Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8af0b3cd7bd92e0257f541c7c0b3e88dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Flamegown WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More color swatches! Very Happy I'm having fun with these although the process is kinda boring. But I really like how the colors turn out on the velvet.

Okay, first off I decided to do a little photoshoot of all the things I need to make these color swatches happen. I think this might be helpful to others or myself so I don't forget.

I've got hot water, cups, salt, soda ash, dye, teaspoons, a precision weight, a calibrating weight (for the precision weight), a small bowl to measure the dye, salt and soda ash in, gloves (use at all times or risk color stains on your hands (yes, it happened to me)), a cup for the soda ash (so I can get it ready before I need it), a spoon to mix up the soda ash with a bit of warm water (before it goes into the dye), the fabric, something to wet the fabric in before dyeing, a measuring cup (for the hot water).

I did red colors this time around, and those are tricky. One was a one star color so that one needed double amount compared to the guide. The second was a double star color so that needed four times the amount compared to the guide.

This is what the Pagoda Red looked like mid dye:

And the Jungle Red:

After dyeing while still wet:

Artificial yellow lighting, partly dry:

Dry, natural light. First against the light, then in the sun.

I absolutely love the Pagoda Red! It has that dark orange, coppery color to it that I want to hit in the top of the hood. Smile I can't wait to get the last colors done and then start playing around with mixes. The Jungle Red is too much on the blue side for this project, but if dyed a bit darker and more intense it might work for anything bloodred. At any rate it will be saved for the day I have a project I need it for.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More dye tests! Very Happy And today I got the last of my colors done, so all the basic colors I bought are now tested.

I started out with Golden Yellow and Orange Crush.
This is what they looked like wet after the excess water had been rinsed out.

It should be noted that while I was working with the yellow it looked very dark, but once rinsed it brightened a lot. It's a warm color, so it's only natural that the water was sorta light orange.

Then I did the last, knowing I wouldn't quite be done at the end of class, but I had nothing I needed to do before dinner anyway. This is Deep Orange:

The Deep Orange is a bit lighter than the Orange Crush. Will compare them with the others when they are dry.

And that was it. All the basic colors done. Next up will be to figure out how to mix them for the perfect color blend and how to get the best ombré dye. Smile Might be a while before I do that as I also have other projects I'm working on/planning to work on.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaannnnd dry and in daylight:

Smile

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colors look gorgeous! I can't wait to see them on the dress.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just want it to be done right now, but I know it won't happen until next year. Patience... I must have patience. Rolling Eyes

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally did the first test to ombré dye. Smile Two bowls and moving the fabric back and forth so the middle part would get both colors.

Colors used: deep yellow and orange crush

Drying fabrics:

Just some random scraps used for this. One was moved back and forth constantly, the other was first in one color then the other. The moving of wet fabric did cause some of the orange to bleed into the yellow.

Left has been first in yellow, then orange, right has been kept in motion.

The colors look pretty and we will continue to test out different ways to do this and what colors give the best ombré effect. Smile

We also tested some fabric for underlining the sleeves. This is a partial sleeve made from silk organza.

We put it inside a partially sewn sleeve to see what effect it would have.

The conclusion is it would make it much stiffer and stand out more. But it might make it a bit too stiff. I also have some cotton voile to test out so that's next.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More testing! Yes, this will go on for a while, but I learn a lot from all this testing and get pretty pieces of fabric in the process. Razz

More ombré dye technique testing. Deep yellow and soft orange.

Wet and in artificial light:

Dry and the daylight from the window:

Setting one color at the time do seem to work well so we are continuing with this method.

We also did a full sleeve of cotton voile to try out how it works as an underlining fabric. We attached to the back pieces and front pieces before sewing the whole sleeve together.

The lines on the silk velvet and voile didn't quite match up...

We have already decided to start over on the sleeves (because they were so fun do to /sarcasm), as we want them to be perfect. For this reason we absolutely did not care about thread colors on this sleeve and that did look rather strange after dyeing.

Here's now it looked all wrinkled, but lined:

I think the side photo really shows of the points well. Nothing is ironed/pressed and in general it's not totally like how it should be, but you get the point.
Lying flat it looks like this:

So, time for more dyeing! This time we tried out with three colors for a softer color transition between the yellow and the darkest of the orange.

Totally yellow, right?

First the tip was dyed yellow. The color was also set with soda ash before pressing out the water and moving on to the soft orange.

We only did the middle part of the fabric, but moving it back and forth to get the orange to bleed into the yellow.

And finally the orange crush after setting the soft orange and pressing out the water.

In case you're wondering, then yes, a wet sleeve like that is quite heavy to hold up. We cut recommended dyeing time in half for all the colors, because it would have tried even my patience to do full dyeing time with three colors and my arms got tired enough just from doing this.
It was a relief when we could start the rinsing process, which takes about as long as dyeing to get excess dye out.

And this is what it looked like while drying:

I had to go home (we did this at my sis's place) so I haven't yet seen it dry, but I like the result so far. I'm thinking of using the pieces for a flame gown bag.
Next time we'll try and mix in some pagoda red with the orange crush. I'm thinking to try a 20/80 mix, but we'll see.
At any rate we have concluded that we like the cotton voile and will be using this as our underlining layer. And we will need bigger boxes for dyeing when we come that far. These could hold a sleeve, but I'd much rather dye at least two sleeves at a time or even all four.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that hand work was worth it. It looks spectacular!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does. Smile And it looks even better in real life than on the pictures.

We'll need to buy a lot of voile so that's on my list of fabrics I'm allowed to buy. Otherwise I need to use my stash. Wink

Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so gorgeous, great work!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile Just saw it dry today and we both love it. Now we really look forward to start dyeing the real thing.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is currently a mess, and it will get fixed after I settle on a new host.

Just wanted to say this has project been revived/thawed and this time we hope not to ruin another two meters of silk velvet. Rolling Eyes *dust off rayon fibers*

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have four sleeves now and they look to fit without being completely lopsided or anything. Smile But don't expect precision sewing when working with silk velvet; it likes to shift, so having a 'close enough' mentality is needed.

(And I still need to clean up the mess in this thread).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: