Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ab8a4c9cc75745c3fc6822d4b415086fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Opinions on this helmet kit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laserbrain ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Npask82 wrote:
What type of Primer and White base color Paint are yall using for the helmets (non-Poe)? Gloss/Semi Gloss/Matte?

Great minds think alike. I asked Rusty that question a few days ago. He sent me this:

Poe is satin black, ivory white satin, and satin colonial red,along with the same metallic silver.
Npask82 (Nick Pasquariello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, I plan to do some type of Red/White/Blue theme since I'm in Freedom Base. Would be nice if I could find some type of generator though to mock up images and do better planning. /Ugh
Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the allen amis helmet and my initial reaction is it's very nice. Def not for larger heads though, but fits me fine and not too bulky. I am starting on the prep / paint process.
Isrut ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on this helmet kit? Reply with quote

Redwillow wrote:
Has anyone tried this helmet kit from ChristWerxProps ? I believe they are also listed for sale on RPF.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/280838536/raw-kit-fan-made-tfa-x-wing-pilot-helmet?ref=shop_home_feat_1

I'm looking for a reasonably priced kit with decals.

I actually bought this kit, sans decals. It's my first ever so I can't compare it to much but I really like it! I can post my WIP if you'd like.
Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post it up!
Isrut ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side
Other Side
Front
back

I have nails slid into the holes to keep the visor on for photos, so it's riding a lot lower than it should. I have yet to attach the other visor (Wow, words are hard in the morning) or pieces as I am debating between weathering and not weathering.

ChristWerxProps has been very nice and helpful to this first timer! I broke the helmet while sanding and he helped my with putting it back together. He's answered all of my questions and has been just very patient.

Here are some other photos I've taken along the way:

Visor
Bits and pieces
When I first got it in
Unwrapped
Trying the base on for size
Loosely holding the raw pieces together
Side

I bought this helmet kit before Allen Amis had officially put theirs up. But I've been following him on facebook and he's also been great in answering my general questions about helmet construction and his pilot gear![/url]
Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good! first teal color scheme I've seen.

Quote:
I am debating between weathering and not weathering.

I would suggest weathering because a) it will look more realistic and b) it will help blend and conceal any uneven lines or imperfections on the paint job
Isrut ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwillow wrote:
looking good! first teal color scheme I've seen.

Quote:
I am debating between weathering and not weathering.

I would suggest weathering because a) it will look more realistic and b) it will help blend and conceal any uneven lines or imperfections on the paint job

Yeah I was basing it off Kare Kuns in the comic book, which only really has a front view. So I made the rest 'my own'! I liked her color scheme a lot.

I think I am going to weather it, I'm just good at over doing it. Which was almost fine when I did my post-apocalyptic gear but I feel will look terrible on this. hah!
Thanamira ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion I'm planning on following:

* do up helmet as it'd look "factory fresh"
* hit with clear sealant
* then apply weathering

My extremely limited experience of one (1) project (namely, chestbox + blaster for this build) showed that windex was excellent at knocking back my overuse of nuln oil and agrax earthshade, so then I could try again.

Note that, in case it wasn't clear, I am very inexperienced at this. :) But it might with your over-weathering concerns.
Mrimagination ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: ChristWerxsProps Helmet Reply with quote

Having a larger melon, I'm thinking that the ChristWerxsProps helmet is the one to go with. It'll also allow for foam inserts. Which are more film accurate. Does anyone have other images of this kit together?
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helmet kit is not bad, but keep in mind it is missing some details. There is a "ledge" that runs from front to back of the helmet about and inch from the ear ring that this helmet is missing. Also "ledge" about a 1/2" wide around the face opening, and finally, along the bottom of the helmet. Some of this can be simulated with paint. Most of the screen used helmets have paint at the bottom of the helmet coincident with the elevation change, for example, and most have a stripe around at the one surrounding the ear ring. So, the missing detail can be hidden in that way. The hardest detail to simulate will be the missing circle details on the right side of the helmet. Those are molded into the actual helmet, but MIGHT be simulated with some clever paint work.

All the screen used helmets were weathered, so a weathering pass will help "sell" the prop. I recommend using water-based acrylics for weathering so they can be easily "toned down" if you think you went too far.

For the base white, I use Rustoleum semi-gloss white. You'll think it's too shiny when it first dries, but it's perfect once you weathered it up a bit and it dried very hard.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you said that the AllenAmis helmet won't work if you have a large size head. I wear a size 60cm/23.5in/7.5/L-XL hat. Would this be too small, or should I go for the ChristWerx one?
Isrut ()

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never posted up my finished helmet! This is the ChristWerxProps one.

More images as links:

http://i66.tinypic.com/hvb28k.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/sbmsu9.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/33tsfmf.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2gwfi2t.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/k1fk1t.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/eu0a48.jpg

You can see more details in the album here: https://www.facebook.com/rebel.scum.cosplay/posts/1910848465825083

I learned a lot doing this, mostly, that I need to find a better way to add weathering. Some came from me naturally dinging it, I'm a clutz haha. And random bits of foam don't make for level padding.

I need to fix my jumpsuit, I uh, enthusiastically hemmed the legs. Otherwise with this my Pilot is almost complete.
Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
So you said that the AllenAmis helmet won't work if you have a large size head. I wear a size 60cm/23.5in/7.5/L-XL hat. Would this be too small, or should I go for the ChristWerx one?

He states on his listing it goes up to 24, with trimming. I'm at 22 and it's fine. I do think you would need to trim it some around the opening and it is prob going to be tight. In my other post about it you can see how much padding i put around the sides of it.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna take a risk and try the recent Poe Dameron v2 helmet from reelprops & TheRocketeer off RPF. I'll post pics once the actual helmet is in hand. So far, the thread just has their current WIP, which they say is modeled after The Prop Shop version of Poe's helmet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: