Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fc0826d2b8d4c5fa2623fe368d2d7aaeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Rey WIP Reply with quote

Now that I got my Resistance Rey approved, I've started working on my scavenger version. I don't need much more for it, as some of the costume crosses over both!

Here are my tabbards so far. How does the color work? Don't mind the shirt, I'm just using it as a place holder.

I have two questions: When I go to start her shirt, is it all one piece of fabric with the only seams being the ones on the side as in this picture, or are the cap sleeves separate?

Question two: for her side bag, does this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141906922693?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
angelofmusic (Alexandria Tollman)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this was posted a little while ago, so I'm sure you've probably answered your own questions or gotten the information elsewhere by now, but here's my two cents just in case!

The cap sleeves are separate. It's a bit difficult to tell when looking at the right one (her left), because of the ridge detailing, but the seams are visible on the left one (her right).

As for the bag, I'd say it would probably work as far as the design and detailing goes. I made my own, which was recently approved (unofficially, until new members can be accepted again after the elections, but it was given the go-ahead xD). It's of an extremely similar make and fabric type to the one you linked. However, mine is only 8 X 8, roughly, and even that looks a little large on me. Granted, I'm pretty short and of a small build, but I'd say mine would look a little big even on a more average sized person. (Needless to say, I will be remaking it soon xD) The one you linked says it's 11 X 9, which I have to think would look very large on just about anybody.

Here's a picture of mine for size reference.

Good luck and I hope that was helpful ^_^.
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bag you linked to would need to be taken in all the way around. the long wrap needs to be darker than the shirt and lighter than the pants. The rey standard is fairly detailed so be sure to use it as a guide Yes there is a shoulder seam and the ridges on the one sleeve are not required.. Hope that helps

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did a little more work on this and took these photos yesterday. I know the arm wraps need some work, so bear with me.

I asked around about how it looked, then took advice and weathered everything!

Next is to weather the wraps and order my bag which I will mod!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shirt is still too light - it needs to not look white. I would still darken it and the wraps a bit more. Also the pants are looking too gray - they need a touch of brown in them. Then again it could be the lighting. When you submit be sure you are in front of a light or white colored background, natural light and no flash and no bright sunlight. It really helps to show the true colors.

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the lighting in all of these photos, the bottom ones on the dress form are from after I took the top ones and I had done a TON of weathering and darkened the both the shirt and the wrap, as I was advised to do by some other members on FB. I'll try to get a white back drop and better lighting when I submit. I did tea dye the wraps and they look must better now. When I can, I'll try to get some photos. Now I have to order my bag which I will alter to the correct size.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some updated photos. I would love some feed back. I hope to submit soon!

Del-Nara Lanith (Anne)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! Cool Best of luck with your submission. praying

Never too old to be a Rebel... or a Jedi!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
Here are some updated photos. I would love some feed back. I hope to submit soon!

The wrap needs to be darker than the shirt and lighter than the pants yours looks the same color as the shirt. I would hit the wrap and the arm wraps with one more good tea or coffee dye bath. Also the twine on the belt should be a tad darker as well. Be sure the ends and the loop of the wrap hit just above the top of the boot and/or just below the cuff on the pants when you submit your application. right now your ends in front are below the boot top. Looks lots better than when you began!

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate what lighting does to this costume. The tabbards are definitely darker in person. Bleck!!!! I'll adjust the way it falls when I submit. Do you have any tips on trying to ensure the colors show up correctly when I submit?

Also, this is the same belt I used for my resistance costume which is approved, do I still need to change the twine?

Thanks!
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you completely... got the same problem as you with my application. I took the pics in my garage... with white led lights. This is the tricky thing with this costume. Camera false everything and don't show the true colors. I took a bunch of pics in home, conventions, and everytime my costume (especially the wrap) look different... for exemple, in my profile pic it looks very white, but actually it's not looking like that at all in person.

The wrap will be taupe/purple(if you did put this dye color), grey, sand/brown, depending the lighting. Indoor in yellow light it will be brown/sand (as request by the standard), but with white lights it will be grey/sand or even off white in plain sunlight Rolling Eyes I've noticed that it is the same in the movie. In Jakku, Rey costume is more sand color, but when she's in the forest(Maz'castle), it is grey... actually I used a bit of tan to dye the wrap. I've seen someone who used safari-grey and ecru, and colors are really close to the accurate ! Her name is Tea on RPF : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=120 and Caravaggista here on RL.

For your costume, I think the arm wrap are good. It's possible there is a grey tone in the colors of your tabards that lighten it on camera, compare to the shirt which is supposely to be off-white(but yours is more yellowish, that's why there is not much contrast between the two. Maybe a bath of tan dye will get rid off this grey color. I did it on my headwrap one time ^^ because it looked purple outside in some pics.
Hope this can help Smile

Last edited by gallica (laure) on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might wet some coffee grinds again and toss the tabbard in there more more time and dirty it up some more. That might give it some more contrast. Yeah the shirt is definately beige in person too. LOL this is why I waited so long to do this costume, I HATE how the colors show up. Everyone I have spoke to has had issues lol. Resistance Rey is my Jam. Colors are pretty straight forward, and I just love the overall look.
gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this costume is more difficult than people might think... it look easy, but it's not at all Mr. Green I never used coffee, so I can't say to you if it will work. Try to takes different pics indoor/outdoor during the process to see how colors are showing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: