Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6dbe8d9c00a234b1b035d9a798f15c99Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rookie RFT with Vest & Boot Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roddar Ormin ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Rookie RFT with Vest & Boot Questions Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

CRL read and understood? Check and check.
Numerous threads read? Check.
Screencaps downloaded? Check.
Wearing out the Pause button on the DVD player? Very check.
Can I drive a sewing machine in a straight line? Check. Well, mostly Razz

So, in about a week I go on vacation and, as most of my RFT materials have arrived, I'll be spending a good deal of my time off building my RFT. Before I go stitchin' and cuttin' on stuff, I've got a few questions that I hope haven't been asked too many times before.

1] Is it foolhardy to consider building the vest recently auctioned by Propstore? The more I stare at it the more I think it's doable...that right-hand pocket might not be as complex as I think. TKvanB and Phyllis may have cured me of the fear of sewing on pockets (excellent sewing threads, y'all).

2] I'm cutting the strap off my Xelement boots (they're surprisingly comfy). There's a tiny little stitched square holding the strap to the inside of the boot. Do you guys unstitch that li'l square (thus leaving holes in yer boots) or do you cut around that square and keep the water out. I'm not thinking about RL acceptance, I'm thinking about puddles.

3] Again with the boots...I'm inclined to paint the cuff strap buckle black. Is there a preference within the RL even though there's nothing in the CRL about the cuff strap buckle?

As my intent is to go as far beyond merely "acceptable" as possible within my current means and skills, I may be prone to over-thinking aspects of the build. If I am, please call me on it.

Oh, I checked out GearsMcT's stickied ANH RAID reference video the other day. Holy crap, I've watched ANH literally hundreds of times over the years and NEVER clued in to just how many RFT's are wandering around on Yavin 4.

Thanks for your time reading this, and many, many thanks for any info you may have regarding the above.

Roddar
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddar

good questions!

Im at work right now, and don't have much time left on lunch, but the new vest is do able...Landeaux just made one. I wll be making two more soon myself.

I will answer more this weekend when I get a change. Remember--match your screen used images.
Roddar Ormin ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, vacation's been productive.

Shirt's done save for hemming the cuffs and the vest is prepped to receive new pockets. Belt blank dyed and buckle is now octagonal.

Boots: CRL said to remove the ankle strap, so I ended up cutting the ankle strap off below the stitched square and removed that li'l square as well. I'll have the local shoe repair guy work on pluggin' up the holes if I can't find something to (comfortably) patch things up from inside.

As far as the cuff buckle, I'll try using some of my wargaming paints as a primer before going with a matte finish black enamel on it. Removing and replacing the buckle is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Talk to ya later!
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: