Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ca15437d2d8d4f2bf437ad2ede8a54a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A Hazard Squadron Hopeful - Advice For First RL Costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktheilen ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: A Hazard Squadron Hopeful - Advice For First RL Costume Reply with quote

Hi everyone! First time posting here, so please forgive me if I make any newbie mistakes in this posting.

I'm a SoCal gal looking to complete my X-wing pilot by the end of 2017 (hopefully sooner if time and money permits). I'm really looking forward to applying to join Sunrider Base and hopefully Hazard Squadron (you guys seem like a lot of fun!). It's been my dream to complete a RL costume since meeting some RL and 501st folks at Comic Con in 2008, but unfortunately many life events got in the way and to be honest I was quite intimidated by the thought of making a costume that was "good enough" despite being a long time costume maker.

All this said, I'm dead set on completing my costume this year and had a few beginner questions - below:

Belt/Ejection Harness Webbing - From my research and seeing the film costumes on display, it's always seemed like the belt and the ejection harness were made of two different types of webbing (slight color variation and weave). Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when buying Nylon webbing for this project? Any suggestions on specific vendors?

Helmet - I've seen that a few folks now make smaller or petite kits for the helmets. Are these still RL Approvable if they are smaller? I have a smaller head, but thinking of still going with the standard size to be more screen accurate, but also worried about looking ridiculous if it's too large on me.

General Question - Is there a general consensus on 3D printing costume pieces such as the code cylinders which would then be painted to appear metal. Is that permitted or should I stick with finding a vendor who makes aluminum ones?

Anyway - sorry for a long initial post. I hope to check in with more progress soon!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum! Very Happy

We love getting new people here.
I can't answer all your questions as I'm still focusing on the flightsuit and vest myself, but regarding 3D printing, then yes, you can do that. Smile It's what I'm going to do. (Which reminds me I have yet to put my design on thingiverse).

Good luck with it. I hope this might be the year I actually complete my costume, too, or at least most of it. Or a part of it. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no recommended way to do it, and as long as it looks like it did on the screen you should not have a problem.

There are people who offer parts that are acceptable and most people go that route because they can't make it themselves or it's just easier to buy it. Do what works for you.

You are in an area with a lot of Rebel Pilots who would be more than willing to offer assistance. Good luck on your build!

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ktheilen ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again all!

Boot feedback wanted, if possible -

I'm a smaller size in lady feet, so what do you guys think of these boots - would these work if I remove the top loop/strap? The listing says that they are 13" high - which I hope is accurate.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be a bit tall, but if you blouse the leg over the top, I think they should work. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, those look ok to me.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ktheilen ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both! I'll pick them up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: