Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16c76a3e93484ebd2e3a268f71b1ed18Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Nikto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ylan Firesign (Thomas G. Atkinson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: My Nikto Reply with quote

The one who got a Kenner action figure -- I always liked him.

Finally figured out how to make an image appear in this post! Here's a link to my Google album:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMj7NQQqPHeM2b5qTdn3D0CUeElXX5-T3437w4N

Meanwhile, some information. Like I said, I always liked this guy. He had been on my long list of "costumes I'd maybe like to do someday," and after the Star Wars Celebration last year, I moved him to the top of that list.

The mask is soft-sculptured of polyester felt, as I know nothing of clay sculpting, moldmaking, nor casting. I knew nothing of airbrushing before I started this project, but now I know a little bit.

I'm currently working on his staff weapon (electrostaff, vibro staff, force pike, whatever it is) -- it's the same kind of weapon that Han Solo used to despatch Boba Fett, and then to pull Lando up from the pit, but I have been able to find no evidence that anyone else has ever tried to replicate it.

The costume is still a work in progress. I still haven't done my favorite part: the nifty double wings on the shoulders! I'm pretty happy with the fabric on the lower part of the pants, but have to adjust the fit around the waist.

I've begun work on his hat, but only just, so no pictures of that yet.

Enjoy!

Better chaotic good than lawful evil.

Last edited by Ylan Firesign (Thomas G. Atkinson) on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of the mask, did you buy it or make it yourself

how did you make the shoulder armour

unfortunately skiff gaurds arnt allowed in the RL as i found out when i made mine
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the mask myself! There are construction photos in the second link.

The shoulder armor is cut from a yoga mat (EVA foam from Five Below), with craft foam details (also EVA foam) and rivets/buttons/whatever they are made of polymer clay (Sculpey). Spray-painted flat black with a dusting of silver spray paint. It's mostly held together with Weldwood brand gel-formula contact cement, which is really good for gluing, but really bad for breathing, so work with it outside.

No Skiff Guards in the Rebel Legion?! But Han Solo worked for Jabba the Hutt, the same as they did! Well, my guy can dress as a Jedi sometimes, I guess. But I like his skiff guard outfit.

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the link didnt work

your mask and armour look fantastic, well done
i really like the niktos and yours looks great. i look forward to seeing how the rest of it looks

i have also made a skiff gaurd, yotts orren from the second skiff, hes the one that shoots at luke. but i also use the mask for a klaatu jedi

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=9032&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Blair!

hartss, your Klaatu looks great! I'm amazed that there are still so many background characters in the Star Wars universe that no one has re-created -- there are so many talented, costumed fans, you'd think it would all be covered by now. But that's another indication of how richly detailed that universe is.

Meanwhile, the link didn't work? Try this one...:

https://goo.gl/photos/NXCbf8iHajr1eEa18

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, the mask is a 1984 don post i found at a con, but i put lenses in the eyes

the link worked, very impressive work
what material did you use to make the mask?
after cutting the yoga mat what did you use on top of it to make it keep its shape?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mask is polyester felt; just ordinary craft felt made of recycled soft-drink bottles. It involved a lot of fussy hand-sewing. If I had known about needle felting, I'd have tried that -- that will be a technique to try on my next alien mask.

I bought a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight to paint him; the kind everybody says you're lucky to get one use out of. I was very lucky; it worked for the three or four airbrushing sessions I gave him, and should still work. I gave him a color scheme inspired by king and coral snakes, partly to enhance the sculpted details.

The yoga mat is pretty stiff and durable all by itself. It's the same kind of foam that flip-flop sandals are made of, maybe about half as thick. Once I had worked out the shape in cardboard, I cut it out of the mat in one piece and glued the one shoulder seam. I put it on an empty cheese-ball barrel with rubber bands around it and let it set in my car on a sunny day or three, until the curves were how I wanted them. If that makes sense? Like I say, the details are craft foam and Sculpey, glued on, and then just cheap spray paint on the outside. You can see it before paint in the photos.

Working on his stick and his hat, next!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had his stick ready for Balticon two weeks ago, but didn't get the opportunity to wear the costume Crying or Very sad

Has anybody else done one of these? I can't be the first.

It's not clear which end is which in the movie, so I put orange safety tips on both ends. They're easily removable for a more screen-accurate look.

I could add a few more tiny details, but that will come. It's already got a little natural battle damage, and I haven't even appeared in public with it yet.

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never made that one

mine was just a custom job from spare parts
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very nifty one yours is! Do I see a toner cartridge from a Xerox machine in there? I have some copier parts in my useful junk box as well.

A mini version of this weapon was carried by the Kenner Nikto action figure, who was no one's favorite but mine, apparently, but shared by the Barada and Yak Face figures, two of the much sought-after "last 17." So it's halfway rare and expensive. I want one to show people when I'm in costume, but I'd be afraid to lose it.

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did think about making that one, but just went with a custon vibro axe

no toner parts just plumbing pipe, base board, nerf gun barrel and parts and a pair of salsa dishes from the dollar store
Saifai ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one from woodchuck.

He made it based on reference pics i provided him.

I use the weapon for my kithaba costume.

501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Could I see those reference pics? Or were they photos of one of the toy versions? Photos of the actual prop are hard to find.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: