Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f7c2ffefe6d377f70bebea6aea18c832Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mustafar Padme build and questions on standards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Mustafar Padme build and questions on standards Reply with quote

Hello all! I am currently working on putting together Padme's Mustafar costume from Episode 3. I had a few questions in regards to the costume/hair etc and was hoping to get feedback here before I proceed.

I have worn this costume before (not to RL standards) and have done the hair. I wanted to know if this works or if there are any changes that need to be made to it. I can definitely make the buns look smaller with hair spray ahd attached the leather piece when finished.

These are the boots I wore with the costume. The higher portion can be folded in so that the boot is all one length around the leg. Will that work or will new boots need to be purchased?

The leggings are American Apparel cream colored leggings. If I make the fake seam, as many people have done, will that work?

I was looking at this seamstress for the actual top/harness. It appears to meet approval. She claims to have received approval for her costumes before although I have not seen any RL reviews verifying that claim. She has several that have been 501st approved so just wanted to double check.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/250327588/padme-amidala-inspiration-custom-costume?ref=market

The listing has several up close shots of the seams etc and I know that those are very important so wanted to confirm before purchasing it.

Lastly, and I know its a silly question, how "pregnant" do you have to look to be approved? I am obviously not but know that you have to appear as such to be approved. Will a round pillow tied around the stomach suffice?

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as looking pregnant goes, I use a round pillow that ties behind my back. It's a decent size - enough to look like I'm carrying twins - and it has actually fooled a number of people! Razz
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEU002 wrote:
As far as looking pregnant goes, I use a round pillow that ties behind my back. It's a decent size - enough to look like I'm carrying twins - and it has actually fooled a number of people! Razz

That's what I was hoping would work! Thanks for the tip. And you were approved like that, with the pillow?

Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a start, I think your hair is going to be neater in back. I feel a bit iffy about the boots being made of two different materials, even if you fold the top front down. It would be good to have another judge's opinion on that one.

Your leggings look good, but you're going to need a fake front-center and back-center seam on each leg. You can easy make that by pinching the fabric to the inside and making an extra seam there.

The arm bands need to be longer, reaching all the way up to your mid-bicep and down to your knuckles, without the gathered elastic.

It's hard to tell in your photo, but do you have the /\ seam under your bust line?

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
As a start, I think your hair is going to be neater in back. I feel a bit iffy about the boots being made of two different materials, even if you fold the top front down. It would be good to have another judge's opinion on that one.

Your leggings look good, but you're going to need a fake front-center and back-center seam on each leg. You can easy make that by pinching the fabric to the inside and making an extra seam there.

The arm bands need to be longer, reaching all the way up to your mid-bicep and down to your knuckles, without the gathered elastic.

It's hard to tell in your photo, but do you have the /\ seam under your bust line?

I will definitely make sure that I have the hair need her when I attempt it again. Thank you for that. The pants also are an easy fix and I can do that this weekend.

The top and arm bands that I am wearing in the photo are not to standards. This was a costume I had made several years ago. What I need to know is if the listing that I posted the link for above (on Etsy) would be acceptable . Does it match the standards and what is needed? It looks like all the seam detail and everything else is correct but as I am not the most experienced of seamstresses, I wanted a second or third opinion.

Costume Mentor
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jenna's comments. The boots look good in general, but the difference in texture might make it look strange for this costume.

As for the listing it looks pretty good, but it also looks like the arm bands/gloves/sleeves have a gathering elastic in the top, and there's no telling the length of them from that photo. It's all about fit, after all.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Kesra (Samantha Ash)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still new here but I do have a lot of experience with cosplay. For the arm warmers, if you wind up wanting to make sure they don't slide down what you could do is take a pair of panty hose (No control top), cut a hole in the center for your head and pull it over you like a shirt (cut out the feet of course) and then sew the arm bands to it in the proper position. Then you won't have to worry about them sliding down your arms.

It'll also make your arms look super toned (Not saying you need it. I just mean that in general.
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
KEU002 wrote:

That's what I was hoping would work! Thanks for the tip. And you were approved like that, with the pillow?

Sorry, I just saw this! Yes, I was approved with a pillow: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=9539&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

Also, for the arm bands, you could always use a bit of double sided fabric tape to keep them up your arms!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I agree with Jenna's comments. The boots look good in general, but the difference in texture might make it look strange for this costume.

As for the listing it looks pretty good, but it also looks like the arm bands/gloves/sleeves have a gathering elastic in the top, and there's no telling the length of them from that photo. It's all about fit, after all.

Thanks for the input. I'll look for different boots.

Aside from the elastic on the sleeves, it appears to be correct? I can make the necessary adjustments so that the sleeves don't have that.

Any suggestions on how to make the side buns neater? I currently use portions of my own hair and braid in a synthetic braid to my own hair to get the correct length. The side buns were bobby pinned ponytail wraps. I was thinking of making them out of Kanekalon (similar to what I did with Padme's Geonosis hair) but wondered if there were any other suggestions.

Thanks for all the help!

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEU002 wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:
KEU002 wrote:

Also, for the arm bands, you could always use a bit of double sided fabric tape to keep them up your arms!

Is that what you did? Just made the armbands and put in no elastic? If double sided tape works, then that is genius and I will do the same.

Thanks for the info on the pillow. I'm going to have to go that route myself. LOL

Costume Mentor
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kesra wrote:
I'm still new here but I do have a lot of experience with cosplay. For the arm warmers, if you wind up wanting to make sure they don't slide down what you could do is take a pair of panty hose (No control top), cut a hole in the center for your head and pull it over you like a shirt (cut out the feet of course) and then sew the arm bands to it in the proper position. Then you won't have to worry about them sliding down your arms.

It'll also make your arms look super toned (Not saying you need it. I just mean that in general.

Now THAT is a genius idea. I would not have thought to do that. Any particular brand of pantyhose that you recommend?

Costume Mentor
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general it looks good, but it's so hard when you're not seeing it on a person.
Before you decide to buy I would recommend you to ask about the length of the sleeves. Then you can measure your own arms and see if it's long enough. Same with length of dress. You don't want something too short. (Too long is an easy fix, too short is money out the window).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
KEU002 wrote:

Is that what you did? Just made the armbands and put in no elastic? If double sided tape works, then that is genius and I will do the same.

Thanks for the info on the pillow. I'm going to have to go that route myself. LOL

Actually mine are tight enough on me that I don't need anything to keep them up, and I do not have elastic in mine, either. I just know that other people have used/recommended double sided tape before.
Kesra (Samantha Ash)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Kesra wrote:

Now THAT is a genius idea. I would not have thought to do that. Any particular brand of pantyhose that you recommend?

None specific. Just make sure they're not control top (You know, that shorts thing in the top of panty hose that enable them to 'suck you in' so to speak? Yeah you don't want that.) and close to your natural skin color (So no super tan ones.)

If you want this to be something you can reuse, you can use fray check on the edges to try to stave off running for as long as you can.
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumpin in on this one - I have a question about the boots too.

Do they have to be suede or leather? I've seen leather (or fake leather) approved, but the standards say "suede". Maybe I'm confused about the difference between the two Rolling Eyes

Also, do they have to be knee-length or can they be a bit shorter?

~ RLGS Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: