Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1f43ded8bce9a61871253ae01f3d21fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helmet advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heathdwilliams (Heath)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Helmet advice Reply with quote

Hi, y'all!

After a couple of years of lusting after other folks' costumes I've seen around, I made the decision while at Celebration this year that it's past time for me to go ahead and do my own.

I want to tackle the helmet first. I'm thinking it'll likely also be a display piece for me when I'm not wearing it.

Here's where I need your advice: as someone who has never made a costume before and doesn't consider himself to be particularly crafty, how difficult are kits like Darth Hair's to put together? I think it'd make for a fun project and think I'd feel good wearing around something I made myself, but I'm also afraid of spending the money for the kit only to completely mess it up.

Thanks for your help (on this, and all of the other pieces to come) in advance!
Ravenkeeper (Marlin Derk)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to find out, I just got my helmet from Darth Hair. It does not look too hard. Other than some ABS cement, CA Glue with a few rivets, not too involved. Have you checked out his tutorials for putting his kits together on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D49P5tBmGNY

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDarthhair/videos

He will also assemble the kit for you as well for an additional fee if you don't feel the confidence to tackle yet yourself.
Ami-Lyn Kel (Amy Kelly)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Darth Hair's helmet kit! I had the tools here, so I just bought the kit itself and was tickled with how well it turned out. Very Happy
heathdwilliams (Heath)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ami-Lyn Kel wrote:
I loved Darth Hair's helmet kit! I had the tools here, so I just bought the kit itself and was tickled with how well it turned out. Very Happy

Do you mind me asking what tools you ended up using? It seemed like in the tutorials, some of the tools he used seemed not entirely necessary. I really don't have much of anything, so if I'm going to need to make a ton of additional purchases on tools, I might as well just buy the completed helmet. But also, if they're tools I'll need for the rest of the costume, maybe it's an investment I need to make anyway?
Ami-Lyn Kel (Amy Kelly)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clamps, definitely. You'll need several of those and in different sizes.

The kit came with some kind of bolts or something, but I didn't have the right kind of tool to flatten out the ends of the bolt things, so I used some same-sized screws and nuts we already had here.

Some scissors, because I trimmed the interior foam.

A screwdriver for the visor.

A wire cutter to shorten the mic wire.

I think that was about it.
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built and painted probably a dozen of his kits and they are very simple. I reiterate clamps, definitely. They help when putting the inner mohawk together. Watch his youtube tutorials before you do anything. Good luck!

Outlaw10 by Birgle38, on Flickr
heathdwilliams (Heath)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's the painting that really has me worried. I have literally zero artistic skills of any kind.
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to painting, it's all about the tape. Based on your design, you tape off one color at a time. I.E. tape off all the white parts first, spray with color A, tape off color A, spray color B, etc. Eventually, your helmet will be a big ball of tape, but when you unwrap it, viola! Use piping tape from the automotive store for pinstripping. It's WAY easier than painting perfect lines. Use regular painter's tape for large areas, and electric tape for curves, like the ram horns. The electric tape will leave a residue, but a little isopropyl alcohol will clean it up without damaging the paint. Then add decals and clear coat it. You'll have a nice shiny "new" helmet. Next you can dirty it. There's the wash technique which Darthhair also has a video tutorial. I like to drybrush acrylic paint, greyish brown, then sand it off before it fully dries. Plus mist it with bron and grey spray paint. It gives the effect of a helmet that someone tried to clean. Do all of this BEFORE installing your visor and dome. Hope that helps!

heathdwilliams (Heath)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually super helpful and makes me think I can definitely do it since my design is so simple.
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should probably mention, always use matte spray paint. If you paint over gloss the top layer will crack and peel, even if it's primer. Use crystal clear when you're done painting the design. Then dirty away. I find having a little bit of shine peaking through the dirt gives the helmet depth and enhances the age, like at one point it was clean and new.

heathdwilliams (Heath)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just submitted my order for Darth Hair's Builder's Kit. I imagine I'll have many more questions once that arrives, but step 1 is complete!
Ravenkeeper (Marlin Derk)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to show you how my darth Hair kit is turning out, so far I am pleased>

Trick I found, test fit, test fit, test fit before cement, know how you are going to put it together.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base CO
Takodana Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenkeeper wrote:

Trick I found, test fit, test fit, test fit before cement, know how you are going to put it together.

I love the green. Totally agree on test fits. It is always good to ensure things don't get too tight.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Assistant Rebel Legion Webmaster
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Have fun with the dirt. A good way to test if your helmet is dirty enough is to take pictures. Helmets look surprisingly cleaner in pictures than they do in real life, and one never wants to say, "It looks better in real life." For me, I have yet to make a helmet and think I've over done the dirt. Dirtier the better! And take a razor to make all the scratches in your paint job, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: