Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cfb396997965e5746d42088703abc5bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after taking some time to wrap my head around the diagram, I think your design will definitely work. but. like you said, it will be very thick where the 'wrap' is at the back. and I believe you\re overthinking it, because all that extra velcro is not really needed to keep it functionally "closed" -- it's a bit of 'overkill' I think -- it's really not necessary.. and in the end, it will be hard to take it off / put it on.

I had one of the belts I described above .. the wide belt was just a wrap around my body; and the narrow belt was a full strap, with a functional buckle to keep it all closed. and while this was 'screen accurate' I have to admit, it was a royal "P.I.A." to wear Razz

in the end, I converted it to be like my other belt(s):
I added velcro to the wide belt, to keep it closed.. and I cut the narrow belt in 2 halves, (attached them directly to the wide belt, as a non-functional 'decoration').

so basically the whole thing is held closed by the velcro on the wide belt. and the overlap is hidden by a loose belt keeper. (what you're calling 'the wrap'). it's just a 3-inch-wide "loop" of leather -- it slides on & off, with no velcro to keep it in place. I've found, it doesn't move around on its own, once the belt is tight around your body it stays in place. (so all that extra velcro on your 'wrap', is not really needed).

these are my jedi belts.
http://imageshack.com/a/img801/9311/smny.jpg
they all fasten the same way:
velcro on the wide belt to keep the whole thing closed; and a loose 'belt keeper' to hide the junction.
the narrow belt is attached to the wide belt as a 'nonfunctional' decoration...

...and all those pouches/food-capsules/whatnot, are held in place by 'gaffer's tape' on the inside of the belt Razz

this is the beauty part, which you will appreciate once you've trooped a few times:
depending on how you assemble the belt, you'll need to remove ALL this stuff, just to get the belt on each time. (this was my 'royal PIA') Razz

the way I've got it now, I can leave all that stuff in place on the belt (secured by gaffer's tape), and nothing gets in the way of the rear-closure. (simple velcro + loose belt keeper).

in the end, I've tried a few different methods, and this is what I've settled on Wink it works for me.

cheers.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your questions:

1. the industrial strength velcro (self-adhesive) + small rivets (one on each corner)
-or-
the industrial strength velcro (self-adhesive) + stitching (all the way around).
-or-
contact cement.

2. see previous post Wink cheers.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cobalt!!!!

Smile

Simplified is good. Smile I'll revisit the design asap, and consider your points carefully.

Only downside is I think I'll need to get some more leather for a new belt keeper (my brain kept failing to find the right term, grrr), and finish to hopefully match, as I think mine is too short, and there's not enough length to cut off another one.

Also I think I need some black or brown rivets... (I recall seeing pics of the originals, and they had some flat rivets exposed, IIRC, but not the normal kind, so I'll do some searching)
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you're making progress. Smile Be sure there is no visible velcro on the belt. That is one people miss part of the time.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so much progress is finally happening!

First off, though, I just wanted to post this quick picture of my tabards, since I forgot to before. These have the new "pinch seam" sewn into place, and velcro tabs on the bottom (pictured) which attach to matching tabs on top of my outer tunic shoulders, which really holds them in place nicely. Currently the two sides are sewn together in the middle, just a few quick stitches, but I'll probably replace that with a snap at some point.

I intend to do the same to the brown tabards I have (see post 1), so I can wear them as an alternate look, just swap the tabards and obi anytime I want to change it up a bit.

Now back to the belt.

Quick belt-related aside: This Skidmore's Leather Cream is my leather conditioner of choice. I use it as a final coat for all my leather pieces:

Now, thanks to Cobalt's advice, I gave up on my overly-complicated setup and just used 3M Industrial Velcro. The inside piece (hook side, facing out), which is not seen, is anchored by small rivets in the corners, which seems to work nicely. The part on the outside part of the belt overlap, which faces in (soft loop side), is saddle stitched into place. Overkill, I know, but I prefer traditional 2 needle saddle stitching for everything, since it's so much stronger than the hook stitching from sewing awls, etc.

(also pictured there is the cheap faux "buckle" from the crap CosplaySky pleather belt, which I'll be using temporarily until I find something I like better)

With the Velcro in place, and nicely fitting, I went about attaching the skinny outer belt to the big inner belt. I again saddle stitched the attachment point at the rear, as you can see is in progress here

And here is the belt, fully attached on both sides:

Here is the belt closed in the back. No visible velcro, you'll note. Wink (although there will be a keeper over this part anyway) If I end up losing weight, and need to tighten the belt, I can just add more soft Velcro on the back, facing in, and extend the side stitching to secure it. Hopefully I won't gain too much, although I'll have a little bit of play, with the keeper covering the join. It can probably expand an inch (leaving an inch of exposed Velcro for the keeper to conceal) and still hold securely enough.

Next step was to put in the button studs. I located the belt's center point (ignoring the part that overlaps, so right at the 21" mark), and measured out the spacing I wanted for the studs closest to (and supporting) the buckle area, then centered the remaining studs accordingly. I was kind of winging this part, since there doesn't seem to be any firm guidelines, so hopefully I'll like the end result! Here the studs are sitting in their approximate position, and I used a piece of scrap to actually punch holes into the get the spacing that holds the skinny outer belt dialed in, to use as a template.

And finally, here is the completed belt. Finally!

The keepers by the buckle (which I just bought from Tandy, rather than cutting my own) need another coat of dye and seal, and then they're all set.

I started on keeper / cover for the back of the belt, using the piece I cut off the main belt previously, for a perfect match of stain. I just need to stitch the ends together to close the loop, and it'll just slide on.

Next step: Pouches. There's no specific guidance in the CRL, it just says:

"2. Jedi Pouches: Two (or more) utility pouches or resin cast utility boxes. ( Leather or leather-like material or resin cast boxes, as seen in the Star Wars universe. )
a. The paint scheme on resin cast boxes should blend well with the overall costume.
b. Bags are not pouches, and are not permitted to serve as a pouch/box option."

So pretty much any semi-sane belt-mounted pouch should do, yes? (two or more of them, that is) I figure one that will be smaller and hold my phone nicely (ha!) and a somewhat larger one for general holding.

As soon as the pouches are done, I do believe I'll be ready to take some submission photos. Smile
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the belt keeper for the back closure last night.

The piece of belt I had for the keeper was a wee bit too short, it turned out, so I cut a little piece of scrap leather into a spacer and just stitched it into place, which worked out great. It's inside, so you don't see it anyway. (or the hole that was at the end of the big belt, which is why I cut that end off, of course)

Next it was onto the pouches. First I needed to decide on a general design, and I decided to go with sort of the top flap utility pouch pouch style used in the prequel trilogy, somewhat along the lines of the ones described in this tutorial thread:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44773

One of the primary things I'll be putting in a pouch, in this day and age, is my cellphone, so I decided to base the pouch size around that, to make sure it was big enough (but not too massive). I first sized things with a mock-up out of craft foam, just playing with a piece I had because I knew that I generally wanted a 5" tall pouch:

Once I knew the general size, I cut a piece for a template, sized with enough width to hold the biggest cellphone I could imagine owning:

And finally, I cut some leather for the pouch. I've had this lovely burgundy leather for over a decade, waiting for an appropriate project to use it on, so it's nice to finally use it for something! On the downside, whatever dye was on it bleeds like a mofo, so if it's going anywhere near my creamy white robes, I'm going to need to seal the heck out of it. Coats 1 and 2 are done, and I'll likely add a third. I need to cut straps for belt loops, and then I can start stitching the sides to the main pouch. I'll cut the final shape of the top flap once I see how it all comes together.

One more pouch and I'm good to go!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the closure on the belt turned out great. nicely done.

re: snaps on the tabbards.
http://imageshack.com/a/img5/1566/rehl.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img708/1230/lzm5.jpg
I go one step further.

in addition to the snap at the middle/waist to keep the 2 halves joined together..
..I also join them across the sides of the body with cloth elastic waistband, to form a makeshift 'belt'.

this forms a functional "vest" -- it wears like a single garment.

(benefit: keeps everything naturally "centered" so the tabbards don't migrate side-to-side when you wear them).
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/3584/akjs.jpg
(makes it super-easy to get dressed. just fasten the center-snap on the tabbards,
and everything is naturally centered by equal tension left-to-right -- front AND rear,
the tabbards naturally find the center and stay there -- like wearing a vest)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cobalt. Smile I'm quite pleased with how the belt turned out.

And Ha! I actually found that pic in another thread, and saved it for reference. That's where I decided to add the snap at the center. I hadn't decided on whether to do the side bands or not yet, but I still might, at some point. Definitely something that falls into the "future upgrades" department. Wink
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems I'm always posting the same pics over and over Razz one of these days I'll update my imageshack account and upload some new photos. LOL
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: What are the rules governing fabrics?

Colors are well covered, but aside from face characters, I don't see much guidance on permissible fabric types. I had assumed any nice natural fabric with the generally correct appearance is fine.

Biggest question is the robe... I was speaking to someone this weekend and they seemed to think my plan to use linen wouldn't be approvable since they believed it HAD to be wool. Is that correct, or would a nice heavy brown linen (or cotton?) be ok?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linen is fine.

KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk) is the line-robe-Guru...
(she was advocating linen robes, even before she became an LCJ) Wink
she can answer any questions about fabric weight or whatever.

IIRC, the biggest drawback is the wrinkles.
cotton and linen robes are prone to wrinkles, so you're just forever ironing them..
..meanwhile, I have 2 wool robes, and I've never actually "ironed" either one of them.
(you can just hang it in a steamy bathroom to get the wrinkles out).

also, for me it's just about the "look" of wool --
wool "moves" better, and has a better flow and drape to it...
...but cotton , often looks like wrinkled bedsheet -- kind of 'stiff', it doesn't flow like it's supposed to.
(it doesn't "move" the same as wool).

http://imageshack.com/a/img593/7412/zxcn.jpg

^^ for example, when I took this reference pic, the robe was in motion (slightly).
I set the 2-second timer, and I stepped away from the camera;
the shutter clicked while the robe was 'billowing' behind me, as I walked toward the wall.

^^ this kind of billowing drape doesn't happen from cotton. only from wool. (and linen).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Robe has been ordered. (in Linen) Very Happy

Life has been busy of late, but I finally managed to finish pouch #1. I'll knock out a smaller one asap so I can finally submit, but at least the one nice one is completely done. I need to take some pics showing the magnetic closure, but this one is fully complete, at least.

Here's the main part of the pouch, with the front flap shaped, grooved and re-sealed. Also the belt loops have been prepped:

Saddle stitching the side panels on. Belt loops have been stitched (on top, at least, perhaps I'll stitch the bottom as well someday) and riveted on:

And here is the completed pouch, but for the magnetic closures:

And the back with belt loops:

Closed pouch (rubberbanded since I had not yet installed the closures at this point):

And the full belt. Magnetic closures installed, though I forgot to photograph it. One more pouch to go, then submission photos! Very Happy

Do I need to take new RL submission photos once my Jedi robe arrives, for the costume modification, or just wear and go troop?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to take new submission photos for the addition of a robe.
once approved, your costume profile can be edited later to add more pics.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone is likely as interested in pouches as I am, but at least I can keep a nice log of my progress here. Smile

Here is the promised shot of the main utility pouch, showing that it closes with dual magnetic closures, so no mechanism is visible while the pouch is closed:

After spending a fairly obscene amount of time mucking about with the belt and first pouch, I knocked out the second pouch in under two days, starting Friday evening and finishing Saturday evening. (admittedly, the final gluing of the magnetic latch dried overnight to Sunday morning.) I just used some random leather I've had forever, since I didn't want to use good carving leather in a simple little pouch, and I wanted to use a different leather from the main utility pouch, for variety.

Here's the new small pouch, in progress, 3/4 stitched around, plus the belt loop before I attached it:

Finished Side:

Finished Front:

Finished back (belt loop is both saddle stitched and riveted into place):

Magnetic closure:

FINALLY DONE!!!

So here is the full belt:

Closeup of final buckle area, since I changed the buckle from cheap CosplaySky "fake" buckle to a nice metal one that actually opens and closes:

And now that everything is done, and I COULD shoot photos tonight, now I want to sew at the darker tabards a bit to add the bend (like I did with the lighter colored ones), so I can do a final check as to which I like better. Then I'll shoot some submission pics and see if everything passes!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pouches are looking very nice. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: