Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=01223eecd5fd569b3c497d9bfde8dc7dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Dewkazza (Generic Monochrome -Submitted 4/19, Approved 5/20)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arms are a gradient of sorts. If standing with arms straight out in a T, the bottom of the arm has some light grey and shifts to black/grey mix at the middle and covers to the top of the sleeve. Majority of arm is the black/grey mix. Wanted to get a little fancy, but after talking to Jamie, it was discussed keeping it simple.

Have part of the arm started already. May have had it done today, but I spent today with my wife in surgery this morning (nothing major, was outpatient) and this afternoon I finished my gaffi stick so I could submit my Tusken Raider to 501st and Rebel Legion. Had to have a back up plan for Celebration! Most of the gaffi was done, and was not required for 501st, but was for RL.

Now that my Tusken has been submitted, tomorrow morning I am going to start on the wookiee mask and leave the sleeves alone unless I am waiting for dry times. Hopefully this works for me since I need to get the suit done and ready for feedback/submission in about 2 weeks max.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have 1 more day off to work on things... but moving at a steady pace. Have one arm about half done and got my shell curing overnight with the teeth in place. Was a royal pain trying to figure out how to get the mouth right for the teeth since my shell was a bit different than most of the ones I found images for. Luckily, Jamie came to the rescue this afternoon.

Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. What a lot of work you have got done!

Did you buy your mask or make it yourself?
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Big Bear!
I bought a mask kit from Ryan Ricks. I like that the shell covers the top of my head too. I will have to add a helmet liner later in the build process to keep it in place, but just nice to have that extra shape and protection without having to adjust or add to the face. Only negative of sorts is the chin is not as deep as shells like Jamie's. (Only one I really have seen comparison pics of) This really is only a concern when cutting away to add teeth.

Funny part is I bought the mask kit and got the toes too. I didn't realize I was getting both and it has been a blessing in disguise with my time crunch! I plan to make my own over the summer since I have them sculpted already just don't have time to do the rest of the steps.

I'll add more pics later today. After having a morning chat with Jamie, I have my progress steps in order I believe. Just finished cutting the jaw and sanding it, so now I am going to add brackets and springs before painting the teeth/gums. I look forward to that part! My goal is to have the skin on it today and the mesh attached to I can just start on the hair after that.

I have to admit I was VERY worried when I saw the kit because there were no instructions and I don't see many images of Ryan's mask in build stage and very few post with details on how to move forward from a kit. Jamie has been a life saver and honestly without the help and encouragement, I doubt I would have cut the shell because I was worried I was cutting wrong or too much away.

I just realized that I don't think I have seen but 1 build that showed the tongue being added (Chefhawk's). Now I have to research that too! I don't want to open my mouth and it looks super weird lol
ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie... has been amazing to me as well..... Once mine is done I Think I'll be sending her and Jason both gift cards for a dinner on me!!!!!

your progress is coming along great!!!

"Life is an endless series of train-wrecks with only brief, commercial-like breaks of happiness."
ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouser wrote:
Didn't get as far as I wanted unfortunately...

Have not started on toes...
Did not make a bottom for high steppers
Still have some work 2nd high stepper I may do tonight just to get it done and not care about the sleep so much.

But, for the one I have mostly done I wanted to share some pics so people believe I am actually working on it lol

Here is the High Stepper I basically have ready for the sole and toes...and hair. Due to having different metal rods I got a universal leg padding which wraps around my leg for days! I wish it secured differently, but for now it works fine.

Saw another builder had put bolts in all the holes to help secure the high steppers a little more and prevent any buckle or too much flex I guess. Liked the idea for most part, so adopted it for most of the high stepper. Would love to know how they made the outline of the inside of the high stepper so perfectly so I could copy it with some wood also.

Not a fan of the paint since it was so easy to scratch. Decided to follow another idea I saw on here and cover in duct tape, but first I added the edging from foam mats I have laying all around. Same height for most part as the bolts and nuts so I could keep the tape from hitting the edges and potentially being ripped, cut, torn, etc. Covered the tip of one bolt end because it was a tad too tall and would have hit the tape rather than tape hitting foam.

Tape added, hopefully ready for mesh now.

Still trying to figure out how far down to take the mesh on these and how to secure them to the high stepper.

Will add a trash can or shield of some sort in the future to avoid the shoe bump and make a smooth transition from pants to high stepper.

I'm so stealing this!!!!! I switched to the high steeper this week cause I did not get along with my stilts... meaning it was going to be a chewbacca down situation more than i care to have.

"Life is an endless series of train-wrecks with only brief, commercial-like breaks of happiness."
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, wish I could say I thought of it first, but I didn't. The high stepper bolt add ons are a little expensive so that is why I just did the row with the metal beams and a few bolts on the other side. Figure it would still hold up and lower weight is always a plus since the bolts, washers, etc. can get heavy too. I did have to cut a few bolts down in length. It took some real concentration to get the length right. That angle is weird so don't buy anything prior to getting them so you can measure.

I managed to make a small amount of progress today and over the weekend in addition to the previously posted image. I had to slow down because I was hunting for either lock nuts or rivet tool. Believe it or not....Lowes let me down. Didn't have either oddly.

Anyway, here are a few more pics of my weekend progress.
Test fitting of the mask tonight. Letting the lock-tite cure overnight and will paint teeth/gums, etc tomorrow before trying to apply the skin.

And have most of 1 arm completed. I have about 1/3 to go on the opposite side. The black really makes that light grey pop out and look almost white. Really weird. Not even that bright in person.

ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you have around you..... But here Ace hardware... is the KING of bolts, nuts, rivets and anything threaded that you might need for a project.

Between my Jeep and every other project I'm doing, I'm there once a week.

Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the black hole of hardware stores. I am in the middle of Home Depot, Lowes and Ace....almost perfectly in the middle, so doesn't matter what one I go to. I just tend to go to Lowes to avoid extra traffic or if its after work since it would be closest to my job.

They have 2 different rivet tools but they were out and the inventory said they should have 39 between the two models. The person helping me could not find them anywhere and said the stock people either put them somewhere completely wrong or the stock was added from the truck in back before being on the floor. So I asked about the lock nuts.... they don't carry ones as small as I needed.

I ended up at Ace since it was closest to Lowes. Got the rivet tool, so everything on mask except pivot point bolt is riveted now. Makes me feel better about anything coming loose and never being able to really fix it once the face is attached.

Should be painting the teeth tonight and putting a 3rd coat of black on toes. Then trim the face since the eyes and mouth are still not open. Hopefully that will set me up to adding mesh and the face Wednesday.
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some things come up this weekend to slow me down, but still made decent progress I think on the mask since I was trying to get it done before I left for my trip later in the week. As it stands now, I am most likely going to take the mask with me as carry on, on the aircraft to Orlando with hair and maybe the shirt if I can find a way to put it in a carry on that won't mess nothing up. Put the supplies in my suitcase. I don't think I can get the rest of the mask done in 3 afternoons when I still have life to deal with.

Anyway, skin is attached and I pray has enough adhesive on it to hold because I put it on very lightly. Back hair is done and latch hooked. Now on to the fun stuff!

I feel a little cross eyed when I see myself in photos wearing the mask. I guess because the bridge of the nose is so wide.

Won't have time to get dreads on the mask before celebration, so going with just a full back of hair currently. Put a few strands of grey in areas on the outter edges to mark where I wanted markings from the front to match up. Can see better on first shot, but also one of the back ones on corner here or back in this one.

The Wookiee Workshop ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the jaw to the inside of the hinge. Its warping the face sitting like that. Unless you want it like that then please keep going
Yiyo (Tom)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Scouser! keep at it, you are so close!!!
Thrain, Generic Wookiee (RL)
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookiee Workshop wrote:
Move the jaw to the inside of the hinge. Its warping the face sitting like that. Unless you want it like that then please keep going

Hopefully I can pull the skin up and do that now that it's dried. Never worked with sil-poxy before.
I noticed the jaw when I was putting it together but was not sure if it would lessen the ability of the jaw moving or look weird because of the bracket being on the outside. Will try to work on it tonight and reattach.

Thank you!
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon I was able to raise up the skin enough in the hinge area to move the jaw around as Wookiee Workshop recommended. It looks better, just need to wait for it to dry. I also noticed my nose bridge area could use some more tacking down. But I need to wait for current areas to try so I can use the clamps and I have access to the area to clamp down. Hoping this will make my eyes look better...well less cross eyed.

Removed the foam from the bottom of my high steppers, traced and cut new foam but with the addition of a platform area for the toes. Will be gluing the toes and bucket to the foam and then running straps or bungee from sides of toes to the bucket. This may not happen till I return from my business trip, but at least they are ready for it.

Almost forgot....my wookiee now has pretty teeth! Well, as long as you are not a dentist or something similar. Smile

yadsmood ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teeth and gums look good. A suggestion though, teeth and gums are generally pretty glossy. You might want to try putting a gloss coat of some sort on them. I see they used nail polish in this tutorial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: