About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=71875f84c4a9b4c88c2441d1e1820f75Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg Reply with quote

<P>The Midwest Base is starting to gather information, screen captures, observations, and just about anything we can get our hands on regarding the Hoth Rebel Soldier costume....</P>
<P>we hope to gather the information....and then start to try to get some of these costumes made by helping each other gather the "facts"....we have only like 2 of these costumes here at the Rebel Legion (we are not talking Han or Luke on Hoth...just the "foot soldiers")</P>
<P>The topic can be found here...and may the force be with us!</P>
<P><A href="http://phpnuke.midwestbase.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=341&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" border="0" target="_blank">http://phpnuke.midwestbase.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=341&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0</A></P>

Last edited by Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte) on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I have also gone back through all of the threads here in this forum regarding the Hoth Soldier...there have been a few people that have expressed an interest in this costume...

Here are some excellent refernce photos to get your blood pumping..

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches2.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches3.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothSoldier.jpg

http://www.holored.com/media/images/Classic%20Episodes%20IV,%20V,%20VI/Hoth%201/HothTrenches.jpg

I have begun to "break down" the costume pieces and wondered what of the items would be necessary for formal and informal...the costume elements are:

Hat
Goggles
Com device/ear piece on hat
Scarf
Gloves
Blaster - DH-17 - modified from RFT
Backpack
Jacket (it appears the "vest" is built in and one piece)
Pouch
Pants (appear to be BDU) -khaki? or grey? depends on the photo you look at
Boots (appears most any "winter" boot would be acceptable as the boot is almost completely covered by a "gaiter")
Gaiters
Wrist Comm
Holster ( the HRS have DH-17's in a holster besides their rifle) and the holster appears to have loops for more greeblies...
Greeblies on the right front vest - thermal device?-they appear to be the exact same greeblies that the ERS has....
Rank Badge

belt-buckle-greeblie

possible fabric for part of hat and jacket"

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-shop-by-category-pre-quilted-fabric-double-sided-quilted-broadcloth-fabric-double-sided-quilted-broadcloth-cream.aspx

would prefer 100% cotton though...

Krash ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

I'll start doing some research to focus on the packpack (should be similar to the Endor backpack?)
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Check out Rogue9's pack in the "Battlefront Commando" thread.
Kyle Darklighter (Garrett K McCarthy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

OK I'll throw in what I know of generic Hoth uniforms. With the soldiers the there are 2 versions of the outfit. The studio shots & the location shots. The studio version has swede boots(Mocassin style), and thinner materials used. The location version has brown "Duck Boots" with nylon Gators on them. The backpack is almost identical to the one for the Endor troops. The Jacket is a treated canvas or nylon blend I think, with matching pants. I don't think they are BDU's but they may be leftover Swiss Mil Surplus. They have a neckline that extends to just under the chin. The Vest is a separate piece. Pay particular attention to where the quilting is on all parts.

The hat is the same construction as the Imperial officer caps but with quilted ear flaps and a little strap in the back to hold the goggles on. The scarf & pouches are a light olive drab. The gloves can be made with a set of gray gardening gloves available at Home Depot and sewing a strip of reenforces fabric for the cuff.

If I think of any other details I'll post them as well. Try and do a search of old posts by Mookie. An archived copy of his reseach thread may still exist.

Garrett

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Thank you Kyle...you are the best person to get information from because you have already been down the road...no one knows better than someone who has done it!

I assure you ...this costume will get realized! 

I have contacted a very well known "Imperial Hat Maker" and proposed a project (on my dime) to get a proto-type and tutorial done...and then there may be opportunities for getting a ready made one...that is in the works...and I hope she takes the job on...

Next, one of our Midwest Base members has also been a busy little bee and has started some resin pieces....who knows where that can lead...

I have also approached a "gaiter maker"....

As noted...I really won't get deeper into this project for a couple months...but am trying to lay the groundwork......I intend to work on the Hoth jacket...and on the holster as my first projects...

but NOT until my Endor Rebel Soldier is complete..and the tutorial done...lol...

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by Krash on 23 January 2007

I'll start doing some research to focus on the packpack (should be similar to the Endor backpack?)

Similar to the hard pack yes....and also there might be a few pieces of the Sandtrooper backpack that could be utilized...and there are lots of tutorials out there on the Sandtrooper packs....

One thing to definitely do is start a "favorite search" on e-bay to try to obtain a worn out pack just for the frame...

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Step one completed... 

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201501555/1

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/schphgochi/album/576460762387036205/photo/294928804201492199/1

navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

First time resin casting. This is the wrist comm unit.

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

AWESOME!
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

and....

If I might ask everyone a question....

After looking at a bunch of screen captures and photos....to me the Hoth Jacket looks to be a cream color......I found some photos of Mookie at Dragon Con in the costume from several years ago and his jacket is clearly bright white.....

What is your opinion......cream?  or white?

I found a pretty good coat pattern that I think I can work with...and also purchased some of the "pre-quilted" fabric and dyed it tan.......lol...I am violating my rule of not working on this costume until I finish my Endor Rebel Soldier...but don't feel too bad because I did finish up the bandolier for the ERS yesterday....

Brill_Loquay ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

The Hoth Trooper pistol is basically the same one used as Ponda Baba in Ep 4, except for the handle.  The body of the pistol is taken from an AR-7 ArmaLite Survival Carbine (that fold up rifle that 007 carries in his briefcase in "From Russia With Love").  Ponda Baba's has a rod-type handle wrapped in red rubber tubing while the ESB Hoth Troopers utilizes the grip from a 9mm Sterling Submachinegun. 

I have no way of making these myself, but I could work up some schematics if someone else is capable of faux-gunsmithing. 

I'm glad the rest of the world has become interested in the HT costume!

Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

This is a in progress AR-7 Blaster (mine actually Smile )

The scope is also different from Ponda Boba's Version.

But there were Hoth Troopers armed with the DH-17 (the ESB Version witht he Mag Well attached) so both pistols are accurate.

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

lol...but...

jacket....

cream? or white?

jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rebel Soldier...join the quest for knowledge Reply with quote

Greetings,

Here is my modified DH-17. The troopers wore them on the right side with the grips facing forward in a reach across type set up.

Brian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 1 of 48

Jump to: