Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f5bcef4d5fb9178607c302faba210adbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New Standard] Jedi Rey Costume Standard - Second Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: [New Standard] Jedi Rey Costume Standard - Second Costume Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

The Costume Standards Committee has proposed the new standard about Jedi Rey Costume Standard - Second Costume [/b]

Author: Jedi-DWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)

Debate time: 2 weeks

End Date: 05/04/2016

In this thread all members of the Detachment can contribute their ideas, suggestions and modifications

Modifications:

Update
New

Jedi Rey Costume Standard - Second Costume

Vest
The vest should be a coating weight grey wool (ideally a large scale herringbone) with the

following details:

● Curved padded shoulder detail with five ridges
● Two curved seams in the back, topstitched
on both sides
● Closed blanket stitch edge finishing
● The vest should hit at the upper hip with a peplum from the waist seam
● The collar should have two seams, one on each side, with topstitching
on both sides of the seam. The collar is an extension of the other vest pieces, not attached separately.
● No front princess seams
● No visibly hemmed edges
● Lining of a stiff, solid colored fabric (optional but recommended)

Shirt

The shirt should be made from a natural cream colored fabric with a wrap detail in front.

● The wrap detail should be left over right
● Fabric should be thick enough/layered such that there’s no visible wrap line under the top layer.
● The shirt should be longer than the vest and come over the hips

Optional: The collar on the shirt (

Pants

The pants should be made from brown twill, cotton, denim, or like fabric.

● The pants are closely fitted and the full length comes to just below the knee
● The knee pads have five ridges and are hexagonal in shape
● The pants should have a side slit at the outside of the knee that goes about half way up the knee pad
● Weathering of the knee pads (optional but recommended)

Colors: brown/grey/olive/taupe range

Arms:

The lower arm gauntlets should be made from the same wool as the vest, and the upper wrap should be in a stretch fabric of a similar shade of grey.

● The gauntlets should go from just below the elbow to the knuckles of the fingers and be fairly closely fitted.
● The padded section should have seven ridges and be flat by the wrist, but rounded going over the elbow
● The wool by the fingers should have a scalloped edge
● The upper arm wraps should go below the elbow so as to not show extra skin, and reach to the upper arm
● The wraps should be made of a textured, natural fabric that complements your vest. Stretch fabric recommended for mobility.
● The end of the wrap should be tucked in to keep the wraps secure

Hair

Hair should be done in Rey’s typical threeknob hairstyle. The knobs should be three small, mostly neat loops starting high on the back of the head and evenly spaced to the bottom.

● Optional: dark brown strips of wool tied around the base of each knob.
Boots Dark brown with a gray undertone and made of a cotton/wool weave,

● Medium to light brown sole (slightly lighter than the main boot)
● The boot ends just above the ankle.
● The heel of the shoe is leather, leather like or cork but is the same brown tone as the fabric of the shoe.
● There are brown leather or leatherlike straps (two on each side) and a strip of leather or leatherlike the same as the heel that goes up the back of the boot.
● The boot is laced in the back by threading the dark leather or twine lacing through the straps and across the strip in the back of the boot. Ends of the laces are then tucked in so as not to be seen.

Belt

The belt is a dark brown leather or thick leather like material that can hold the weight of the holster without sagging.

● It should be made from one piece that splits on the side into the two belts
● The top belt is a little thinner in width than the bottom belt by no more than ½” (1.27cm).
● The belt should have a twine detail on the front that wraps all the way around a few times, and then a few times only around the lower belt. There is also a twine wrap around only the upper belt in the back.
● The top belt should fit snugly around the waist and the bottom belt hangs at the hip on the right.
● The belts have a D ring on the right side (used to take belt on and off) The d ring should sit to the side and slightly behind the front hip bone. DRing is secured on one end (the one for the front) by an X stitch, the other end loops through the dring and then weaves in and out of the belt in two places that are slit (2 slits per place) in the back to secure the end.
● All currently approved Rey Scavenger from Jakku Belts are permitted

Optional Items

Staff

○ The staff should be proportional to the costumer’s height. It should be about 68” (15.24 cm to 20.32cm) above the head of the costumer when held straight up. Staff has a dark brown or black strap attached with rusted buckles. Staff is extremely detailed and will be compared to the photo references to determine closeness in detailing for approval. Staff is weathered.

Crossbody satchel

○ The satchel is an olive green weathered canvas with a matching weathered shoulder strap. It should be worn crossbody.

Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber

NN14 blaster

Holster

The holster should match the belt in color and material.

● The holster hangs from the lower rung of the belt
● The holster fits the NN14 blaster
● At the bottom of the holster is a thin leather strip that holds it fitted around the leg

Shirt

The collar on the shirt. The shirt may have a collar

New Images

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=617154&d=1461200848
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=616955&d=14611629
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=612204&d=1460018412

Thank you Lisa for the New proposal and congratulations for new Rey Smile

Best Regards!!!!
•BCO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 18
•BPRO Cruz del Sur Base 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2015
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14

Last edited by Oraculo (Agustín) on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 7 times in total
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to all the research I've done, this all looks great to me!

I'll be remaking mine in the fall after I've delivered my padawan and have lost a few pounds. Mine would have passed save for the princess seams in the front, which we thought it had for a while.

Two quick thoughts: If we are requiring the holster, perhaps we need to require the blaster? Seems silly to have an empty holster lol.

The shirt does have a collar. I know it's hard to tell, but it does. Are we going to require that?

Oh, and the padded region of the gauntlets have 6 ridges, not 7.

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/

Last edited by JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend) on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
aurorahermione

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the seam above the knee pads be required on the pants?
For the knee pads, is there a shot that shows the hexagon pattern? I thought it was an oval with flat sides (if that makes sense), so i guess similar but with curves instead of angles.
I self lined my vest (because it didn't have the right "heft" with just one layer), is that ok? As far as I can tell, the vest is self lined in the film.
Thanks! I'm working on getting my costume right and it's driving me nuts because it's so hard to get good details from the film because she wears it so briefly. I've spent way too much time sitting pausing the blu ray!
SalIMakeMusic (Sal Perales)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the pants are brown. They look much closer to an olive or greenish color than brown.

The pants look closer in color to the straps on her bag than the brown of the holster.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the rings on the belt D's, or rounded edge rectangles? Or does it matter?

How exact to the Po-Zu boots will be required?
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
According to all the research I've done, this all looks great to me!

Two quick thoughts: If we are requiring the holster, perhaps we need to require the blaster? Seems silly to have an empty holster lol.

Blasters have to be optional because in many countries they are against the law to carry even if they are fake.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer
  • Temple Master Tosche Temple Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt:

Thought long and hard on this. the vest completely covers the belt on the side where it comes together. Are you going to require me as a judge to ask the applicant to remove the vest so I can make sure it is one piece and has the twine? Especially when this section of the belt is never and will never be seen for this outfit?

Seems to me it would be easier to say the belt comes together on the left side and is split into two on the right.

At the least the line: "All currently approved Rey Scavenger from Jakku Belts are permitted" should be added.

Gauntlets: To me what you are calling ridges is really a quilting stitch on padded material. The knee pads are also quilted. This is much like the stitching done on the Hoth outfits for the Leia, Han and Luke vests. This is the same quilting that is on the Rey Vest.

Colors: We know from the interviews with the costume designers that Grays were reserved for the Imperial side of things. Also in the photos you can see that the fabrics can look brown. My guess is the true color of the vest may be a grayish blue with brown undertones.

• MEB Membership Officer
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
RogueWic ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Finale Rey standards Reply with quote

Thank you for all your hard work on the standards. I have a few thoughts I would like to share. Unfortunately, I am a better seamstress and pattern maker than I am a computer whiz. I am not sure I got the pictures to appear so I put in the links.

Vest: The vest does not appear to be lined, or if it is, it is self lined. I believe it is made of boiled, blanket weight herringbone wool which would give it enough heft that it would not need to be lined. The color seems to gray rather than brown or blue. The collar, per this photo from the RPF, suggests that it is not actually sewn together at the seam. Rather, it has a piece behind the opening for support and a decorative stitch across the opening.

[img]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=617154&d=1461200848[/img]

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=617154&d=1461200848

Shirt: As JediJainaSolo pointed out, the shirt has a collar. It also has a curved back yoke, similar to the one on General Leia’s vest. This photo (albeit grainy) from the RPF shows it.

[img]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=616955&d=14611629[/img]

Pants: I agree with auroraheroine that the pads on the pants are oval rather than hexagonal and that there is a seam above the pads. They appear to be quilted over a thin batting. (Photo from the RPF)

[img]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=612204&d=1460018412[/img]

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=612204&d=1460018412

Satchel: I would describe the color as more of a greenish brown than an olive. (Photo from the RPF)

[img]http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=616955&d=14611629[/img]

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts. It is nice to find a community as obsessed with the details as I am.
Brinstar ()

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, all. I just wanted to add a couple of photos that may aid the discussion regarding pants color, which for me has been one of the more frustrating elements of this costume. To me, they appear to be on the greyer side of taupe, especially in the behind-the-scenes footage and photos. Thanks for your consideration! Smile (And I apologize if these photos do not appear, or appear large - I'm a little new to posting photos as well!)

Edit to add a couple more (and I apologize for the quality of these).

spectreseven ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Cross-body satchel and holster Reply with quote

Not sure how specific it's worth getting in the standard, but the cross-body satchel is two-tone, with the bottom part brown-ish and the top part more of an olive green. There is a seam in the middle of the bag that separates the two fabrics.

Also, for those building the holster, you can get a general sense of the shape from the film but the action figure is especially helpful for figuring out the pattern:

[/img]
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some hi-res details from the DVD that might help.http://kissthemgoodbye.net/movie/thumbnails.php?album=478&page=11

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have the Po-Zu boots and can say that they aren't wool, but have a wool look (this was huge for me as I have a wool allergy). The heel and lacing tabs are made out of cork, but look like dark brown leather. The one big difference in your description is the color of the sole--it is a light, natural rubber color, the color of a gum eraser. If anyone wants detailed pics, I can provide them.

Here's a gum eraser:

aurorahermione

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would have found it if it existed, but in case I didn't:
Are there any images that are not shots from the movie basically? Like a pictures that was clearly a promo image that can serve as a reference color-wise (like those in the visual dictionary)?
I feel like everything looks like a different color in different light; looking now, my pants are definitely too dark, but it's so hard to tell in pictures. Is there any one set of images that will be used for color comparison in order to match colors?
It's just very hard when each different set of lighting looks like completely different colors.
spectreseven ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Colors Reply with quote

The only promo-style images I've seen are these two:

The drawing with the action figure where the vest looks dark grey (but then the action figure's vest is tan):

And this one which makes the vest look light grey-ish with tan undertones:
jedi_ric (rick chinn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion due to close in mid May, do we now have an agreed standard yet?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi_ric wrote:
Discussion due to close in mid May, do we now have an agreed standard yet?

Still working on it as far as I know - its a three step process, this is just step one.

• MEB Membership Officer
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: