Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=02285434bd6b432f1122f320040050a9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels A-Wing Pilot WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Rebels A-Wing Pilot WIP Reply with quote

This is the A-Wing Pilot Male AvB. Heís not to be confused to his identical twin brother, A-Wing Pilot Male AvA, though (That guy has a different helmet). Rather than recreating the character (no hair), I am going to recreate the costume as a ďgenericĒ pilot (i.e.: possible recolor of the helmet, but I havenít
decided yet).

So, what all does this costume have on it? Iím glad you asked. Sit right back and get ready for one of olí uncle Volundís long-winded useless rantsÖ I mean one of my world-famous costume dissections!

----------

Flight Suit
The coverall is a red twill with padded patch pockets on the biceps and thighs and a standup collar. It includes a compad pocket on the left forearm and an identically sized patch on the right arm. There is a seam down the center of the back and collar. There is a bias tape sewn down across the top of the chest and back, as well as down the chest diagonally to the waist seam. The chest and hips include a pair of flat patch pockets. There are a pair of rectangular pockets on the seat, as well as a reinforced seat seam. There are knee reinforcements on the front of the legs. The legs of the coverall are cuffed overtop of the boots with an elastic-looking cuff.

Boots
The boots consist of a low-heeled leather boot and a below-the-knee-height gaiter. There is a seam on the inside of the gaiter.

Belt
The belt is made of white cloth and includes a flat two-layer buckle and a detail on both sides that is quilted into 8 parts.

Flak Vest
The flak vest is a dark gray tank-top style and comes down to the bottom of the ribcage. There is a patch on the front and back of the vest. The back of the vest includes a pair of straps sewn to it that connect to the straps from the chest box.

Chest Box
The chest box is black with white, gray, and blue greeblies on it. Blow the box is a light gray half cylinder mounted to an armor plate. The chest box includes a pair of black leather straps that attach to the vest straps.

Gloves
The gloves are white with a gray patch on the back of the hand and light gray gauntlet. They are designed nearly identically to the Hoth gloves. The difference is a commpad pocket on the back of the hand rather than the commpad being bolted in place.

Commpad
A thick black commpad with three black buttons and one gray button.

Helmet
A modified version of the Y-Wing helmet with an opaque gold reflective visor. The helmet has the pill shape and circle mirrored on both sides, lacks the brow indent, has a pair of grooves on the brows, lacks the vent detail on the back of the rim, has a groove around the top of the dome, and includes a indent on the back of the head.

----------

How am I planning to build it? Glad you asked.

Coverall
The coveralls will be sewn by my lovely wife. Sheís the one who does the needlework stuff. However, that doesnít mean that I donít help. For instance, I went through and did a [i]shebs[/b] load of measurements for the various sizes of everything. Like the Imperial crewman uniforms (similar design), it will have a cuff. Finally, it will include a Velcro dot in the back and front to keep the belt in place.

Boots
The boots will be made using a pair of black leather Chelsea boots and a homemade gaiter from leather with a zipper on the inside. More than likely, Iíll make the gaiters as high as the Imperial pilot gaiters so you donít see them if the legs pull up a little. Theyíll also snap to the boots. Unlike the Imperial Officer boots, which are smooth, the A-Wing pilot boots have a pebble grain to them.

Belt
The belt will have an internal nylon strap to help it keep its shape. Itíll Velcro closed under buckle in the front and have a spot of Velcro in the rear to attach to the coverall.

Flak Vest
The flak vest will zip closed in the front using a hidden zipper. The seam will be hidden even more by the chest box and front flap. The arm straps will be tubes around a nylon strap and female side-release buckle. There will also be some magnet pockets to hold the chest box down.

Chest Box
The main box of the chest box will be made using pepakura. The details will be built on using layered sintra. It will all be attached to a plate of sintra that has a pair of magnets below it to keep it in place on the vest. A pair of leather straps will connect behind the box and end with male side-release buckles to attach to the shoulder straps.

Gloves
The gloves will be a pair of light gray gloves. Iíll sew a gray suede patch to the back of the gloves and use gray suede to sew the gauntlet to the gloves. The gauntlet will include a commpad pocket. The commpad will be made using layered sintra.

Compad
The compad will just be layered sintra. It measures 2Ē to a side with the buttons being ĺĒ square. The main body is ĹĒ thick with the buttons being 1/8Ē thick.

Helmet
The helmet will be a pepakura build. Iíll be building the inside of the helmet up a little to make it look like the inside references of the concept art above. Finally, the visor will be a welding visor with a reflective gold tint on it. Some of the details will likewise be layered sintra.

----------

Iíll be updating this thread as the build progresses. Thus begins my WIP.

Last edited by Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg) on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might head over to the 501st Armored Calvary and look up patterns for the Imperial Combat Driver suit because from what I can tell this concept art is the same suit as the Imperial Combat Driver-- same pockets, collar, and even has the same elbow commpad. Though I can't remember if the finished pilot model in Rebels had that elbow commpad or not... The gloves look like Imperial Combat Driver gloves, too, just in a different color. I'd wager that the animators just cloned the ICD model and changed a few things on it.

Also, personally, I'd go for a medium gray vest rather than black. The chestbox (which is a simplified RotJ A-wing pilot chestbox) is black, and you can tell it's darker than the vest. It's hard to say what the material of the flak vest is supposed to be but in RotJ the A-wing and B-wing pilot vests were made out of a wool material. I would do white for the belt, too, because they're white in the series (as far as I can remember).

Also, the helmet, you could just go for a Richies Armor Y-wing pilot helmet if you didn't want to bother to make one yourself. They're not very accurate for RotJ Y-wing pilots but they would probably work pretty well for the simplified Rebels helmets.

But it'll definitely be nice to see another pilot in the base. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
You might head over to the 501st Armored Calvary and look up patterns for the Imperial Combat Driver suit because from what I can tell this concept art is the same suit as the Imperial Combat Driver-- same pockets, collar, and even has the same elbow commpad. Though I can't remember if the finished pilot model in Rebels had that elbow commpad or not...

You are right, the coverall is the same basic design. Like the original Star Wars, it looks like all of the coveralls were drawn along the same lines. However, there are differences. The Imperial Combat Driver pockets have flaps that are animated in some scenes. There are no flaps on any of the A-Wing pilots. Also, there is no line across the top of the chest or back on the IDC. Finally, the ICD wears an armored collar, but the Imperial Crew coverall has the same neckseal. The Rebel costume also has the commpad.

Quote:
The gloves look like Imperial Combat Driver gloves, too, just in a different color. I'd wager that the animators just cloned the ICD model and changed a few things on it.

The gloves are unique to this character, though. They are based on the Hoth gloves worn by Luke and Han, with the compad on the back of the glove. At this point, no other character model has them other than the A-Wing pilots.

Quote:
Also, personally, I'd go for a medium gray vest rather than black. The chestbox (which is a simplified RotJ A-wing pilot chestbox) is black, and you can tell it's darker than the vest. It's hard to say what the material of the flak vest is supposed to be but in RotJ the A-wing and B-wing pilot vests were made out of a wool material. I would do white for the belt, too, because they're white in the series (as far as I can remember).

I think youíre right about the flak vest. Though, Iíll probably go dark gray rather than black. So, Iíve changed that in my dissection above. Iíll probably keep it as a utility-grade fabric, though. It has to be a little bit load-bearing (because of the chest box) and I donít want it to stretch; perhaps a gabardine.

The belt, as well, is going to be white. The new picture above (higher detail) shows it lighter than the gloves (which are light gray).

Quote:
Also, the helmet, you could just go for a Richies Armor Y-wing pilot helmet if you didn't want to bother to make one yourself. They're not very accurate for RotJ Y-wing pilots but they would probably work pretty well for the simplified Rebels helmets.

The problem with using ROTJ Y-Wing helmets are in the details. The ROTJ helmet has the pill indent and circle indent on the left side, but not on the right. Additionally, it has an indent on the right side of the brow which doesnít appear in the Rebels design and doesnít have the grooves on the brow, either. The ROTJ has a vent groove on the back left of the helmet rim and lacks the indent on the back of the helmet. Unfortunately, this will have to be a custom design.

----------

Please see the first post for some changes now that I have HD pictures.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I suggested the Richies helmet is because it's missing some of the details that the RotJ Y-wing pilot helmet had, and other details are softer, which is why it's not a very accurate helmet. The slot on the back could be easily added. But whatever works. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dr. Morbius (Ingo Kaiser)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
You might head over to the 501st Armored Calvary and look up patterns for the Imperial Combat Driver suit because from what I can tell this concept art is the same suit as the Imperial Combat Driver-- same pockets, collar, and even has the same elbow commpad. Though I can't remember if the finished pilot model in Rebels had that elbow commpad or not... The gloves look like Imperial Combat Driver gloves, too, just in a different color. I'd wager that the animators just cloned the ICD model and changed a few things on it.

yes, true spoken. And you are very welcome to join us there hugs

Ingo, IS-50475, DXO of the Armored Cavalry
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepakura files just finished. Iíll be starting the build tomorrow. Between the parades, football games, and dinner (not counting the tryptophan coma afterwards), I should have things mostly finished by the end of the weekend. But, my timeline on the entire costume is the premier.

I know there are a couple of changes I need to make to the files to make them accurate. Itís mostly the chest box file.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking very promising. Nice job. Smile

Just one thing, though... The panel behind the chestbox, I think that's supposed to just be a piece of material, like the "bib" on the RotJ A-wing pilot flak vest. It even looks like it has stitching around it.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's armor on the males, but is not present on the females. It has a metallic face. I'm planning to not include it in the build, but make it a separate piece our of sintra.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 of 15 pages down.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: