Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b06c2f90f11f28e652848e1734da9b6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Proposal TFA General Leia costume standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in the grey-ish jumpsuit camp. We all know (very well!!!) that costume color sometimes appears a different color with lighting, photo enhancement, etc., than what appears in the films. The "is it grey or is it green" Imperial Officer is a good example. (It's green.)

Maybe it should be listed as either grey or light sage green for now. When the movie is released in April, I anticipate some changes on some of the TFA costume standards in progress.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani's source of information saw it in person, up close. Several times, so it's not conjecture.

But, I agree that "sage" is too vague, or too American, and others might not understand. And, sage green can come in shades, too.

We could call it "grayish green or muted sage green" to indicate it's not bright green. Better to be too gray than too green for sure.
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a "muted sage green" or "light greyish green" sounds fine to me as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll is open for detachment vote for the next 7 days. (until Friday, March 4)
MrTexas (Chris Hummel)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
Kallabeccani wrote:
I am still finding it hard that the jumpsuit is grey.... I will go with grey but every reference photo looks light sage green to me. But I might know a few people I could ask who would know for definite what color it is.

Here's your photo:

Thank you for the information that it is SAGE GREEN, not gray. That's an excellent photo.

Is that a pocket on the sleeve? It's too big to be just the cuff folded back.

This is actually an oil painting and not a photo Razz
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTexas wrote:
Granny-Wan wrote:
Kallabeccani wrote:
I am still finding it hard that the jumpsuit is grey.... I will go with grey but every reference photo looks light sage green to me. But I might know a few people I could ask who would know for definite what color it is.

Here's your photo:

Thank you for the information that it is SAGE GREEN, not gray. That's an excellent photo.

Is that a pocket on the sleeve? It's too big to be just the cuff folded back.

This is actually an oil painting and not a photo Razz

Razz back at you... did you know if you leave your tongue stuck out like that a bird will come along and land on it? Or so my grandma used to say... Wink

We have information from someone who was IN the movie, and spent a lot time standing next the general on set. He says it was sage green. I saw the movie again yesterday, and I agree.

Besides, the standard has already been voted on, I'm just waiting for LMO to sign off on it.
MrTexas (Chris Hummel)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, I like birds!

Ya the guy that painted it sent a message to Facebook asking us not to use his pictures, just pointing out that ist a picture!

Carry on Ben
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTexas wrote:
haha, I like birds!

Ya the guy that painted it sent a message to Facebook asking us not to use his pictures, just pointing out that ist a picture!

Carry on Ben

Good to know! I'll take it off the standard post, plan on using screen shots anyway.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the standards post to this:

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTexas wrote:
haha, I like birds!

Carry on Ben

So... that PHOTO (not an oil painting) is in the Visual Dictionary. So, someone's pulling your leg, most likely.

We've never had a problem using photos from the books as references.
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All! I apologize if this isn't the right thread to post this, but I have a couple of questions, and I'm completely new to this. I'm working on this costume, but I wanted some clarification before I dive completely in (so I don't have to go back and fix things later).

There are a couple of things I noticed about the screen costume that aren't listed in the approved standards -- does that mean they are not required? For example, the vest has a collar - but the standards do not specify the vest much have a collar. Does it need a collar to be considered acceptable? If it's not required, is it okay to have one?

Also -- the sleeve pocket appears in close up shots to be "stitched" into 4 or 5 segments (probably for holding access canisters) - it's not required to be this way on the standards, but is it OK if it is?

Boots -- I have a pair that has a small buckle on the top, but are otherwise acceptable -- would that be accepted per standards? It doesn't specify that they must be plain..

Again, I'm sorry if these are dumb questions -- I'm so eager to get started but want to do it right! Thank you!! Very Happy
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
Hi All! I apologize if this isn't the right thread to post this, but I have a couple of questions, and I'm completely new to this. I'm working on this costume, but I wanted some clarification before I dive completely in (so I don't have to go back and fix things later).

There are a couple of things I noticed about the screen costume that aren't listed in the approved standards -- does that mean they are not required? For example, the vest has a collar - but the standards do not specify the vest much have a collar. Does it need a collar to be considered acceptable? If it's not required, is it okay to have one?

Also -- the sleeve pocket appears in close up shots to be "stitched" into 4 or 5 segments (probably for holding access canisters) - it's not required to be this way on the standards, but is it OK if it is?

Boots -- I have a pair that has a small buckle on the top, but are otherwise acceptable -- would that be accepted per standards? It doesn't specify that they must be plain..

Again, I'm sorry if these are dumb questions -- I'm so eager to get started but want to do it right! Thank you!! Very Happy

No questions are "dumb" when researching a costume build. Please continue to ask - there are great folks here that are eager to help you!

I am also building (actually, re-building) this costume.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71366

Vest: From several of the pictures, there is a collar. I'm building mine with one. Also, the back "yoke" has a center seam (you can see it in the movie when she's hugging Rey).

Sleeve pocket: I built mine similar to what you are describing, but mostly out of necessity. I had some fabric in storage, but not really as much as I needed. Basically, I pieced this pocket together, so it looks much like it has "segments."

Boots: Mine also have a small buckle at the top, but I'm planning to cut mine down a couple of inches, as I think the boot shaft is too tall. That will eliminate the buckle.

You should probably start your own WIP thread, so the folks here can give you some feedback. Have fun with your build!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:

Things need to "SCREEN ACCURATE" which is the phrase we use to keep from having to list every detail. Especially when it comes to things that are not allowed, we'd be listing things all day long. Wink

So, yes the vest needs to have the little collar we see. Same with the boots, Leia's boots don't have a buckle on them, so yours shouldn't either.

Those are actually good questions, BTW! Always good to clear things up.
Rebel Alliance Barbie (Monique)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, just FYI, after spending a ton of time pouring over the ring and going over it with other jewelry designers, the ring is almost *definitely* not silver. I would bet my money on brass. Regardless of what metal it is, it's gold in color, not silver.
StarWarsDave (Dave Turnbull)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel Alliance Barbie wrote:
Hey guys, just FYI, after spending a ton of time pouring over the ring and going over it with other jewelry designers, the ring is almost *definitely* not silver. I would bet my money on brass. Regardless of what metal it is, it's gold in color, not silver.

Agree. It is definitely gold; I believe flat gold. I made my wife's ring using a brass rod, which matches really close.

Also, for length of the vest, my wife's goes just below the crotch, which matches Leia's. However, it was rejected as being too short. What is the length requirement?

Sage green for the jumper for sure. Lighting and camera filters have made numerous shades through the many scenes, so I think there needs to be a range of shades acceptable for Sage Green. Color was denied for hers:

I hand-made the buckle, using sheet steel.

I do need to add the left arm pocket.
www.facebook.com/SWDsCosplay
www.starwarsdave.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: