Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6c317f0a119f7341d83082d11e799a2aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lurmen Build WIP (Questions at this time)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhatauntaun (Jhatonna Turner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Lurmen Build WIP (Questions at this time) Reply with quote

I've seen the little fur balls and I am very well versed in creature costumes, so I wanted to see if building a Lurmen from the Clone Wars was possible. For those not familiar, they are the cute lemur-people whose oldest and wisest representative did not want the jedi nor the clone troopers helping them at all, even though the jedi said they wanted to help them. The separatists had a new weapon that would spread fire and burn the little grass and mud village to the ground so they had to stop that from happening by putting a shield around the village.

1. How REALISTIC do they need to be compared to the series since they are anthros? Would the judges prefer I make a hyper realistic lemur with the profile of the lurmens? Would they need to be realistic-looking like an Ewok or a Wookie since they are also alien anthros?

2. Am I allowed to make just a lurmen of my choice and not a specific character that was actually in the show, kind of like the Ewoks and the Jawas or the jedi as long as I follow the costume design? Or, can I go off road and make a lurmen, but give it a star warsy wardrobe that is not indigenous to the Lurmen peoples. Would this be allowed?

3. I'm sure nobody has made one yet so, what would the standards for this be, exactly? Are you willing to let me build and see what I come up with and let me know as I go?

4.Is the Lurmen episode from the Clone Wars enough for the judges as far as proper referencing goes to even make a Lurmen? I have tried to do other species that nobody has made before and I did notice the RL likes to have many angles of the character/creature to even say it can be done. If there's not enough references, then I have been gently coerced to another species, instead. Naturally, I was quite disappointed, as I wanted to do the original character I posted about.

5. Are there any concerns that I have not listed that the judges would like me to be particular on when making the costume since I don't think it has CRL's that are standard? That is, if this species is approvable at all.

If this is a go, I will use the rest of this forum to post my progress. I like seeing new aliens in the RL, so I do intentionally try to flock from what's already been done because of this. It's a fun challenge as well. Thank you for your responses!

P.S. I have cross posted this in Rebel and Clone Wars section for alien species. as well, but was directed over here in hopes of having more attention.

Are these enough for proper references? I tried to do front, side and back, as it was very difficult for the show to give me all angles from head to toe like the RL requests and likes. It was hard to find just the right shots that weren't incredibly blurry. I got shots for both the male and the females. The males have tunics and pants, the females have dresses. Both genders have their fuzz-butt tails coming out of the seat of their clothing. Both genders wear sandals and have very basic hair styles, jewelries and color schemes. Mostly tans, blues, and maybe some greens and reds. Some Females wear bandanas, some females have their hair up in a pony tail fixture that plumes at the top of their head like a type of flower.

This will be a very easy costume as I have experience with creature costumes. I own about five, all ready that I've made myself. I also have all of the materials I would need for this project all ready on hand, surprisingly.

It is NOT luke warm inside of a tauntaun!

Last edited by Jhatauntaun (Jhatonna Turner) on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From our Charter: Costumes eligible for Rebel Legion membership, that do not have written/posted costume standards must include:
1. Two or more images, head to toe, showing the front and back of the costume being created OR a 360-degree head-to-toe turnaround of the character.
2. Additional images may be included to show detail of the costume being created.
3. Resource material may come from any LFL/Disney licensed sources for the character/costume being created.
4. Additional costume details may come from a detailed text-based description, but must have an accompanying visual reference to be considered for creating a Rebel Legion approved costume.

Be prepared to defend your creation with the resource images you offer. Alien judges have been raising the bar on realistic details, and while this species may not have a Costume Standard now we will be challenging you to give us as close a depiction of the Lurmen characters as you can. There are more than enough residents of that episode to build a CS from.

Personally I'll be looking for proportions - extensions to your arms, digitigrade legs, curled up tails with correct lengths. Correct length fur for the cheeks, tails, and forearms. A thin neck that separates head from body.

Good luck!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:
From our Charter: Costumes eligible for Rebel Legion membership, that do not have written/posted costume standards must include:
1. Two or more images, head to toe, showing the front and back of the costume being created OR a 360-degree head-to-toe turnaround of the character.
2. Additional images may be included to show detail of the costume being created.
3. Resource material may come from any LFL/Disney licensed sources for the character/costume being created.
4. Additional costume details may come from a detailed text-based description, but must have an accompanying visual reference to be considered for creating a Rebel Legion approved costume.

Be prepared to defend your creation with the resource images you offer. Alien judges have been raising the bar on realistic details, and while this species may not have a Costume Standard now we will be challenging you to give us as close a depiction of the Lurmen characters as you can. There are more than enough residents of that episode to build a CS from.

Personally I'll be looking for proportions - extensions to your arms, digitigrade legs, curled up tails with correct lengths. Correct length fur for the cheeks, tails, and forearms. A thin neck that separates head from body.

Good luck!

Here are some dresses I found on Ebay I was looking at that are sort of close to what is seen on screen with the lurmen's that have the blue dresses. I decided to go with blue, but as much as I like the shapes on some of these, they all have something that won't work I don't think because it's not exactly as it is in the episode. But, to see why and if they could work, I will post these pictures. One of them is too dark and the sleeves are rolled, so that might rule that one out. One of them is a nice "female" shape like in the show, but it has "folds" or 'pleats" I think it is called? Creasing to make the dress foldy in front. That might rule that one out, too. I personally think that's my favorite one for that. The last one has a really pretty oversized collar and I know that one wouldn't work unless I cut that out, but I like it for the collar. What are your suggestions? I'm trying to find a plain jane dress JUST like these with the exact shape and measurements, but that is proving to be very hard. It would be cheaper to buy a pre-made dress for me and then I could add to it.

DRESS 1

DRESS 2

DRESS 3

Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would honestly recommend working on the alien parts first because you don't know yet how they will fit inside of a normal persons clothes.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
I would honestly recommend working on the alien parts first because you don't know yet how they will fit inside of a normal persons clothes.

I have about four creature costumes I've made and I dress them in human costumes/clothes all the time, but I will take your advice, this time, because it's not a personal costume solely for my own enjoyment, this is setting a standard that will last forever. Smile

Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to wait to have your furred body completed before dressing your character.

Some of my costume sleeves are 14" around because the fur is so long and fluffy. Larger sleeves make the clothing look reasonable and not tight on the character.

Hope this helps!

Oh- I love all those clothing designs though. Pattern your favorite out and when you build your fur body just alter the dimensions to accommodate your fur body. Smile. Easy peasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: