Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9288b250c50df5c05597c81c4fbd3cc6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey belt question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinykari ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Rey belt question Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is an obvious answer! I'm putting together a Rey costume, and am about to start work on the belt. The vinyl I selected is pretty thin, so I am planning on stabilizing it. My normal method of stabilizing vinyl (especially with a white wrong side) is to sandwich a sew-in interfacing between two layers of vinyl, and edgestitch all around at about 1/8". However, Rey's belt has no obvious stitching.

Since there's no official CRL, I'm unsure if this would disqualify the belt or not. Opinions?
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vinyl belt would not be permissible for Rey. It is two leather belts. If you look in the reference photos thread for Rey you can see some photos of how it goes together. We should have a standard up in the next two weeks or so.
UCGR - DXO 2015
Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of contention, "leather or leather-like" has always been allowed for other costumes, to account for people who can't afford leather or have moral objections to using leather. I don't think it would be wise to break from convention on this point.

As for edge stitching, I would avoid that by using glue. You might need a couple of layers of heavier fabric, or even craft foam, but glue is definitely your friend. Just be sure to attach it very smoothly so you don't end up with any wrinkles.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl is not leather like. We do require leather belts for Hans, Lukes, and other face characters. Rey's belt can be cheaply acquired by getting two mens belts from the store that are larger then needed, taking the buckles off and cutting the holes part off adding the d ring and the slits needed to thread it through.
UCGR - DXO 2015

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's actually not true- you cannot do that, because the belt is one piece.

It's clearly a single unit, and if you're going to be that picky on material (and the right vinyl, with the right treatment, CAN look exactly like leather and it can and has been accepted in the past for other costumes), then I can't see why two separate belts would be allowed.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt in the movie is two belts. In fact they split when she gets on the speeder. Here are the references:

In the proposed standards we are allowing for the belt to be made from one single piece however, we are asking that a slight grooved line be added through the center to give the appearance of two belts. Please keep in mind that the bag needs to be on the bottom belt and that is also where the opening in the bottom belt is hidden. Vinyl will not carry the weight of the bag without tearing due to the belt weaving through itself to close.. That has been pointed out in WIPs by people that tried it.
UCGR - DXO 2015

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, I do not see two belts in either of those photos, nor did I see it come apart during the movie, and I have provided multiple examples showing that is one belt with no visible groove in it.

For another, unreinforced vinyl would not work, but you'd be shocked what you can do if you're determined enough. There are many fabric belting options that could give you the durability needed for this project, and you can buy it by the yard. It's important that we give our members with ethical objections to leather options for making this costume, otherwise we're basically telling them they can never have it approved without going against their own moral code.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
JainaSoloFel ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that leather-like should remain an option. Truly, I have seen some absolutely beautiful faux leather, and if it is done right, can be done quite well. Now, if you're talking the super cheap stuff, you can definitely run into problems. But there are ways of stabilizing leather-like materials to get the strength and stability that is needed. Leather itself is no guarantee of strength, depending on the type and quality of the leather. Obviously plastic-looking material should be out, but I see no reason at all to insist absolutely on leather. Leather-like is still perfectly acceptable.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JainaSoloFel wrote:
I agree that leather-like should remain an option. Truly, I have seen some absolutely beautiful faux leather, and if it is done right, can be done quite well. Now, if you're talking the super cheap stuff, you can definitely run into problems. But there are ways of stabilizing leather-like materials to get the strength and stability that is needed. Leather itself is no guarantee of strength, depending on the type and quality of the leather. Obviously plastic-looking material should be out, but I see no reason at all to insist absolutely on leather. Leather-like is still perfectly acceptable.

Leatherlike would be permitted.
UCGR - DXO 2015

ChewMikea ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 1 piece. See diagram below for exact measurements.

Belt -> http://tinyurl.com/h8qbt3n
shinykari ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. After I thought about it (and posted here), I realized gluing the face side to the interfacing would be my best plan.

The belt will absolutely support the bag, don't fret about that. And the vinyl is "leather-like;" I thought that would be assumed. it's not like I'm planning on making it out of red crocodile pleather or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: