Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6f5eb8fd74ef9de8d185bca2bf70d79Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

approach on building, an x wing pilot chest box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shayvidas ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: approach on building, an x wing pilot chest box Reply with quote

hi,
i want to make the box as accurate as i can, without vacuum forming it off course,

i had an idea of taking some sheets of foam, stacking them together,
then cut the shape out of that,
and then i really had a great shape to work with
and very accurate.
but you then to give it strength and something for the paint to glue to,

so i thought to put some paper mache, on top of it,
but that didn't really work

thought about putting some card box on top of it, but then when you have all the grooves, and corners, you'll have to use more pieces of cardbox and it won't be smooth nor look professional IMP .

what do you think on the foam base approach ? what do you think i should put as something on top to make it hard, and paintable ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc57R8brWBKyZ7LGyez1MCQ

i show there how i made all my Star wars cosplays,

* Have a Great DAY !!

* Do what feels good...
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression from your posts that you want to make many of the costume items yourself because you are on a tight budget.
It is possible that you can save some money by doing it yourself, however purchasing all of the materials you will need to make some of these items may not save you very much and the end results may not be as nice as you would like.
The chest box has many components to it and will be a lot of work to make, and may even cost you as much if not more than just purchasing a finished one.

Having said that, if you really want to build one yourself here are a couple ways you can do it.

The least expensive way (and most recommended for a beginner) would be to use flat sheet styrene and cut out all of the panel pieces and glue them all together like a model kit.
(FYI: The R2 Builders are building 80 percent of a complete Astromech droid replicas with this method.)

If you have the ability to watch youtube videos, I recommend watching the two videos below for ways to use either flexible foam or rigid expanded polystyrene foam to make the main components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwQg6CX25A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWkch-QEGkI

David L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: