Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c8c361e0dbafe8b353d8bc81a40cb22Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Tunic Tutorials (plus tabards/obi), by EeanLedgor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armageddon42388 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes perfect sense! The less sewing needed the better, I say!
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! First of all I wanted to thank you for providing this incredible information. I'm new here but wanted to contribute and give back a little so I'm sharing this project. I've been taking the plans you provided and digitizing them into a complete Jedi uniform that would be as accurate as possible. This includes details from the outer tunic lining to the pants so everyone can have access to a reliable pattern that is easy to just print off and work with. I've placed the patterns so far on 36" X 48" paper that can easily be printed at any print shop. That's a pretty standard size. I'll be updating it as I go because I learn a lot of small things just by actually putting it together.
Here's a sample of the pattern:

Here's a sample of the pattern. If there's interest in this I'll upload the high-res PDFs for printing. I started yesterday. I finished the inner tunic. And Here's an example of the pattern for the collar. Like I said, I want it to be very clear what the instructions are so everyone can follow along.

Also, if there it would be more appropriate to start a new threat let me know, I just didn't want to take credit for something that isn't mine at all, just a combination of other peoples efforts. The other catch is I'm currently studying medicine so I'll only be able to make big progress on the weekends but the material we're studying is quite emotionally trying and I find this to be very relaxing.

Again, any thoughts on this are welcome!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great addition! Thank you for your hard work Very Happy

I would suggest starting a new thread with the links to the files. You may link to this thread for the instructions for assembly.

And...I'll mention that there's a few things I've changed with the pattern. Just to hit the highlights:
1. I slope the shoulder of the OT.
2. I've made a new inner tunic, using a scrub top as the base pattern.
3. I still have the OT pattern in two pieces (top and skirt), but only cut one piece of fabric/liner parts.
4. I've recently experimented with adding shoulder pads...which as made putting in shoulder tucks about as easy as it can get!

I'm about to make a bunch of Jedi costumes (some for CVIII). It is my intention to make new assembly pictures (and possibly videos) and update the tutorial. It'll probably be summer before this project is posted.
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I will adjust according to your updates. If I could ask a question:
What is the sleeve consequence for sloping the shoulder? Does the sleeve just begin farther down on the tunic or is the part that connects to the tunic less long? I will experiment with the slope when I actually assemble it.

I will start a new thread and link here. I would really love if you kept an eye on my progress though because I do feel that you've mastered this and perhaps together we could create a really comprehensive tutorial for everyone to enjoy!

Thanks again!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peptidyl wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! I will adjust according to your updates. If I could ask a question:
What is the sleeve consequence for sloping the shoulder? Does the sleeve just begin farther down on the tunic or is the part that connects to the tunic less long?...!

Basically, I've sloped the shoulder portion of the tunic front and back patterns to reflect the slope you see in dress jackets. I shortened the length on the sleeve side of these pattern pieces by about 1.5" As with all costumes, the amount of slope may change, pending body type and size. Here's a picture I found where I tried to explain this somewhere else. This should help you see what I've done.

And just to reiterate...this is done for the front and back OT panels. And interestingly, this really doesn't change or otherwise interfere with the assembly of the sleeves.
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture! That makes sense! I've already updated the digital pattern. Again, any thoughts you have I'd be really honored to have your help!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peptidyl wrote:
Thanks for the picture! That makes sense! I've already updated the digital pattern. Again, any thoughts you have I'd be really honored to have your help!

Well...for completeness sakes, you might consider labeling the various pieces. And the patterns assume a 0.5" (or 1 cm) seam allowance. Then, having the orientation on the sleeves would be good (meaning the wider side is the shoulder side). And, then you might reiterate this pattern is for someone who is 6' tall and about 180 pounds. Scaling up and down may be necessary, pending body type and size Wink
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what the effect of the sloping the shoulders is. I've been thinking about it, wouldn't that make it more difficult for the tunic to wrap over itself? Thanks again for your sharing your thoughts!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peptidyl wrote:
I'm curious what the effect of the sloping the shoulders is. I've been thinking about it, wouldn't that make it more difficult for the tunic to wrap over itself? Thanks again for your sharing your thoughts!

I found the fabric around the shoulder area to be less "bunchy" once I sloped the shoulder. I kept looking at dress coats and jackets and realized this was sloped, and gave it a try. The garment draped over the shoulder much better and gave a neater, more refined look or more fitted look (even though Jedi tunics should be lose fitting...though not dumpy looking).

As for making the tunic not wrap properly on the front? Not at all. In fact, one of the two big problems I see when people dress as Jedi is (1) the front of the OT is too closed, not showing a proper amount of the IT and (2) the tabards are not meeting to drape vertical and parallel below the obi (...this second problem REALLY stands out and make the costume look awful...imo).
peptidyl ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. It does seem like the ROTS tunics were significantly more closed than other episodes but you're right that it follows the flow of the tabbards. Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you updated on the progress!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peptidyl wrote:
Hello everyone! First of all I wanted to thank you for providing this incredible information. I'm new here but wanted to contribute and give back a little so I'm sharing this project. I've been taking the plans you provided and digitizing them into a complete Jedi uniform that would be as accurate as possible. This includes details from the outer tunic lining to the pants so everyone can have access to a reliable pattern that is easy to just print off and work with. I've placed the patterns so far on 36" X 48" paper that can easily be printed at any print shop. That's a pretty standard size. I'll be updating it as I go because I learn a lot of small things just by actually putting it together.
Here's a sample of the pattern:

Here's a sample of the pattern. If there's interest in this I'll upload the high-res PDFs for printing. I started yesterday. I finished the inner tunic. And Here's an example of the pattern for the collar. Like I said, I want it to be very clear what the instructions are so everyone can follow along.

Also, if there it would be more appropriate to start a new threat let me know, I just didn't want to take credit for something that isn't mine at all, just a combination of other peoples efforts. The other catch is I'm currently studying medicine so I'll only be able to make big progress on the weekends but the material we're studying is quite emotionally trying and I find this to be very relaxing.

Again, any thoughts on this are welcome!

heads-up:

the length of your skirt-pattern is shorter at the sides of the body, than it is, at the back & front of the body

the length of your skirt is not equal, all the way around the body.

the length will 'dip' at the front and rear, and it will 'rise' at the sides of the body.

(the length of the skirt is not equal, all the way around -- your skirt is shorter at the sides)

a skirt -- (any skirt) -- SHOULD BE equal length , all the way around your body

it should not be longer at the butt & front , and shorter at the sides.

hope this helps. cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the roughly assembled (but not finished) uniform from the digitized patterns. I'm still having trouble with things bunching. There's a really great pants pattern I'll digitize as well. Everything should be digitized by this weekend. I'm really struggling to make the left cuff pressed properly and the skirt is actually okay (it was pretty long and will need adjustment depending on person) but it gets sucked under the obi and looks short on the sides so I may have to think of a way to keep it down.

I have another question. Your boots looks excellent. What do you recommend boot-wise? I have a replica from saberforge and just ordered the other belt pieces but I'm really lost for boots. They're either cheap and poor quality or exact matches and extremely expensive. Thanks again!
jQuellN ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just a few questions about adjusting this for larger Jedi (or in my case, Sith)

I'm a plus size gal and am trying to do a full-length Sith tunic for Saber Guild (same idea as your costume, just longer, and in black). I'm trying to figure out the arm holes, and pretty much what diameter/size to make them and all that, and how long to make the diagonal cross-over collar part... pretty much I'm trying to figure out measurements for the tunic front.

Here's a template I made, but it's a crude WIP.

If you have any tips for figuring out numbers/the arm hole situation, it would be appreciated!

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've altered the pattern for "husky" Jedi. I basically sloped the "side seam" to give more wrap-around fabric so the belly can be covered. I'll offer two pics:

(also, please note that I've since slopped the shoulder angle of the outer tunics...which is depicted in this first picture).

And here's your schematic. Please excuse the crude red and blue lines. The red line shows the original shape of the front panel. The blue line shows how I added to make for larger Jedi (or Sith).

Hope this helps.
ShoopWoop17 ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is a rather old forum, but it seems people are posting in it. Awesome tutorial, I am following it to make my first full outfit (Hopefully in time for TLJ), but the one thing I cant find is this: how wide should the collar for the outer tunic be? I have a strip of fabric that is long enough, I just don't know if it is wide enough.

Also, for costume standards: I have a Korbanth/Parks K4 lightsaber. It is the Kenobi lightsaber from A New Hope. Could I use that for an Episode III Obi Wan, given that the two sabers have the same overall shape and are "the same" in canon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: