. Ill definitely be poping by the booth to say hi Smile I imagine to have a 501st exhibitors badge you would need to be a 501st member and you guys probably have some kind of advanced sign up to work the booth correct? My costume isn't approved yet but think it would be a formality. My only issue is if I don't have my lifts haired up for the expo.

I put all that work into the stilts too and bummer I cant "legally" use them on the showroom floor.

mattcamaro wrote:
I have done a parade in my stilts.....it seems odd there would be a restriction on you wearing stilts.

Yup I agree. It is written pretty clearly here in the FAQ section: https://calgaryexpo.com/about/faq/
"Can I wear painter’s stilts as part of my costume?
Unfortunately, no. There are liability issues that prevent stilts from being worn on the show floor."
It does say the show room floor though so perhaps the parade and outside the showroom is ok.

Looks like other cons are concerned at least. San deago comicon:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/convention-policies
"Costumes featuring stilts must be approved at the Costume Props Desk."
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little more work on my wookie tonight.

Glued and taped my foot bump solution:

Also I didnt hair up the bttom portion of my shirt so went back and filled that in. Was ok last year when I didnt have stilts/lifts but this year I have to have my pants ride lower so shows the gap. You can probably see mesh a few posts back.

And final product came out pretty good:

Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Shanemun"]
Big Bear wrote:
Shane,

Ok thanks for the info. Ill definitely be poping by the booth to say hi Smile I imagine to have a 501st exhibitors badge you would need to be a 501st member and you guys probably have some kind of advanced sign up to work the booth correct? My costume isn't approved yet but think it would be a formality. My only issue is if I don't have my lifts haired up for the expo.
"

Hello again. The RL and Mercs get passes (we all pay for them) as well but you are right when you say that we had advanced sign up. That was a month ago and passes have already been paid for.

There is always the Edmonton Expo in September. that is a good one as well.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered dying your mesh black with iDye Poly? Mine is white and I always find myself wishing it wasn't. Keep up the progress photos! Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:
Have you considered dying your mesh black with iDye Poly? Mine is white and I always find myself wishing it wasn't. Keep up the progress photos! Smile

So being the true rookie at all this when I started, I got white fabric too. I dyed the fabric a flesh tone. I certainly wouldnt recommend it as it still shows through. Yes wish it was black but thought it was too late. Would you attack dying it from the inside? i wonder if you would get enough penetration without making too much of a mess to the hair.

Love the fabric I have though. It os stretchy which isnt probably the best for hooking but super comfortable and you can snug the suite to fit nicely.
Shanemun (Shane)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so worked on my feet a bunch again. Decided that I would have 2 sets of feet. one with stilts and a set of platforms. This is because it looks like I cant wear stilts to afew expos.

Here is the final shape of my platforms. Glued my boots to the platforms. did you know that E600 glue and its brother eats up the pink insulation foam? My shoes melted into the foam after I glued them!

Now duct taping it all together with gorilla tape.

Now installing strong magnets into the lifts so that my pant bottim attaches to the boot. I just duct taped one later of tape over the magnet to attach it to the boot.

This is with the magnet I am sewing to the bottom of my pants just attached for show:

Now meshed up:

And first lift done:

now both done and test fitting. Once toes are installed I dont think I will need my foot bump solution for these. Thoughts?

Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern on your feet would be that, once toes are added, they will be disproportionately large/long. This does depend on your length of toes and the angle of your photo (for example, the top photo of your setup looks great! Proportionate and lacking in bump, but the lower one makes your feet seem oversized and blocky) This is an issue a lot of folks run into and can be fixed. I'm also worried about your safety. How easily can you walk in those without rolling an ankle? Have you tried walking around for an extended time period in them? Here to help if you need! Smile Keep on going! You're getting a great start!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: