Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd9c0faf9c0d93bde7b2d3f834ef73dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A Wing WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: A Wing WIP Reply with quote

Hi all.
I remember watching ROTJ as a kid and loving the A Wing fighters and rewinding the death star scenes over and over. I was putting together a haloween costume this year and then thought that it would take much more to turn it into a pilot costume.

Right now I am in the "gather materials" phase. I have a green flight suit that would need slight modification for pockets in the right places.

I also have a costume fight helmet that I picked up on a whim a while back and, with some extra bits added, could be a good x wing style helmet.

Found a good charcoal grey felt for a vest and some white canvasy material for the over vest.

Chest box wise I found a Tupperware that could be accessorized and some tubing added. I also found something good for webbing but don't have a pic currently.

Not sure if the pics are going to work first time but looking forward to this build and would love to hear any feedback you all have.

edit: Images incoming!
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the helmet and studied some x-wing helmet pictures. Using a leafing pen, I marked out the general layout of the additions to make it look like an xwing helmet

Front

Back

Side 1

Side 2

Colour scheme will be mostly white with the main rebel logo in red or green.

Next up the flight suit: My green knowledge isn't the best, but google tells me that this is hunter green. It looks brighter in direct light...

darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more progress tonight Smile

Did some webbing and made a belt! Ejection straps!

Put some time into some gaiters. Need to attach the extra bit onto the gaiters themselves but the toggles are attached!

Then added a white bib to the vest and toggles there too. I have some black strapping ready for the chest box but just need the time to greeb that out and paint, then assemble the two other parts. The bottom part is going to be a painted altoids box, which will be able to close over the ejection strap on the top. More on this later.

The materials on this are in a flap right now, but both will settle down and into each other with some wear and a bit of ironing and stitching.

Next to do are to build on the helmet and the chest box. I don't have anything solid for the side hose or for the gauntlets yet, but working on those soon.

Michael
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I took a yoga mat apart to start adding depth and contours to the flight helmet. Mohawk in progress here. It's still a little flat in places but it's not stuck down yet so it can still move around.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good so far. Though just to let you know, there is no D-ring on the belt. It uses a 2" black plastic side-release buckle at the back. Smile

And what kind of helmet is that? Maybe it's just the lighting but it looks ind of different than an X-wing pilot helmet...

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your post above with the pictures of the helmet. Depending on how convincing you can make that helmet look like an X-wing pilot helmet it might not meet the standards for approval. But a helmet isn't required for approval.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FoxhoundTCF (Ashley Tyler)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
And what kind of helmet is that? Maybe it's just the lighting but it looks ind of different than an X-wing pilot helmet...

Looks like it could be a good base for the Episode VII helmet

darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Looking pretty good so far. Though just to let you know, there is no D-ring on the belt. It uses a 2" black plastic side-release buckle at the back. Smile

Thats good to know! Thank you Smile The CRLs said web belt, and I had no idea what it meant by that lol. I have a 2" clip I can use and sew into, that should be no problem.

Quote:
And what kind of helmet is that? Maybe it's just the lighting but it looks ind of different than an X-wing pilot helmet... Edit: Nevermind, I just saw your post above with the pictures of the helmet. Depending on how convincing you can make that helmet look like an X-wing pilot helmet it might not meet the standards for approval. But a helmet isn't required for approval.

The helmet is not cooperating lol. I found a halloween helmet at Target yesterday and its super low quality. With some fiberglass work it could work but I am going to put the x-wing helmet on hold for now.

In the mean time I found a fabric helmet, that would go better with the A-Wing look anyway... bidding ends in 6 days Smile

Quote:
Looks like it could be a good base for the Episode VII helmet

Lets see what Episode VII has to offer first lol. I could totally get into the idea of a second costume but my fabric abilities are severely lacking right now.

Thanks for the good feedback everyone. This weekend has been busy, but more to come this week!
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shipment finally worked its way from China. This bad boy would act as the cloth helmet alternative. Quick question though. The CRLs say a tan helmet. There is an image from the reference images that show A wing pilots with green hats. Is that my imagination and would this work? or should I bleach this out to get it to a tan colour?

Thanks all for the feedback. Still trying to find a 2 inch buckle for the web belt and a suitable container for the chest box.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of the green caps in Star Wars? I don't remember seeing any like that. The caps they wore were various types of AN-H-15 caps, which were tan or beige in color, though the leather bits were various colors (some pilots had black, others brown, some had red-brown, some had long leather cheeks like Endor troopers, etc.). The "ear domes" should be black. And there shouldn't be any ribbing on the top of the cap.

This is similar to what was worn in RotJ...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the images I found before starting. I'm not sure if I found it here or somewhere similar, and yes, this guy has black ear caps, but it looks like the cap is the same colour as the flight suit...

Michael
MHG (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well, honestly...i think the colours shown (cap and suit) are not even close and differ entirely...sorry to say that
A-Wing Pilot RotJ - @RL
darkwolf ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biggie. I'll keep working Smile
MHG (Michael)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i'm sure you'll find the right coloured one... Wink
A-Wing Pilot RotJ - @RL
Lukeluca (Luke Wallace)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Spare An-H-15 Reply with quote

I picked up a spare AN-H-15 on ebay a while back just in case an Endoor Trooper or A-Wing pilot needed it someday. I'll try to take some pics soon and get them posted, in case it meets your needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: