Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12632e94171881f822dd1a936183ba3bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Generic Jedi Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mysterious Stranger ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: My Generic Jedi Build Reply with quote

One of the blessings of marrying a woman who can sew is that she'll make you a Jedi costume if you ask her really nicely (and promise her cookies). So a few years ago my lovely wife made me this Green Lantern Jedi mashup costume. I figured at the time if I was going to make a Jedi I wanted it to be something that was unique and that I would wear often. If I got into joining a club later on then great, but I wanted a fun costume first. So here it is as it stands right now.

I have a light green robe for it too but I believe that shot was taken before we went to Comicaze in Downtown L.A. and I didn't want to drag the robe on the Metro.

Anyway, after a few years and costumes later we both joined the Mandalorian Mercs (earlier this year actually). And we have really enjoyed the few troops we've been on. At our most recent troop this past weekend at LBCE I spoke to the Sunrider Base Jedi Temple Master and was convinced to join the Rebel Legion and Jedi Order.

So here I am, with my (not approvable for membership) Green Lantern Jedi costume, looking for some guidance to making it a RL approvable costume. I know first off that all of the Green Lantern symbols have to go. No problem there. My wife has offered to sew me some new tabbards and I was planning to get some better gauntlets too.

Aside from the GL symbols, I have a few other questions.

First is my color combination is okay. The under tunic is the same dark green as the tabbards and the outer tunic is a light beige. The belt and boots are brown. Pants are a dark hunter green (Dickies work pants, all pockets are hidden).

My boots are these Funtasma boots with the spats removed. Are they okay? Do I need to do anything to hide the zipper?

This is my lightsaber. The GL ring has been removed from the activation button but the Power Battery crystal is still installed. Its easily removable though so as long as I remember to take it out before an official troop I should be okay, right?

And this is the belt and pouches I'm currently using. Are they good or should I plan to build a new set?

I didn't see anything in the CRLs about a realistic Jedi General. Something along the lines of the Sideshow Clone Wars Obi-wan. Is that something that's allowed? I want to have that armored Jedi look but the animated style just doesn't work for me. And I'd keep it at the armor level I have now, just gauntlets and hand plates. I just don't want to fork over the money for a set of Clone Trooper gauntlets and hand plates if I won't be able to troop with them.

I'll try to take some better photos of my softgoods tonight to get some feedback.

Last edited by Mysterious Stranger () on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

It sounds like you already have a good grasp of what needs to be done. Smile And yes, the jedi generals are generally done in a realistic style, as it's very hard to do the animated style with fabrics. Fabrics want to look realistic. Razz

Just keep an eye on the jedi general standard and I think you should get there without problems.

(Inside zippers are not a problem).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mysterious Stranger ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I should clarify my Jedi General question. When I said realistic style I meant movie style for the armor as opposed to the Clone Wars style armor. Is movie style armor allowed? Again, just the gauntlets and hand plates.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the funtasma boots are OK. lightsaber is OK. tunic colors are OK. belt is.. acceptable. Wink

I'm not sure what the standards say about hand gauntlets.
but everything else looks good.

(you might want to submit it both ways: with and without hand gauntlets.
that way, you've got 2 separate costumes in your profile: one with, and one without).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks cool =]
blitz1027 (Zadok)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a discussion regarding the standard for Jedi general to allow realistic armor. As of right now it only covers animated. Currently if you want to go with Jedi general you will have to go with animated style gauntlets. Your colors look good and your saber is good. Your belt is okay minus what appears to be the green lantern logo buckle. That would need to be changed.

Also something I notice that may only be because of the angle of the pic you posted. Your tunic appears to be rather short. A generic jedi tunic should at minimum cover the butt and crotch. If you're going jedi general it should be knee length.

Hope that helps. I look forward to seeing your progress

Clone Pilot, Swoop. Formal
Generic Jedi, Dyza. Formal
Mysterious Stranger ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some better pics of my GL Jedi from Wondercon earler this month.

The obi and belt were riding a little high in tha back after walking around for a couple hours. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little velcro to keep everything in place.
Leroni (Leroni)
Lothal Base XO
Lothal Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

I realy like the outfit!
Wonderful colours, very nice bracers, great sewing-work.

maybe the tunic will be a little bit to short for the costume judges.

yours
Leroni
Wretched Hive Detachment Merchandise Officer 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice. Smile The Green Lantern symbols is, of course, not approvable, but it's a nice costume to have for fun.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mysterious Stranger ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sewing was all my lovely wife. She's working on her Jedi now.

Yeah I know the GL symbols have to go to be approvable. I'm debating now whether to (ask my wife to) make new tabbards or try to remove the GL patch. I'll most likely be doing a new outer tunic, in a green to match the rest, as the ends of the sleeves have been stained green from the paint on the gauntlets.

I also need to glue the straps down on the boots so they aren't floppy. And do the same with the thin belt on the belt.

Any other things I should be looking at? Are the lengths and fit okay on the robes, etc?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Leroni mentioned the tunic lenght, but if you are making a new tunic then your wife can easily make it a bit longer. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: