Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d4f6656a6811750e470f070ee9a40ecbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anyone ever heard of Kyberlight saber?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Anyone ever heard of Kyberlight saber? Reply with quote

I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this lightsaber (Kyberlight kickstarter campaign), or knows anyone involved with it and if they are reliable? I notice on their page that they have met their goal and promise delivery in August.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45074980/kyberlight-the-greatest-custom-lightsabers-in-the/description

Your focus determines who you are.
rlobrecht ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$200 for a combat capable saber with sound is a great price, but the indestructible claim for the blades is a bit much.

Never heard of them, though.
merseyjedi ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Kickstarter so there's always an element of the unknown involved..... I've been on this since day 1 and I've been very impressed with the way they've handled everything...

At the moment I'll be getting a lightsaber and 22 customizable parts if they hit all of their stretch goals.... I'll take that for $299
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been fond of just donating money to a company without a return on investment, a fan film is one thing but essentially your giving them money and that's it. 'Give us money so we can make a cool saber to sell you on top of the money you gave us to make them'
Lupus ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the difference to TCSS might be as you can get lots of parts, electronics and blades too. Besides that there are lots of custom saber smiths already out there for those who don't wanna build it themselves, be it VV, Saberforge, JQsabers, etc.

Some are pricy, others offer deals for lower budgets. But in general you get what you pay for. High end things and good workmanship will cost a lot. Also TCSS has some nice kits even electronics mostly ready to stick them together which makes it easy to use for beginners too.

So far they promise a lot but don't give real information. Bright blade, well it depends. VV offers e.g. a durable combat blade which is a bit less bright than standard blades, also there are so many different blades which effect the lighting of the saber a lot. I have different sabers and blades from different manufacturers and they vary greatly in how they affect the brightness of each. One of the brightest I currently have comes from a German vendor. But I guess if one would install a photon blade it might be a lot different with that too. The same goes for the LED, no word about which they wanna use. Much brightness is nice but might come for a price like using up the battery a lot faster.

Also they say nothing about which kind of electronics they use, like soundboards from which source? PL makes for example really good ones but even his cost 50-100 bucks depending what you wanna have or can afford.

The same goes for the quality of the hilt parts. Are they 3D printed, casted and how much effort do their workers spend in making them "perfect". They won't work for nothing, won't they?

299$ seems a very bold promise and I wonder how they wanna reach it with having the best inside whats on the market.

So all in all I would rather wait for their finished product before spending money just on some promises without many details how they want to achieve all this.
thehousejedi (Carl Grasso)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they give super minimal information on their sound card. looks like it's one swing sound and one clash sound. that'll get old real quick. in my opinion, the quality of the soundboard is way more important that the hilt. you can move the electronics into a better hilt later.
501st Legion (IC/ID/IG/TI - 18420), New England Garrison - Green Mountain Squad: Imperial Bridge Crew, Tie-Pilot Reserve, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Security Bureau officer, Rogue One | In progress: FOTK Officer
Past (Audrey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it seems like a bit farfetched to promise all this for 299$...

Mass produced sabers with regular blades and a basic sound board are in the 200$ range.

It seems like a very interesting project, I'm curious to see what they come up with, and if the quality is there in the end I might consider buying one when they set up a real shop. But I've seen too many kickstarter fall through to risk gambling my money like that for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: