Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6ba243574c5e2b190a9b002ce16ac63Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mesh Suit and foot/platforms Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain Wookiee (Shane)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Mesh Suit and foot/platforms Questions Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm new to all this wookiee building stuff and I am looking at making a mesh suit to use synthetic hair latch hooked onto a 2 piece suit.
I have read the duck tutorial etc but have a few questions:

Duck had great diagrams but not sure I get how he did the waist. Do you add a material piece there sewn to the mesh like a belt? Then looks like suspenders are a good option. Any suggestion on source for these.

Also the measurements for the suit from duck are great but is their also a standard pattern that people use? I have seen someone mention a hockey Jersy pattern. I can sew but have not really dabbled in making up a pattern from scratch. Should I just take ducks measurements and roll with it? How easy would that option be? Scale of 1-10? Smile

How are people doing the lower leg to foot transition? Are you physically attaching the bottom of the leg to the shoe?

I am 6' and aim for a 7'4" wookie using platforms. I am a solid 200lbs

Sorry if there are other good posts on this. Did a search and couldn't find the details.
Cheers
Shane
Dance Chewie

Last edited by Mountain Wookiee (Shane) on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Deathmagnet (Jonathan)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a pair of pajama pants as my template. I extended to length and flared to bottoms out to fit over my feet and overhang my stilts. I intend to use suspenders also. I think I am going to do like you said and fold a piece of fabric over the top of the mesh waist and sew it. I haven't decided if I am going to see my suspenders in, or use the clips.

I plan on using a hockey jersey as my template for the top. I am waiting in more mesh though. I hope this helps. I am trial and erroring my way through this one.
Mountain Wookiee (Shane)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!
I picked up a PJ pattern today. Looks like the shirt will work too with some minor tweaking.
My mesh arrived today too from joann's. Pumped to sew it together.

Think it would be wise to build my feet first though and then make sure the mesh suit fits the feet. Planning on platforms to bring me to 7'4". That means12" platforms. Laminating 3 2" insulating foam blocks together with 1/4 " plywood between to help stop compression of the feet. Hope it works!
Dance Chewie Dance Chewie
Deathmagnet (Jonathan)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with my feet as well. For that exact same reason too.
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first made feel with plywood inserts and found them to be WAY too heavy. The feet would pull my shoes off my heel and I would get tremendous blisters on my heel. I remade my feet with only foam insulation and they are light and glorious and no foam compression. Skip the wood and help your feet.
Mountain Wookiee (Shane)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Ok that's awesome advice. I have mocked up my platforms and would love feedback. Are the too tall? Should I increase the angle or is it super uncomfortable if you go further than this. I would like 12" if possible with this system but am I going to get too much "big foot syndrome". Trying to avoid stilts. I am 6' so platforms at 12" would make me 7'4" assuming the mask gives me 4"

Width is 6" with 3 foam blocks laminated. Would 8" ie 4 blocks laminated and shaped be too wide?

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/136851635@N05/22036001691/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/136851635@N05/21839344099/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/136851635@N05/21838090960/
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shane,
Welcome! Have you been over to the Wookiee forums? Lots of advice and tutorials to be had there including a suggested supply list. Have you considered the "kiss boots" method for achieving the 7' height requirement? The only reason I ask is because those boots will give you more mobility in the long run than stilts or constructed platforms. They also make it much easier to keep your proportions correct. Big feet are something that affects a lot of costume submissions. We are all here to help. Welcome to the clan!

Cheers,
Ginger

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Mountain Wookiee (Shane)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ginger,
Thanks for the input. Yes I have done a bunch of reading and looking at how to achieve the right height. It appears that there are quite a few people using stilts and some that use the kiss boots or construction platform. It appears that each method has its drawbacks. Stilts seem to have the massive lower leg/ calf issue and harder to crouch for pics, the construction method looks like it has issues of big feet and proportions. It has the advantage of low cost which is important for me!
Kiss boots look good but not sure I could get them tall enough to make the 7' mark. I was hoping for at least 7'4 as all the things I've read have mentioned that and above to be a preferable size even if the standard is 7'

So on the construction platform method what is acceptable for foot volume, or recommended? I imagine that the forefoot shouldn't measure higher than "x" and the width shouldn't be wider than "x" and the foot should be no longer than "x" inches long. Is there a written standard on this somewhere?

Looking at ducks tutorial he mentioned he was 6'2" and his system gave him 8-9". I think I would need the. 10-11" to achieve the same hight. Is this totally unreasonable with the construction method? I have all the supplies for this way so was hoping to make it work if possible
Bacca9 (Jamie)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanemun wrote:
Hi Ginger,
Thanks for the input. Yes I have done a bunch of reading and looking at how to achieve the right height. It appears that there are quite a few people using stilts and some that use the kiss boots or construction platform. It appears that each method has its drawbacks. Stilts seem to have the massive lower leg/ calf issue and harder to crouch for pics, the construction method looks like it has issues of big feet and proportions. It has the advantage of low cost which is important for me!
Kiss boots look good but not sure I could get them tall enough to make the 7' mark. I was hoping for at least 7'4 as all the things I've read have mentioned that and above to be a preferable size even if the standard is 7'

So on the construction platform method what is acceptable for foot volume, or recommended? I imagine that the forefoot shouldn't measure higher than "x" and the width shouldn't be wider than "x" and the foot should be no longer than "x" inches long. Is there a written standard on this somewhere?

Looking at ducks tutorial he mentioned he was 6'2" and his system gave him 8-9". I think I would need the. 10-11" to achieve the same hight. Is this totally unreasonable with the construction method? I have all the supplies for this way so was hoping to make it work if possible

Remember that your mask will add 3"-4" so keep that in mind with your calculations Smile And for acceptance into the legion, you only need to be 7' The most important thing is that you be comfortable walking around in costume Smile The platforms have one major safety issue in that you could easily roll your ankle if you don't add some sort of side support. When you are constructing the platforms, you may want to mount your shoe on a steep incline so you don't end up with blocky feet. Sparrow's build on the forums shows this method I believe. His is a great example for you since he had to alter his feet for acceptance. Maybe that would give you an idea of how large to start? I think you will do just fine, brother Smile You have a great outlook on your build and are asking good questions.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: