Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=888a648d4cd4a99d9e87a13325c1ea5dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Options/recommendations for obi ROTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedi_keith ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Options/recommendations for obi ROTS Reply with quote

Brand new and just started building a Obi-wan ROTS cosplay. Not ready to buy a saber just yet but wanted to know what my options/your recommendations for a obi-wan ROTS. Not sure yet if I want one with sound, stunt, or just a belt hanger. So feel free to post any obi-wan ROTS that will pass approval.

Thanks
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are limited on this style of hilt. The Force FX ones have that aweful fat neck that just looks terrible, IMO.

I know Romans Empire did a small run of them, I have yet to see one in person so I can't say how accurate it is HOWEVER based on the quality and accurace of his ANH stuff, you would have little worry

http://romanprops.com/product/inception-fx-ready-empty-hilt/

Other than that, you are kind of limited to SF or US, which both are far from accurate AND the thin necks on them seem to have quality issues

You could try to find a MR but that thing is a heavy tank. EFX, I think, did a resin copy? I don't remember for sure but it may be worth a look

Hope it helps

Dave
jedi_keith ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the response. I appreciate it.

I agree 100% about the Force FX and it isn't even a option IMO

As far as SF and US go I didn't even know US made one unless I completely missed it on their site and SF I read threads about them and their poor service. Has this gotten any better? I know the threads were a few years old. I wonder in a obi-wan is still the same long turn around time as their "custom sabers"?

I'll have to look into the EFX and see.

Thanks again
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi-wan force-FX is not very accurate, but it is accepted, for some odd reason.
(the result of a blanket rule that says 'all force FX are allowed'; 'all ultimateFX' are not'; etc)

I know this won't really help you but the best obi-wan belt hanger IMO was the master replica "LE" model. it's a 1:1 copy, and it's "hollow" (so it doesn't weigh very much hanging on your belt). back in the day, this model was over-produced FAR above demand -- you could buy them for $200 c/w mirrored base&stand which, itself, was worth the price of admission. I bought 2 of them at this price (1 for display, 1 for costume). looking back in hindsight, this was an absolute steal. as unfortunately, these are long discontinued, and the "collector's value" has driven the price WAY up.

as Dave pointed out, eFX made a resin copy. I had one of these also. but it was incredibly fragile. the resin was brittle. it shattered, when I dropped it onto a carpeted floor, from a height of about 30 inches.. it broke into 5 pieces. these sold for around ~$99 and they were NOT worth the cost. I can't imagine very many of these EVEN survived.. but here again, if you can manage to find one, the "collector's value" makes it cost prohibitive for costuming.

the only other thing that comes to mind is Parks @~$225... but it's more of a "pristine Episode IV"
http://www.parksabers.com/mkiii.html
given the judges blanket acceptance of obi-wan "force FX" , I don't think this would be a problem.
this is a more convincing episode III saber, than the 'fat neck' force FX, which the judges accept without question.
(if you changed the bubble-strip and added the covertec wheel, you could convert it to episode III;
though for my money, I'd leave it as-is)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parks sabers MKIII and Dark Avenger are both styled after Obi-Wan's third saber.
jedi_keith ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Cobalt much appreciated. Was going to look into EFX but now wont bother.

I saw both the MKIII and Dark Avenger that parks has. What's the difference?

Yeah right now the best option I've seen is saberforge but not sure if I should even consider that route with the threads I read of everyone's bad service they had.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay far away from Saberforge, in my opinion, you will be better in the long run

If you are going to look at Parks, which is a glorified ANH saber, then look up Korbanth on FX Sabers. He is a Parks reseller/partner and is WAY easier to deal with than Jeff, again in my opinion.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=49068.0

or you can email him here - TRIOMIRETT@gmail.com. Great guy to deal with, so no worries with him.

Dave
DougD ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khal at KR Sabers (find him on Facebook) might have some of his run left as well. I have one of his and its nice.
Jedi Knight Obi (Chad Pulliam)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

What I did was Mod this ROTJ Luke style into Obi Wan ROTS style

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=25655.0

Do well.. you can get it looking like this Smile Mine looks similar but without the big bulky switch activation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT569GXoJeM

As stated.. the Obi Wan FX saber.. the original MR or the Hasbro are accepted when you apply for Obi Wan ROTS

Here is how mine turned out. I mostly hold mine. Got the Ultrsaber because they are good for long lasting battery. Last 4 hours or little more of one set of 3.75 Ultrafire rechargeable batteries. As for what I wear on my belt, I wear the Hasbro removable FX hilt. These are pricey now too because they are discontinued. Were around 100 bucks when they came out

NC Regional Captain-Eastern North Carolina 2011-201X

thehousejedi (Carl Grasso)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just picked up this:

http://romanprops.com/product/inception-fx-ready-empty-hilt/
501st Legion (IC/ID/IG/TI - 18420), New England Garrison - Green Mountain Squad: Imperial Bridge Crew, Tie-Pilot Reserve, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Security Bureau officer, Rogue One | In progress: FOTK Officer
Master John (John)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently got a Saberforge Redeemer Champion tier.

It is a pretty solid saber for dueling and it strongly resembles ROTS obi hilt(minor differences in dimensions).

I think they must have hired some new friendly people in customer service as it was a much less stressful experience than I was preparing myself for.

They are a bit pricey though and if you order through SF website you will probably be waiting about 2.5 to 3 months for it to arrive.

Hope this helps.
There is no death, there is the Force.
paulofcv ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I am thinking about doing a ROTS Obi Wan, but the saber is a problem. I'm from Brazil, and importing a saber is very expensive, the dolar rate exchange is very high at the moment, the import fee is 60%... I was looking for a local manufacturer.

I've found a guy, and this is the lightsaber he is doing. There's some problems, the rear grip has no texture, the activating plate is different, the fat neck... There's any chance of a lightsaber like this being approved?

Thanks, and may the force be with you! Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: